R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-27-2004, 09:29 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Profoxcg
Thumbs up Building shocks - advise me please

I have a hard time building or filling my shocks with oil. I fill the up gradually as I move the shaft up and down to release the trapped air. Once I the shock is filled and free from bubbles I out the cap on and I am done. I hold the shaft to the bottom and I screw the cap on. I tried to push it up as I screw the cap, but I canít seem to get the right and consistent. People feel my car and tell me there is something wrong with my shocks.

Can some one please go over how to properly build shocks?

Thanks
Profoxcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 10:54 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Default Building shocks - advise me please

Profoxcg;

Everyone has their "Trick" method for building a specific brand/type of of shock, but there are only 2 things that will dramaticly effect the performance when building.

1) Each shock MUST have the EXACT same and correct amount of oil. This is very important to having a matched pair of shocks.
If the shocks have bladders, overfill the shock, then install the bladder(s) to force out the excess.

2) NO air bubbles. Stroke SLOWLY a few times after filling, then let them stand upright for 5-10 minutes before screwing the caps/ends on. Once they are assembled, you can stroke each one next to your ear. If they have any air in them, you'll be able to hear it.

Other than that, it really isn't that hard if you know what to look and listen for.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 11:43 AM   #3
Tech Master

does it matter where the piston is while I screw? should hold it down? or push it up slowly?

I guess, what I have not been doing it letting it sit for anytime. I usually have filled them, and stoked the air out and caped them. No wait time. and yes my shock do have tiny bubbles when i cap them. maybe that is the problem.

what do you think?

thanks,
Old 02-28-2004, 01:22 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Those tiny bubbles are why you should wait 5-10 minutes before screwing on the cap.

Give them time to clear out and you should be fine.
The Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 02:00 AM   #5
Tech Master

The piston should be all the way down when you cap them. What type of shocks are you building? There are different tricks for different types.
Old 02-28-2004, 02:50 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Default Re: Building shocks - advise me please

[QUOTE]Originally posted by popsracer
[B]Profoxcg;

2) NO air bubbles. Stroke SLOWLY a few times after filling, then let them stand upright for 5-10 minutes before screwing the caps/ends on. Once they are assembled, you can stroke each one next to your ear. If they have any air in them, you'll be able to hear it.

Yeah, couldn't agree anymore to pops....that's why i normally do and my shocks are OK. Why not you try this, if you are doing major overhaul, always settle your shocks and then continue with the overhaul, my settle would mean replace the oil and leave them a corner to let them have the '5-10' minutes as mention.
just my 2 cents. [QUOTE]Originally posted by popsracer
Old 02-28-2004, 08:47 AM   #7
Tech Master

I am building serpent shocks
thank you for your responses, i am going to try again.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:05 AM   #8
Tech Addict

Default You gotta have one of these

http://www.rc-ride.co.jp/eng/docs/rp600.html

The best way to remove entrained vaper quickly from ANY liquid is to lower the external pressure......causing the trapped vapors to boil out of the liquid....

Lowering the pressure inside the pressure-vessel will cause trapped air bubbles to expand and rise VERY quickly to the surface....A few pumps on the contraption and the air bubbles come up IMMEDIATELY......no more SLOW shock building.

THIS IS THE BEST WAY TO DE-AIR SHOCK OIL.......

(this works just like a Diver returning to the surface quickly and getting the bends when the nitrogen in the blood bubbles up....... )

Horizon is the USA distributer....my LHS just ordered some of these and is selling them for $33.00 each......Time is money and this tool is well worth the money.

(You still gotta follow all of the other rules about having the correct volume of shock oil so as to avoid hydraulic lock and tighten all seals properly. Most importantly...the shocks all need to achieve a similar re-bound feel and be the same length from right-to-left on the car. If they all take different amounts of time to rebound fully...(or if they don't fully rebound on their own)...the car may handle inconsistently.)

The bottom line is to be patient when building shocks and do NOT settle for results less than you desire. Sometimes I build one shock in 3-4 minutes and get it right but then spend 30-40 minutes trying to replicate that result on the other side.....Patience pays off, and the Vacuum pump helps things happen MUCH faster than waiting for the bubbles to rise.
Bivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 09:17 AM   #9
KMW
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by Profoxcg
I am building serpent shocks
thank you for your responses, i am going to try again.
This may help:

http://www.ashfordhobby.com/tech02.h...ock%20building
KMW is offline   Reply With Quote