R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-25-2004, 10:15 PM   #16
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally posted by CraigH
Foam is very expensive if you look at the cost. 200mm will go thru a set of foams each race day thats 22 bucks if you order from overseas. Its 44 dollars if you buy them from a LHS.
How much is a set of rubber tires, with inserts and rims? Do rubber tires give you constant amount of traction throughout your race day when coupled with high powered nitro engines?
InitialD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:57 PM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The companies wont make anything for which there isnt a market. They can provably be made, but its not cost effective to make all the tooling to make tires and wheels if they will only sell a few sets and they're not going to get a return on investment.

Also, if you're wearing a set of foams in one raceday, you must be doing something wrong. I can get at least 2 racedays, if not 3. I think a lot of people use a softer tire instead of using the suspension of the car to gain traction, thus the higher wear rates. If you tune the suspension the right way, you should get the traction you need out of most shore rates.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 05:51 AM   #18
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 182 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by InitialD
How much is a set of rubber tires, with inserts and rims? Do rubber tires give you constant amount of traction throughout your race day when coupled with high powered nitro engines?
rubber tires ,you are looking at around $50 after you buy rims ,inserts, and tires .Versus foams for about $30 a pair and you will get more traction than the rubber!
Marcos.J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 07:11 AM   #19
Tech Regular

As far as geting 2 race days. You must a have a good sealed track. I know CraigH, and we get one race day out of a set of tires. that is 3 quals. and a 20 min. main. I true my tires down to 62-61 mm right off the bat. If I left the tires Huge then Ya, I could get two days maybe. But its slower that way. And the car is set up for 61 mm tires. Camber and droop and ride height. Less work. And our track is not sealed. Makes big difference. I raced on a freshly sealed track one time. Ran 4 quals. prob 20 min of practice and 30 min. main and only lost like 1-1.5 mil of tire. It was awesome. So the surface has more to do with it then set up.

Back to the subject at hand.
HPI Super Nitro Tires are huge. Not sure the width but they are at least 30 mm. Not sure if they would fit, clearance problems.
2Fast4U2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:23 AM   #20

here in washington state you can buy a complete set of take off brand rubber tires. premounted, thats tire, insert, and rim for 35.00 bucks. as far as the wider tire goes, isn't a hpi super nitro rubber tire about as wide as baller360 is taking about, i have no problem with traction using them, and they last many weeks of racing not a couple of races. the problem with tires that wide is the off set needed to keep the tires under the body. many chassis won't take a off set that deep. btw, here in the states we call it asphalt not tarmac and theres a very big difference in the surfaces. heck, theres a big difference in surfaces from parking lot to parking lot. foams work on some and on others they don't.
ritchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 09:42 AM   #21
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by ritchie
here in washington state you can buy a complete set of take off brand rubber tires. premounted, thats tire, insert, and rim for 35.00 bucks. as far as the wider tire goes, isn't a hpi super nitro rubber tire about as wide as baller360 is taking about, i have no problem with traction using them, and they last many weeks of racing not a couple of races. the problem with tires that wide is the off set needed to keep the tires under the body. many chassis won't take a off set that deep. btw, here in the states we call it asphalt not tarmac and theres a very big difference in the surfaces. heck, theres a big difference in surfaces from parking lot to parking lot. foams work on some and on others they don't.
I know there is a big difference in surfaces. We dont have 2 tracks the same here. We run on all surface types (different forms off ashphalt, prepped/unprepped, concrete, you name it) but we still only run foam. No problems with wear and a lot cheaper than rubber tires.

You got to remember that with foams you have 4 or 5 different shore rates and thats it. With rubber tires we were spending the guts of $500 just to match up enough sets to get us through a couple days with changing weather. With the number of different compounds and then the several densities of inserts it just is not cost effective if you want to race competitively in an environment that constantly changes (even through the course of a day).

Again, this comes back to a thread here last summer. If you guys spent less money putting all the latest parts on your cars and contributed towards getting the club a decent track like we do in Europe you wouldnt have this problem . Our tracks just dont pop up. The members build them with their own hard earned cash and a lot of sweat and blood.

As for take off tires at $35. Yes, we can get cheap rubber tires here pre-mounted (about $25) but when you stick them on a top end race car they are not worth the cost of the box they came in and in most cases dont last more than a day (between buckling rims after 5mins running and tearing up).
modellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:14 AM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

When the RS4 came out , HPI had wide tires and rims for touring cars. Forgot how wide and they were threaded, don't recall if they were available in slicks.
If its still available and if you could find them, for playing around they're not bad

Last edited by RoyU; 02-26-2004 at 10:20 AM.
RoyU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:51 AM   #23
Tech Elite

Default Should they make 30mm slicks for the touring cars?

Guys;

HPI used to make a 30mm rubber tire in a med/hard compound (NOT race worthy), but it has since been discontinued.

As for rubber tires wearing out faster.

If you are using a too soft compound/insert to make up for set-up inadequacies, you will indeed wear them out in a few runs.
With the proper tire/insert and compound for the surface you should be able to get plenty of races/heats out of them.

From past experience, if the surface is even slightly dusty, the right rubber tire will work better than foams.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 01:47 PM   #24
Tech Adept

I have used the 31mm treaded tires that HPI put out years ago for the rs4. The only problem with the tires that wide is that the center of the tire easily balloons and you lose traction during hard acceleration out of corner. They looked good on the car, but did not handle as well as you may think.
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 02:04 PM   #25
Super Moderator

Default Tires

Its my opinion that if you want to be competative and make it the A-main trying to cut the fastest laps ,you must run foams. my $.02's
Old 02-26-2004, 02:06 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Marcos,
What if the track is a dusty concrete and not asphalt?
sook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 02:17 PM   #27
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by sook
Marcos,
What if the track is a dusty concrete and not asphalt?
Elligi makes a excellent rubber tire the impulse kit tire i think they are the EVX33B they are not slicks but i have used them in the past and they work pretty good they actually work better in the rain or wet conditions.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:20 PM   #28
Super Moderator

Default Re: Should they make 30mm slicks for the touring cars?

Quote:
Originally posted by popsracer
Guys;

HPI used to make a 30mm rubber tire in a med/hard compound (NOT race worthy), but it has since been discontinued.

As for rubber tires wearing out faster.

If you are using a too soft compound/insert to make up for set-up inadequacies, you will indeed wear them out in a few runs.
With the proper tire/insert and compound for the surface you should be able to get plenty of races/heats out of them.

From past experience, if the surface is even slightly dusty, the right rubber tire will work better than foams.
this is what the hpi 30 mm tire looks like

(definetly not race worthy)
Old 02-26-2004, 03:53 PM   #29
Tech Adept

i think those are 26 mm. they should make a slick premounted 30mm and double belted so it won't balloon.
baller360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 03:57 PM   #30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by baller360
i think those are 26 mm. they should make a slick premounted 30mm and double belted so it won't balloon.
they come in both sizes the 30 mm came with the old rs4 ready to run kit.