R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-24-2009, 06:11 AM   #61
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by *1speedy View Post
GMartinez I just looked at the posts on this thread & itís obvious you are a hater of rubber tires, Jeff, & Ipanema.

We GT racers have not found a rubber tire to be Ipanema's equal, so it would only make sense that they could be VERY good for this 200mm class also.

I do not give a flying ratís azz if you have made up your mind or if your constant distaste of Jspeeds posts obviously makes you sick the FACT is his tires work Extremely well.

Your latest comment about getting one if the "class takes off" is apparently pending other peoples R&D over the next season and is the wrong example to help make this class grow. Is this not one of the reasons for this discussion to begin with? With all your experience it would not be prudent to continue saying what wonít work because you have not tried these tires and obviously you donít care to which is your right.

If these tires that Jspeed is talking about donít work there will be plenty of peeps including me that will not use them or recommend so why be the one that says "they will not work" unless you have tried them?

If youíre so full of blissfull knowledge on how to rebirth this class by all means...

As to you accusing Jspeed of threatening you was that done in person because I didnít see that on any posts, and in case you have not noticed there have been more than just a few people on this post that did not know Ipanema made tires for 200mm and do want to try them because of their past success with Ipanema.

If your continued hatred on these tires is what you would like to rattle about why not just wait and see and stop the hate. Looks like to me if you continue on this path you are in more dire need of a BJ than any man in RC history.
Dude wake up & no need to hide behind your member name post your real name as I don''t have to hide behind 1
you have 29 post wonder who you really are.
you really need to review what you read cause in no way did I bash the (I) brand & If you think you know Jspeed post who you are cause I know him personally not like some other members who don't even reside in the same state
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:47 AM   #62
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez View Post
Jim is Roland still racing he was always fast in 1/12th until Haynes stepped up those was the days in Southshore 1 of my favorite places to race carpet
Last I heard Mike Mal is into Air rifles & still collecting Knives
Tell the fellas Happy Holidays & Happy New Year
The big craze here in NYC is Mini Z! Willie, Roland, and a couple others opened a mini z track in College Point. And Richie has a nice track in the basement of the store. These guys are just as crazy with these things as they are with 8th scale.

Whatever Mike is into, give him a week, he'll be into something else!
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:02 AM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hey George,

Hope all is well see you at the fort in January for the state race.

FYI,

Dont bother trying to argue with these guys it is a waste of time.

For other people reading the post George is super nice guy and no need to bash him when he states his opinion.

Secondly Sam at kamikaze is also friendly and was very helpful when I spoke with him on the phone a while back. He took the time to answer a bunch of questions on engine when I was just starting to run nitro from electric. The guy is on rctech all the time actually spends money for a baner etc.

Good luck with the Novarossi Race at Crystal Park. I cant make it just to close to the two races at fort myers. Keep an eye out for june/july race date for the Novarossi #2 at Controlfreakz in Connecticut.

Cheers
Jamie Gonzalez
J.Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 11:36 AM   #64
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie_b View Post
Ok boys...lets clean this up. Comment on the possibility of the class, not each other.
+1000 to what Charlie said.

I don't know the history and bad blood amongst you guys but it should have nothing to do with the class. I'm not affiliated with HPI, RP/ Sorex, Ipanema, Ellegi etc. I saw a thread that interests me and a class that will get me out on the track to compete and have fun.

So let's focus here:

1. Any 200mm 4wd Nitro Touring Chassis: Agree
2. Any Realistic 200mm Body: Agree
3. Any realistic Wheels: Agree

My additions
4. Tyres: rubber only! I'd like to see a few options not just HPI X Pattern. So lets allow Sorex, Ipanema, Tamiya. They all cost about the same right? They're all one online purchase away.. so its not something that will be unattainable like a NR 353 Race.

5. Engines: The tricky part. Do we limit by price? Under $200 fair?

Majority .12's are 3 port, so saying only 3 port wont make it an even playing field. The Pico JLR for 179 will do laps around an OS 12 TG
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 01:20 PM   #65
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez View Post
Dude wake up & no need to hide behind your member name post your real name as I don''t have to hide behind 1
you have 29 post wonder who you really are.
you really need to review what you read cause in no way did I bash the (I) brand & If you think you know Jspeed post who you are cause I know him personally not like some other members who don't even reside in the same state
Thatís your come back "Dude" LMAO

Now youíre attacking me because you donít know who I am ?

