R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-27-2004, 06:01 PM   #31
Tech Master

Default Re: Should they make 30mm slicks for the touring cars?

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

HPI used to make a 30mm rubber tire in a med/hard compound (NOT race worthy), but it has since been discontinued.

As for rubber tires wearing out faster.

If you are using a too soft compound/insert to make up for set-up inadequacies, you will indeed wear them out in a few runs.
With the proper tire/insert and compound for the surface you should be able to get plenty of races/heats out of them.

From past experience, if the surface is even slightly dusty, the right rubber tire will work better than foams.
I agree with what your saying. But the same can be said with foams. If you use the correct shore foam and set the car up properly they will last for long enough. I was able to get 2 full days racing out of a set of Yokomo kit tyres plus several test days. At the price of Yokomo tires I wouldnt expect anything else though.

But your point about dusty tracks brings us back to the other problem. Too many people are only interested in running their cars and dont care about the club. If more people put a little effort into the track before races things would be a whole lot better. Prime example of just how far some of us will go to prep a track. We have a 3 day event coming up soon at a large indoor hall (Titanic Hall - home of the Titanic) Surface is concrete and foams are working. Check how the surface was prepped.

www.titanic-cup.co.uk

Entries welcome from anywhere in the world.
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 06:18 PM   #32
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Here in southamerica we run mostly rubbers axcepts on national level events ...

definetly rubbers saves a lot of money ... at least on the tracks i know around southamerica the grip its high but the tire wear its VERY HIGH so you EAT a full set of foams "without truing" in about 80minutes max.

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 06:40 AM   #33
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Tabushi
Here in southamerica we run mostly rubbers........................
definetly rubbers saves a lot of money........ at least on the tracks i know around southamerica..............
Yes, and in our case (Peru) we run "only" rubber by rules.
We have great success with PMT tires from Italy
(www.pmt-tyres.it ) and a complete premounted set of 4 tires cost us only $27.00 and they are made in 4 different shore ratings, so you have most options to suit changing conditions. They last a full day of racing.

About the issue of 30mm rubber, yes we used to race with BSR Racing precapped rubber tires, and they made them in 28mm and 30mm low profile, and performed better than any foam tire, but where to expensive. www.bsr-racing.com.

AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 07:11 AM   #34
afm
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
I personally think they should ban slick rubber tires from nitro racing. In general they are more expensive to use now that foams can be bought for between $8 - $15. And the foams are lasting longer now also with less fuss about getting the right tire/insert combo to suit the conditions.............................
Just my 2c.
Hopefully your proposition shouldn't be taken seriously.
There still a lot of places were rubber tire classes are run sucesfully as a cost effective no complication class, like UK for example. Also you must consider that, believe it or not, in some places rubber does perform and last better than foams, like in our case (PERU). We run "only" rubber class by rules. We have great success with PMT tires from Italy (www.pmt-tyres.it ) and a complete premounted set of 4 tires cost us only $27.00 and they are made in 4 different shore ratings, so you have most options to suit changing conditions. They last a full day of racing.
And this is a fact, not only an opinion. To sum it up let people run what ever suits them right for their conditions, do not promote banning rubber tires.
AFM
afm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 07:43 AM   #35
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)
Default rubber tires

Quote:
About the issue of 30mm rubber, yes we used to race with BSR Racing precapped rubber tires, and they made them in 28mm and 30mm low profile, and performed better than any foam tire, but where to expensive. www.bsr-racing.com.
I find that hard to believe that they perform better than foams!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 08:44 AM   #36
Tech Master

Default Re: rubber tires

Quote:
Originally posted by Marcos.S710
I find that hard to believe that they perform better than foams!
I am anti-rubber but I will grant that these tires definately are on par with foams. They have a special honeycomb inner instead of foam insert and a lot more rubber. Grip is brilliant and they do last a long time.

But unfortunately they are just far too expensive. A couple years back we had guys running these for months let alone a day (hardest compounds available though). But they still had awesome grip in comparison to some of the other manufacturers softest compounds.
Old 02-28-2004, 10:16 AM   #37
Super Moderator

Default Re: Re: rubber tires

Quote:
Originally posted by modellor
I am anti-rubber but I will grant that these tires definately are on par with foams. They have a special honeycomb inner instead of foam insert and a lot more rubber. Grip is brilliant and they do last a long time.

