R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #16
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by trickd122 View Post
Yes you do get more runtime on lower nitro content fuel where I WILL DISAGREE is with power. Logically higher nitro will have to produce more power however where in the power band is what makes the difference. Think of the nitro content as sticks of dynamite if you will. The more the nitro the BIGGER the explosion and thus creating more power. This is primarily the reason OFFROAD guys use higher nitro where insane speeds isn't the objective.
Ok it may make a difference but you wont feel it at all the dyno does not lie and Uriah has dynoed on both % of fuel
Mom & Dad
RCAKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 07:15 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAKid View Post
Ok it may make a difference but you wont feel it at all the dyno does not lie and Uriah has dynoed on both % of fuel
I think you and I are agruing for the same point here. However I will add that when an engine is dynoed for RC racing typically it is the upper limits of the RMP range/band that is usually considered. What is generally not measured is the low-end Torque from say (this is only hypothetical) 20,000 ish range and lower. Which is why when you look at the sppec sheet of an engine you will see something like this 1.89 hp @ 41,000 rpm. Problem is, It is at this lower range where the higher nitro content will make the most significant difference, beyond that the engines will usually rev the same. They all have limits.

This is by no means to say that you cannot succcessfully fun 25% in a 12 motor. The MAX engines are from what I understand in most cases are setup to run 20-25%. This is partly due to the combustion chamber and squish band design. It is the burning / detonation fo the fuel that is of the utmost concern,

FACT
Nitromethane, is different from other fuels. It is classified as a mono-propellant. 53 percent of Nitromethane by weight is oxygen, which means it can ignite without any external introduction of oxygen. Nitro burns with a flame front that travels around 850 feet per second.

Simply put MORE NITRO MORE HEAVIER DETONANTION

Again for the type of racing we do it is advantageous for us to find a happy medium between runtime and power.

Last edited by trickd122; 12-23-2009 at 07:03 AM.
trickd122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:40 AM   #18
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAKid View Post
Thats not always true our motor guy Uriah MURNAN SAID THAT THE MOTORS MAKE JUST AS MUCH HORSEPOWER on 16 then on 30 and you get make more runtime on 16%
I did not say 30 makes as much power as 16. I might have said that 16 is just as fast on the track as 30 when shimmed correctly. The more nitro will add more power. That is a fact. 16% will have similar top rpm, but the 30 will get there faster, and use more fuel to do it.

With 16% which is what the .12's come shimmed for from the factory you get good runtime, and good power. That is also what is required to be run at the World Championship for 200mm sedans.

With my on road modified engines, there is not much need for more than 16% nitro. We are still roasting the tires off the cars. 30% Nitro will just waste tires, fuel, etc...

For 8th on road if you can afford to lose runtime, use 25% nitro. Most people are using less than the max allowed nitro in 8th on road just to make 5 minutes of runtime. If not they are making a pit stop at around the 3 minute mark.

It is obvious in 8th on road when someone is going to try for 5 minutes, or going to pit at 3 minutes. The 5 minute engine is way slower than the 3 minute fire breathers. The funny thing is that with a pit stop the faster engines are still faster than the de-tuned 5 minute engines. Most of the time.

I also run 16% in all of my modified off road engines. I still have too much power, and runtime for days. It's fun to blow past people who are using almost twice the nitro as me in the dirt, and keep on going after they have run out of fuel.

However, in drag racing 132 feet we use 55%+ nitro. Oh yea talk about instant full power.

Nitro makes power.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:59 AM   #19
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinder View Post
I did not say 30 makes as much power as 16. I might have said that 16 is just as fast on the track as 30 when shimmed correctly. The more nitro will add more power. That is a fact. 16% will have similar top rpm, but the 30 will get there faster, and use more fuel to do it.

With 16% which is what the .12's come shimmed for from the factory you get good runtime, and good power. That is also what is required to be run at the World Championship for 200mm sedans.

With my on road modified engines, there is not much need for more than 16% nitro. We are still roasting the tires off the cars. 30% Nitro will just waste tires, fuel, etc...

For 8th on road if you can afford to lose runtime, use 25% nitro. Most people are using less than the max allowed nitro in 8th on road just to make 5 minutes of runtime. If not they are making a pit stop at around the 3 minute mark.

It is obvious in 8th on road when someone is going to try for 5 minutes, or going to pit at 3 minutes. The 5 minute engine is way slower than the 3 minute fire breathers. The funny thing is that with a pit stop the faster engines are still faster than the de-tuned 5 minute engines. Most of the time.

I also run 16% in all of my modified off road engines. I still have too much power, and runtime for days. It's fun to blow past people who are using almost twice the nitro as me in the dirt, and keep on going after they have run out of fuel.

However, in drag racing 132 feet we use 55%+ nitro. Oh yea talk about instant full power.

Nitro makes power.
+1
BTW I am impressed with you RBs Fast and runtime,
Wish I had 1
Old 03-16-2010, 01:02 AM   #20
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Big Win At Forgass RD 6 For J-Tech Fuel

By the Way, Winner's car got almost 6 mins before fuel stop.

Both TQ and Winner

J-tech team car

EDUARDO CABAL TQ

Felix Law Winner
chinamonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:26 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Speedypeterb
Default fuel

congats Jason alwayl a good showing for your fuel, wish I could have raced see you guys soon
Old 04-12-2010, 09:10 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Default forgass champions

Congratulations to Scotty Gray and Edurado Cabal Florida on road state series Champions 2009-2010 1/8 and sedan Both were running J-Tech Fuel
Old 04-12-2010, 09:42 PM   #23
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedypeterb View Post
Congratulations to Scotty Gray and Edurado Cabal Florida on road state series Champions 2009-2010 1/8 and sedan Both were running J-Tech Fuel
+1 Congrats to the J-Team
Speedy nice showing in the A Finals see ya soon
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #24
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedypeterb View Post
ya congrtas to scotty and the crew at j tech
Old 04-13-2010, 12:22 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Default a-main forgass

I forgot to mention that the top 3 qualifiers in A=Main sedan were running J-Tech fuel
Old 04-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #26
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Jason Bell = King of "fuel mileage"
chinamonkey7 is offline   Reply With Quote