Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paint removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2002, 04:01 PM
Tech Adept

Default Paint removal

What can be use to remove paint from a body safely???
Old 03-04-2002, 10:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: Paint removal

Originally posted by VinDollar
What can be use to remove paint from a body safely???
Try Paint thinner! it should come right off.

Also after painting my bodies I put high heat paint over it, Works well to clean after that hot exhaust hits it.
Old 03-05-2002, 09:08 AM
Tech Adept

I would think that standard paint thinner would harm the lexan surface. I guess right now i will try anything. Thanks Mr. MTX
Old 03-06-2002, 07:35 AM
Tech Addict

Smile

Standard paint thinner will melt the body. If you are just looking to clean up over spray on the outside of the body than you can use lighter fluid. Other wise you might as well just by a new body and paint it the way you want it because your are going to have one hell of a time getting all the paint out of the inside of the body.<p>If you use an airbrush to paint your bodies try FastColor. There paint is water based and is also fuel proof. They also make a solution that you can use to clean the paint off of the body. My friend messed up big time on his body and use the paint remover for fastcolor and removed all the paint from the inside of the body and repainted it.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:52 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks i was leaning towards buying a new body because nothing seems to work to take this pactra paint out. I might just make that my all around crashing up body.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:54 AM
Tech Addict

Sounds like a good plan. I have about 5 or 6 bodies for my bettin up.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Lightbulb

A tip for *almost* infinitely reusable bodies.

1. Paint with water-based paints like Faskolor©. These colors EVEN WHEN CURED can be removed using the following procedure...

Supplies Needed:
1. A large spray of Simple Green available from auto supply stores and Wal-Mart.
2. A set of dishwashing gloves, the yellow ones your mom used to use are perfect.
3. Your fingers, a soft sponge (no bristles or Scotch pads), and Q Tips.

Procedure:
A. Heat the body up by passing it under HOT water (I highly suggest wearing the dishwashing gloves for this part). You want the water just a little hotter than you can stand with your bear hands.

B. Spray the painted surface with a liberal amount of Simple Green and let it sit for 5 minutes.

C. Rub the paint off with your fingers, the soft sponge, and use Q Tips for those hard to reach areas.

D. Repeat these steps until all of the paint has been removed. A typical buggy body takes 15 minutes. A sedan body should take less time because of its less angular surfaces.

****IMPORTANT****
When you repaint the body do NOT use an exacto knife anywhere on the inside of the body. The channels created when the blade etches the body will gather paint that is almost impossible to remove. Use pre-printed body masks or tape masks that you have cut before application to the body.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally posted by mushu
A tip for *almost* infinitely reusable bodies.

1. Paint with water-based paints like Faskolor©. These colors EVEN WHEN CURED can be removed using the following procedure...

Supplies Needed:
1. A large spray of Simple Green available from auto supply stores and Wal-Mart.
2. A set of dishwashing gloves, the yellow ones your mom used to use are perfect.
3. Your fingers, a soft sponge (no bristles or Scotch pads), and Q Tips.

Procedure:
A. Heat the body up by passing it under HOT water (I highly suggest wearing the dishwashing gloves for this part). You want the water just a little hotter than you can stand with your bear hands.

B. Spray the painted surface with a liberal amount of Simple Green and let it sit for 5 minutes.

C. Rub the paint off with your fingers, the soft sponge, and use Q Tips for those hard to reach areas.

D. Repeat these steps until all of the paint has been removed. A typical buggy body takes 15 minutes. A sedan body should take less time because of its less angular surfaces.

****IMPORTANT****
When you repaint the body do NOT use an exacto knife anywhere on the inside of the body. The channels created when the blade etches the body will gather paint that is almost impossible to remove. Use pre-printed body masks or tape masks that you have cut before application to the body.
Do you need an airbrush to use faskolor paints?? or are they in a spray can?
Old 03-07-2002, 10:40 AM
Tech Addict

Yes you have to use an airbrush. Unfortunatly I dont believe that they produce it in a can.