R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-01-2004, 02:42 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Help! Should i just replace P/S or whole engine?

Hi,

I just broke the Piston and sleeve on my Novarossi RS12 5 port engine. I hope someone will give me some advice:

Should i just replace the Piston and sleeve only or whole engine but cost much more. (There are a lot of little tiny debris inside the engine) My concern is if i replace piston and sleeve only.... is the power and performance same as a new engine after replacment? Is there anything i need to replace as well while i am doing it. (like maybe gasket or sealent?)
How do i replace it? Any link or url for instruction?

If you are me. Will you replace piston and sleeve or just buy a new engine?
US_MATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 06:55 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Default Help! Should i just replace P/S or whole engine?

US_MATRIX;

If the engine failed under power, I would recommend a thorough inspection of the entire engine under a magnifier. Those "little tiny debris inside the engine" can cause alot of damage in a matter of seconds.

The crankshaft, conrod and bearings may all be damaged. By the time you add it all up, it's better to buy a new engine (IMHO).
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2004, 11:51 PM   #3
Tech Apprentice

imho, i think you should just break down and buy new engine, p/s are going to cost 3/4 what a new engine will cost. plus you have debi in the engine, if you don't get all that out like pops stated you just wasted more $
rene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 07:21 AM   #4
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by rene
imho, i think you should just break down and buy new engine, p/s are going to cost 3/4 what a new engine will cost. plus you have debi in the engine, if you don't get all that out like pops stated you just wasted more $
i know they are expensive especially novarossi base engines . I my self have a os tr , not the strongest engines out there but i have done very well with that motor and the best thing is that a new piston and sleeve can be bought on line for about $39 bucks.
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2004, 08:04 AM   #5
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to Solara Send a message via AIM to Solara

So....another Nova Rossi RS12 T5? Yeah, friend of mine did the same thing (actually, the whole P/S melt into something....)

You have to understand, you are not just going to replace the P/S only....the shaft within the pisteon, and the conrod......then you have to make sure your SG crank is still working........but the most important parts - those bearing.........you might have to replace them.

If you buy them parts seperately, I garantee you it will cost MORE then a new engine price....

I would sell the leftover on ebay for like $50-80 (someone might want the heat sink or the crank case or the bearing or the carb or the TURBO button or the SG crank.....etc) then use the money to buy yourself a new engine (for another $100 plus).....you have to understand, your new P/S from Nova Rossi can cost you around $100 US and you still need the conrod and stuff.......so you have to spend that $100 anyhow, might as well get a NEW ENGINE to start with.
Solara is offline   Reply With Quote