R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-23-2009, 01:45 AM   #31
Tech Elite

George,

BTW....

Our 26mm pre-mounted belted-radial slicks have been used by "drag or Top-End" 200mm cars in the New Orleans area for the past year and they have been taken up to speeds in excess of 70 mph with no problems. OK
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:33 AM   #32
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

If I can throw my 2 cents in here (nobody asked but I'm doing it anyway, just because I like causing trouble )

George is right about the "pro" level of touring car, where the engines are so powerful those cars need foam tires just to keep them on the track.

But Jeff is talking about a new "sportsman" touring car class that uses rubber tires specifically to regulate the amount of power you need to be competitive. With rubber tires all the engine you need probably already came with the RTR you got. I mean a nitro class where a $150 engine is all you need to be competitive? How is this a bad thing?
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:42 AM   #33
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jspeed View Post
George,

BTW....

Our 26mm pre-mounted belted-radial slicks have been used by "drag or Top-End" 200mm cars in the New Orleans area for the past year and they have been taken up to speeds in excess of 70 mph with no problems. OK
Drag Racing is off topic you guys are talking about concourse racing.
which puts on 2 different types of stress points on the seams of rubber tire.
Thanks Jim it's been a while since I lived in N.Y do you remember when they used to run the Tc3 in the parking lot back in the days I can't foget the stories Mike & phil used to rant about
Not putting an arguement but good luck to bringing back the class into play just putting in an open comment into the block
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon

Last edited by GMartinez; 12-23-2009 at 06:55 AM.
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:54 AM   #34
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
No sir, Jeff's comment is not BS. I have run many brands of rubber tires on nitro cars since 2001. Yes, this includes engines from the OS 12cv (red head)to the Max Power 12MF S3. It is only hard when you want it to be. I have tried rubber tires from Prolines to BSR capped to HPI to Take Off/RP tires. Most club tracks are not going to be the size of the tracks at 301, Kissimmee, Homestead, etc. so you are not going to be running them at max power for 300+ feet on a straightaway. Again, many of you are failing to realize that this is for mainly club track racing where groomed surfaces may be low as far as being blown off and traction compounds are sprayed (will probably be a bit dusty). Your thoughts are concentrated only on our form of racing (big track with big HP with foam tires) and not for the little tracks which we graduated. Don't knock it until you try it. I am willing to give it a shot with an open mind, are you?
Don't talk what you don't know about me when they started the GT racing out here in Florida I was 1 of the 1st to support the racers needs for Kyosho with setups & tech support & yes I ran 1 a couple of times so I know from driver trials. It was very hard to get the car on point but I got it as close to perfect & no matter what tire compound you used the car was not consistent each qual do to temp changes so no matter what brand you use it all came to driving ability on regular club tracks & I go a bit further on satarted in 98 driving a yokomo & hpi & we used foams cause the rubber tires sucked on nitro but good luck & have fun & if the class gets off to a good start I'll get a rtr to have fun to bring back the memories & the BS is about Jeff's comment to Kamikaze not on the class
2017 U.S.World Nitro Cup Nov 29th - Dec 3rd
U.S.Open Fuel Championship Returning soon
GMartinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:39 AM   #35
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMartinez View Post
Thanks Jim it's been a while since I lived in N.Y do you remember when they used to run the Tc3 in the parking lot back in the days I can't foget the stories Mike & phil used to rant about
Mike still talks about those days. That's where he got his first taste of RC. Roland was trying hard to keep rubber tires on nitro TC's. Once the 1/8 scale compaines got into building touring cars foam tires were inevitable. Now forget it, cars are so fast that a touring car in the right hands (namely Jaime Corrado) will pass 1/8 scale cars.

RC racing, in particular on road racing, is so sick that any idea that will help needs to be tried.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 10:07 AM   #36
Tech Elite

It's a given Rubber tires for the most part will not hook up as well as Foams on a prepped track or even on some tracks with a little dirt... But having a rubber tire class will put a lot less emphasis on power.... This type of nitro class would be perfect for small parking lot events....
Old 12-23-2009, 10:16 AM   #37
Tech Elite

Quote:
Don't talk what you don't know about me when they started the GT racing out here in Florida I was 1 of the 1st to support the racers needs for Kyosho with setups & tech support & yes I ran 1 a couple of times so I know from driver trials. It was very hard to get the car on point but I got it as close to perfect & no matter what tire compound you used the car was not consistent each qual do to temp changes so no matter what brand you use it all came to driving ability on regular club tracks & I go a bit further on satarted in 98 driving a yokomo & hpi & we used foams cause the rubber tires sucked on nitro but good luck & have fun & if the class gets off to a good start I'll get a rtr to have fun to bring back the memories & the BS is about Jeff's comment to Kamikaze not on the class
George,
I’ll tell you what I do know as facts Bro and stop drinking the egg-nog, lol.

The only person you helped with IGT set-up was “Doc”. I only saw you drive IGT once, you looked fast on the track, OK sure, but as far as you being 1st to support GT racing with set-ups & tech, now that’s a joke my brother.

Now regarding my statement to Sammy……

He’s never seen, touched, held, tried or even smelled an Ipanema tire, so he doesn’t know “squat” about our products to make any statements about them.

All the GT racers across North America know more about Ipanema products than he does. He’s never purchased a pair for his store inventory, in spite the fact that GT racers across California want to purchase our slicks.