But unfortunately they are just far too expensive. A couple years back we had guys running these for months let alone a day (hardest compounds available though). But they still had awesome grip in comparison to some of the other manufacturers softest compounds.
I know i ran these tires about 2 years ago gut o still went faster with foams , just my preference
Old 02-28-2004, 05:58 PM   #38
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

rubber vs foam- here in oz we have prepped tracks and carpark tracks, as for foam not gripping on unprepped tracks thats a load of bull try dropping in shore rating for an unprepped track
dangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 06:48 PM   #39
Tech Adept

why does having a "high end" car make it any different. is a serpent high end enough, mugen mtx-3, yok gt-4rw. they will not work with foam tires on our track, been there done that, rubber works, and works well, and it last more then a couple of heats. however you can go 30 minutes north and theres a track were you gotta have foams or your car just doesn't work. but this is off the subject, i guess were just all trying to out smart each other here. baller asked a simple question. my anwser, there available if you know where to look, try em, if you like em, let us know.

btw, at the other track, you will go thru a set of foams in one day. local shops get about 20 dollars a pair for them thats 40 bucks for tires and 20 bucks to race, for one day, no thanks
vanguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 08:38 PM   #40
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by dangles

rubber vs foam- here in oz we have prepped tracks and carpark tracks, as for foam not gripping on unprepped tracks thats a load of bull try dropping in shore rating for an unprepped track
I have yet to find that using a lower SH rated foam tire will give me grip where there was none. Changing SH compound is more a tuning aid than traction cure all (IMHO).

I was actually talked into trying some 32 Shore Foams by someone. The Car drove like it had 4 flat tires in the corners. If I twitched the wheel on the straight, I could crab the Car sideways under power for about 20 feet.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 10:01 PM   #41
Tech Addict

If someone doesnt come up with a tire that last longer then one weekend we could see nitro sedans get to the point of 1/8scale. It cost so much to run a 1/8on road its stupid.
CraigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 06:27 AM   #42
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigH
If someone doesnt come up with a tire that last longer then one weekend we could see nitro sedans get to the point of 1/8scale. It cost so much to run a 1/8on road its stupid.
1:8th is going to a lot cheaper in the next 12 months . Thats all I'm saying
Old 02-29-2004, 08:54 AM   #43
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by afm
Hopefully your proposition shouldn't be taken seriously.
There still a lot of places were rubber tire classes are run sucesfully as a cost effective no complication class, like UK for example. Also you must consider that, believe it or not, in some places rubber does perform and last better than foams, like in our case (PERU). We run "only" rubber class by rules. We have great success with PMT tires from Italy (www.pmt-tyres.it ) and a complete premounted set of 4 tires cost us only $27.00 and they are made in 4 different shore ratings, so you have most options to suit changing conditions. They last a full day of racing.
And this is a fact, not only an opinion. To sum it up let people run what ever suits them right for their conditions, do not promote banning rubber tires.
AFM
here are the price of foam tires online:
Fast Tires 30mm Rear w/Mugen MTX-3 Rims
[FT-FVJ6x] $8.30USD
that makes it $16.60 for four . i figure that i can get 2 full sets of foams for that price of on set of rubber tires and the best thing is that i could get faster lap times and spent less money!
Old 02-29-2004, 08:57 AM   #44
Super Moderator

Default foam

And these are even cheaper!!Fast Tires 26mm Rear
[FT-FVW5x] $7.00USD

Fast Tires 26mm Rear
Old 02-29-2004, 10:14 AM   #45
Tech Elite

Location: Mahwah, NJ.. USA!! ..... Home of http://www.fastharry.com
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to fastharry™

here ya go..

31 mm treaded tires(all you goty to do is use 'em for a awhile..instant slicks..)

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXM981&P=7

Right off HPI's website..

Super Compound Tires (soft)
For parking lot bashers or occasional racers, the Super Compound tires are great. Long tire life and good traction characteristics make this the tire of choice for club racers and folks who don't get out to the race track very often. These are also among the only tires available in our 31mm width!

The Super Compound tires also work great on very high-grip race tracks, preventing traction rolls (or grip rolls, depending on what you call them!).
fastharry™ is offline   Reply With Quote