Since you feel you need to know who I am I will make it easy for you Iíll be at the Ipanema GT World Championship race in Miami in March so come down and ask Jeff to point me out my name is Leon, and you curiosity can be settled right there, or is it you that will be doing the hiding?

Why do my 29 posts have you all up in arms?

Your massive 4000+ posts should make you some type of expert and for all I know you may be the most knowledgeable person on the forum but your recent adolescent posts with all these attacks donít show it.

This whole rubber tire topic to "HELP REVIVE" this class has been appreciated by most everyone but you. Why not take your little tuff guy contest with Jspeed & Ipanema up with him 1:1? Especially since you have made the statement that you know him so well & live near him or at least thatís what you implied on your recent post.

Why not come up with something to help with this class instead of all this hate. At least Jspeed is trying to help bring the class in a forward direction with a possible product to help, what have you done besides put words in other peopleís mouths?
*1speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #66
Tech Regular

There would be no reason to start limiting HP as a med traction tire like the x pattern takes care of that. The whole idea of the class is to limit the power to the ground through the use of available tire traction. Having the choice of traction tires (and the ensuing available HP) defeats the whole purpose of the class. If HPI had wanted traction, they could have spec'd out another tire.

The purpose of this class is to allow ANY chassis and ANY engine to compete, and get RC racers back to their parking lot roots....( which, BTW, I have been doing since 1996)

Anyone who has even seen RC GT's run at the Challenge will agree that x patterns run fine. If they don't run fine for you, learn to tune your car for more roll.

So stop with all the video game forum, internet tough guy, I'm a racer who knows it all, and I'm trying to advertise my line of tires drama.......

Start posting your experiences with the RC GT series and what you can do to promote the class or tell us how you have raced in a RC GT race and your current car tune....
Old 12-24-2009, 04:44 PM   #67
Tech Elite

Harry you want to spec the tyre but not the motor or limit HP?

RCGT has a motor limit of 17.5 brushless / 27T Brushed as well as a Spec'd tire.

Fact of the matter is, the limits of any tyre can be over come with proper set up. So lets say you spec the X pattern, an experienced race shows up with a dialed in car, and 5 port outlaw .12. He'll pass everyone standing still on the back straight. Sorry but there has to be a motor limit.

"I'm trying to advertise my line of tires drama." I personally do not have a line of tyres. I'd like to have a choice. On the other hand, I do see a lot of people pushing HPI's X Pattern. So maybe they're getting kick backs from HPI?

Last: What does this thread / class have to do with HPI? I understand HPI came up with the electric RCGT class. But does that mean HPI has the rights to this RCGT Nitro class and every new variation of it that pops up?
Old 12-24-2009, 05:56 PM   #68
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
Harry you want to spec the tyre but not the motor or limit HP?

RCGT has a motor limit of 17.5 brushless / 27T Brushed as well as a Spec'd tire.

Fact of the matter is, the limits of any tyre can be over come with proper set up. So lets say you spec the X pattern, an experienced race shows up with a dialed in car, and 5 port outlaw .12. He'll pass everyone standing still on the back straight. Sorry but there has to be a motor limit.

"I'm trying to advertise my line of tires drama." I personally do not have a line of tyres. I'd like to have a choice. On the other hand, I do see a lot of people pushing HPI's X Pattern. So maybe they're getting kick backs from HPI?

Last: What does this thread / class have to do with HPI? I understand HPI came up with the electric RCGT class. But does that mean HPI has the rights to this RCGT Nitro class and every new variation of it that pops up?

No one that is a serious racer is converting his modern day , nova equipped, foam tired touring car to run on rubber tires. The whole idea of the GT series (and HPI runs a NITRO RC GT series at the challenge) is to get all our old crap out of the closet and get running in a parking lot like the old days. And there aren't many 2 hp fire breathers laying around in a closet.

On a 100 foot back stretch, and the ensuing corners on a med parking lot track, you are not going to see much difference between motors. I have proven that myself by beating modern day touring cars with 400 dollar motors with a r40 and 4 year old non turbo 3 port RB.