GT racers in California have to order Ipanema products from our dealers like Winner’s Circle, Brooklyn Hobbies, Bruckner Hobbies & RC Boyz, just to name a few of our great dealers.

So you might wanna get his approval first or maybe just let it go, before you try defending his “honor” and think about crossing me again on an open forum regarding Ipanema, OK Bro?

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-23-2009, 10:18 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiml View Post

RC racing, in particular on road racing, is so sick that any idea that will help needs to be tried.
+1
Well spoken!
Old 12-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #39
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
It's a given Rubber tires for the most part will not hook up as well as Foams on a prepped track or even on some tracks with a little dirt... But having a rubber tire class will put a lot less emphasis on power.... This type of nitro class would be perfect for small parking lot events....
+1
Another smart man speaks!
Old 12-23-2009, 12:45 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Dude, you are so concentrated on bashing rubber tires on nitro cars you can't see the forest for the trees. Like I stated in my previous post, I have tried just about every brand of rubber tire available on just about every surface with just about every type of .12 motor. Maybe for you, your driving style, and your setup they don't work. I have never had an issue and have even used a set to run a qualifier at a regional race once just to see if what you said is true, even back then. Out of 10 cars in that qualifier, I finished third with a set of rubber tires (Take Offs) with the other nine using foams.

I don't understand the bashing because of the use of rubber instead of foam. If this form of racing is not for you, just pass on it and continue to run what you are running. For others that may not be able to afford to do the bigger form of racing and might be content to run on the parking lot, this class is definitely for them. It is also good for exposure for both electric and nitro. Again, I am willing to give it a shot because right now, we need any "inclusive" form of racing to attract new blood or our number will continue to fall. I asked you if you are willing to give it a shot with an open mind but I guess not (you never answered my question). I gave IGT a shot and love the heck out of it and run it every chance I get. I am now doing electric carpet racing and am starting to like it (and with rubber tires). Like Jeff said, if you don't think outside the box sometimes, things will never progress forward. If we keep sticking to just our current forms of racing (in which attendance numbers are falling dramatically in many areas) and don't come up with maybe some new, catchy forms to attract the masses and maybe attract some former racers that stopped racing, we may all be looking at a bunch of "shelf queens" in the near future.
The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
There are 2 things in life that are infinite: the universe and stupidity.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:37 PM   #41
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)
Default Rubber tire nitro class?

I would love to see this class take off at the club and parking lot level. I think however, that there should be a spec rubber tire also. Or at least a spec shore rating and a spec width. I used to do parking lot racing about ten years ago and got left in the dust by other racers with multiple sets of foams while I had one for the front and two for the rears at best. Of course, they had more power in thier motors as well. No doubt rubber tires would limit the amount of power you would even want to put on your chassis. A spec tire would allow newbies to run RTR cars without having to account for temp changes and track conditions. Dusty or clean, hot or cold, every racer that races on the same parking lot or track face the same varying conditions on that given day. There are .12 motors out there that retail for about $100 with rear exhuast and about 1HP. That should probably be just enough power for the rubber tires. The OFNA Jammin 12 is one example. If this class takes off I just might bring back my old trinity PICCO motor and have a blast. And if we wanted to take it down a notch further, the race organizer can allow or not allow two-speeds. I love it when my car is coming down the street and it shifts, but in the interest of getting newbies in this class and having fun, I can do without it. I read in Europe they are doing that for 1/8 on-road, no two-speeds and only RWD. Sorry for the long post guys.
esymr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #42
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 108 (100%+)

If this class takes off in my area I'll be driving my OFNA OB4 with my old PICCO and not have to spend 300+ on the whatever is the current touring chassis and I won't have to spend 300+ on a race motor that will hold its edge for just a few races.
esymr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis M. View Post
only thing that might bring nitro onroad back....i know i miss it
RCP Customs-RC Juice
rkhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:47 PM   #44
Tech Apprentice

I like running foam tires for my GT cars, it hooks up and run like my RRR and 733, tried ipanema and wasn,t that great at all, it's all HYPE, I tested it back to back with PMT tires and the PMT are way better, it is very consistent in a 30 minute main, while the ipanema overheats, in my experience with ipanema it wears out faster toon definitely not worth the money, try PMT it, worth every penny.
Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 03:20 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

First I would like to say nice thread and very excited to see an RCGT Nitro class brewing. RCGT class is supposed to be scale realism right? Bodies are supposed to be realistic right? So should the tyres. You want to discourage newbies and have this class fail instantly.. limit it to foams. When the newb sees the chunks missing from his tyre and has to spend $12 each time.. he will ebay that car the next day.

I live in California and run my car at Crystal Park Raceway. I picked up a few pairs of Ipanema 26mm tyres in 40 and 45 shore just for kicks.. and let me tell you I was pleasantly surprised.. in fact they're hands down the best tyres I've ever owned.

I read a few comments earlier that rubber tyres can not handle the power of full blown race .12! I run a NR Plus 12 5SCT and these tyres hold up incredibly well. Personally I REFUSE to run foams every again.

Sam / Kamikaze: You have a great shop and certainly know your stuff. Technology changes all the time, I don't know how they did it, but these tyres don't balloon like rubber of the old days. Give them an honest shot.. you have nothing to loose. I'd much rather buy them from you then from some bloke in the midwest whom I'll never meet.
Raman is online now   Reply With Quote