Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
trouble selecting replacement engine >

trouble selecting replacement engine

trouble selecting replacement engine

Old 11-20-2009, 10:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Default trouble selecting replacement engine

so i got a hpi nitro rs4. i beleive its the 2 it has all original purple anodized parts on a 15fe.

so anyways i was having trouble getting it started so i took it to a hobby shop by my work and he said the compression was way down from what it should be.

so we were looking for a replacment and im a little confused, the one he ordered has the pull start coming out onthe electronics side and the original had the pull start on the exhaust side.

call me crazy but this leads me to beleive the engine rotates the opposite way and will have my car running backwards.

can anyone definitively confirm or deny this?

edit: upon further investigation i have not been able to find a picture of a .15fe with the pull start on the exhaust side like mine came with, is that because the guy i bought it from most likely put the wrong starter on?

and why it wouldnt start?

we ordered a nitro star t-15

will this work with my chassis and single speed drivetrain?
Old 11-21-2009, 05:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lksdG2
so i got a hpi nitro rs4. i beleive its the 2 it has all original purple anodized parts on a 15fe.

so anyways i was having trouble getting it started so i took it to a hobby shop by my work and he said the compression was way down from what it should be.

so we were looking for a replacment and im a little confused, the one he ordered has the pull start coming out onthe electronics side and the original had the pull start on the exhaust side.

call me crazy but this leads me to beleive the engine rotates the opposite way and will have my car running backwards.

can anyone definitively confirm or deny this?

edit: upon further investigation i have not been able to find a picture of a .15fe with the pull start on the exhaust side like mine came with, is that because the guy i bought it from most likely put the wrong starter on?

and why it wouldnt start?

we ordered a nitro star t-15

will this work with my chassis and single speed drivetrain?
go to www.hpiracing.com & your best bet if you don't locate what u are looking for give them a call
Old 11-21-2009, 10:41 PM
Tech Regular

Your car wont be running backwards. It will spin the correct way. I've had a couple of these. The FE engine was crap, always hard to start even when it was new. Never could get one to run more than a couple of days. As far as I know all engines turn the same direction. I quickly leaned to hate pull starts, too many blisters on fingers. There is a good reason why they invented bump boxes and roto starts. Ditch the pull start.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

As far as I know all r/c engine rotate counter clockwise if you view it from the clutch side. I tried to start it backward once (I connect the starter box backward by mistake). The engine start but it would die as soon as I touch the throttle. And I through there are some issue with the engine. It took me sometime to notice the engine was spinning backward. LOL