And anyone that has been at a HPI Challenge, where HPI lets you run ANY 12 small block will attest to that fact. Now, if you want to run RC GT at raceway 301, and you are starting fresh, you could spec ONE motor. But, you are now starting a whole new money class instead of allowing everyone to run what you brung.

If someone wants to bring a 400 dollar motored, ultra modern touring car to a asphalt parking lot on x pattern tires and a non stratus body, I would put money on it that he gets beat by a car with half the power.

And yeah, I feel HPI deserves a RC GT name, nitro or electric. You want to run a spec class at your track?....Start by getting a new name.

HPI doesn't give Kickbacks......Racers use x patterns and GT style bodys ( remember, NO Racing bodies) because the formula works.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:43 PM   #69
Tech Elite

People are showing up to RCGT class with TRF416 and Xray T3's. So a person can easily show up to an RCGT Nitro class with the latest car from V One RRR or a Serpent 733.

Not every person that owns a 733 races it. Some actually have it because they like the high tech car. Some have it as a shelf queen because its carbon and aluminium.

The title doesn't say "HPI's Nitro RCGT,". I don't get why everyone is so set on these X Pattern tyres. The class is not limited to HPI bodies? You can use realistic bodies by Tamiya and Kyosho.. Whatever, none of this makes sense.. its the same elitist know it all attitude that made me not want to race in the first place.

You obviously race. I'm the guy who has always been on the fence.. before it was you have to run foams.. now its you have to run HPI X pattern..
Old 12-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #70
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to charlie_b Send a message via MSN to charlie_b Send a message via Yahoo to charlie_b

Clarification.

RCGT is HPI's baby. What helps make it HPI's property is the use of their tire, the X-pattern. If this is the choice to make a realistic non-TC class, then HPI tires will be used. If the consensus decides on another tire like the Jspeed tires, then the class should be called something else.
Examples:
Nitro TruSpec RC
Nitro GT
Nitro Supercar Class
Scale 10 Nitro
SCGT (Sports Car Grand Touring)
SCGTN (Sports Car Grand Touring Nitro)

You guys get the picture.

As far as chassis...it has been proven in our local RCGT series that the chassis doesn't matter. The 2 past series champs was a TB03 and a JL10. I been running a Cyclone S with no problems. If the deciding race programs want to limit the HP on the motors, so be it. With a spec tire, too much motor will most likely not be able to be used anyway. I say give it a few months, make this an experimental class for your club races and see what happens then report here. Im pretty sure the results will be just like RCGT. The fast guys will stick to the fast classes and the tru scale racers will have a place for their desires as well.

Im gonna post my simple rules on my site and hopefully i can get a scale nitro class at my races. If i can get HPI to help out with tires, or even Jspeed, i am more than willing to get this class off the ground like RCGT. 2010 will be an awesome year for racing for sure!
CFX Paintworks:="https://www.facebook.com/CFXPaintworks?fref=ts
TEAM ASSOCIATED|REEDY|HITEC|PARMA|PROTEKRC|SWEEP|IWATA| RPM|AMAIN|CREATEX/WICKED/AUTOAIR PAINTS|CFX|CAL RACEWAY
charlie_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 08:34 PM   #71
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raman View Post
People are showing up to RCGT class with TRF416 and Xray T3's. So a person can easily show up to an RCGT Nitro class with the latest car from V One RRR or a Serpent 733.

You can run a new car, you can run an old car. The tires are the one key that limits all the cars. I bet someone that knows how to set up an rs4 evo, which is designed for rubber tires would give a foam-car a good run on a tight parking lot course.

Not every person that owns a 733 races it. Some actually have it because they like the high tech car. Some have it as a shelf queen because its carbon and aluminium.

The title doesn't say "HPI's Nitro RCGT,". I don't get why everyone is so set on these X Pattern tyres. The class is not limited to HPI bodies? You can use realistic bodies by Tamiya and Kyosho.. Whatever, none of this makes sense.. its the same elitist know it all attitude that made me not want to race in the first place.

It's not an attitude...it's just going along with a proven formula and having fun.

You obviously race. I'm the guy who has always been on the fence.. before it was you have to run foams.. now its you have to run HPI X pattern..

You can still run foams, but you have to run with the big boys on a prepared track....and thats when you will really see the difference between set-ups, motors and chassis.

You should check out an HPI Challenge series sometime, and try racing. I think once you do, you will get it.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:24 PM   #72
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post
The big craze here in NYC is Mini Z! Willie, Roland, and a couple others opened a mini z track in College Point. And Richie has a nice track in the basement of the store. These guys are just as crazy with these things as they are with 8th scale.

Whatever Mike is into, give him a week, he'll be into something else!
Jim every time I call richie he's in the basement getting track time it's awesome to here you guys have something to do in the winter since a lot of indoor tracks are no longer around up there
Old 12-24-2009, 09:25 PM   #73
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by senna555 View Post
Hey George,

Hope all is well see you at the fort in January for the state race.

FYI,

Dont bother trying to argue with these guys it is a waste of time.

For other people reading the post George is super nice guy and no need to bash him when he states his opinion.

Secondly Sam at kamikaze is also friendly and was very helpful when I spoke with him on the phone a while back. He took the time to answer a bunch of questions on engine when I was just starting to run nitro from electric. The guy is on rctech all the time actually spends money for a baner etc.

Good luck with the Novarossi Race at Crystal Park. I cant make it just to close to the two races at fort myers. Keep an eye out for june/july race date for the Novarossi #2 at Controlfreakz in Connecticut.

Cheers
Jamie Gonzalez
See ya there & Happy Holidays
Old 12-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #74
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by *1speedy View Post
Thatís your come back "Dude" LMAO

Now youíre attacking me because you donít know who I am ?

Since you feel you need to know who I am I will make it easy for you Iíll be at the Ipanema GT World Championship race in Miami in March so come down and ask Jeff to point me out my name is Leon, and you curiosity can be settled right there, or is it you that will be doing the hiding?

Why do my 29 posts have you all up in arms?

Your massive 4000+ posts should make you some type of expert and for all I know you may be the most knowledgeable person on the forum but your recent adolescent posts with all these attacks donít show it.

This whole rubber tire topic to "HELP REVIVE" this class has been appreciated by most everyone but you. Why not take your little tuff guy contest with Jspeed & Ipanema up with him 1:1? Especially since you have made the statement that you know him so well & live near him or at least thatís what you implied on your recent post.

Why not come up with something to help with this class instead of all this hate. At least Jspeed is trying to help bring the class in a forward direction with a possible product to help, what have you done besides put words in other peopleís mouths?
It's easy to have 2 accounts on this forum so my thought on it was incorrect
Good Luck @ the race & this does not have anything to do with this class & was not bashing towards this class
+1 Harry I've been there as well to the HPI Challenge early 2000 it was in Jersey had a blast even when we got slammed with the heavy rain
Old 12-24-2009, 09:49 PM   #75
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Like charlie b clarified, many of you miss that the original RCGT class (electric) is the brainchild of HPI. So, they just extended the rules over to nitro to include those racers as well. I, like fastharry, and maybe a couple more on this thread have participated in HPI Challenge races and know what they are all about. We can tell you that past HPI races were HPI/Hot Bodies products only if you wanted to participate, tires included (and yes, HPI do make foam tires). Again, I have just about all types of HPI tires and can tell you, like fastharry, they are not as bad as some of you make them out to be. Their belted tires seem to last longer than any other tire that I have used from various other manufactures (inserts included).

Many of you still are failing to realize that this is a spec-type class to lure folks into and back to r/c racing. Many of you are trying to shoot it down before it gets going good. We older, more experienced racers are suppose to be ambassadors to this sport and are suppose to promote it in positive ways. All I am hearing from some of you is more of what won't work and how this or that needs to be this way or that (what "I" am used to running or the way "I" do it) instead of going with the flow to see if this is for you or will have fun running it. Unlike some of you, I would rather finish 5th in a tight race with good competitors than finish first several laps ahead of racers that are no where close to my driving abilities.

Again, give this class a chance to succeed in your area and try out the bodies, tires, etc before you start saying what will or will not work. Being short-sighted will no only doom this class, but it will keep dooming r/c racing as a whole as more and more people are going to do other things than to hang around a bunch of sour guys with bad attitudes.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote