R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-02-2002, 09:02 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Chiller514
Angry Please Help me Serpet Shocks

I am assembling my Serpent shocks for the Impulse. And I am having a hell of a time with them. First of all I found that they didn't allow enough room on the shaft for the piston assembly, washer, and e-clips. We had to sand the piston assembly down to make it a little thinner so the e-clips could fit in properly. I didn't put any oil in the shock yet cause I just want to see if everything is going together right. My big problem is that the "adjustable" piston is not adjusting. It won't adjust, it is stuck on the setting of having 1 hole open. Any ideas how to fix that, could somthing be stripped? Even when you try to adjust the shock by fully extending the shock rod and pushing the nub on the piston in the barrely and rotating the rod it won't adjust, it just kind of spins with resistance. Please help.

PS. I read the assembly instructions on ashfordhobby.com and the article on mytsn.com not too helpful. Please advise.
Chiller514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2002, 09:27 PM   #2
Tech Adept

Default Serpent shocks can be a pain

Assembling them takes time. These shocks are an excellent tuning tool, so it is important that they work properly. First to fix your stripped shock piston, use some super glue on the UPPER piston threads only. Make sure to not get any glue between the two piston parts, they must be able to rotate freely. Also never adjust the pistons dry. Always have shock oil in there. It lubricates the assembly for easier operation. Now, on to your other shocks. After assembling each piston lightly unscrew the piston back up against the e-clip. This should help to keep the piston indexed to the shaft. This hopefully will fix your problem. Just take your time and always have oil in there when adjusting, very important. Good racing.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2002, 08:29 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

So the top of the piston needs to be stationary and the bottom needs to be able to rotate? God these things are insanely difficult. I think I totally distroyed the first piston. I'll try to assemble a different shock now. Anyone live in VA that could help me out??!!
Old 03-03-2002, 09:10 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Ok, I think this is my problem, but I don't know how to fix it. When the piston is dropped all the way down in the shock body (while mounted on the shaft) and I try to adjust it the entire piston rotates, not just the bottom as it is supposed to do. I tried the superglue thing on the top half of the piston but it still doesn't work. I am fed up with this. Can I mail the shock to someone so they can assemble it for me!?!
Old 03-03-2002, 09:38 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Default Help is on the way

I live in Va. I would be happy to meet with you and help. Are you familiar with Doug's hobby in Waldorf? They have a permanent track and I'm usually there. Let me know when you're free. We'll get your car setup. Good racing
Old 03-03-2002, 09:47 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

That it awesome!!!! I live in Vienna/Oakton in Northern VA. I work at Hobby Hangar in Chantilly. I would gladly come down to meet you. I need to buy some new stuff to replace the shock stuff that I screwed up. E-mail me: [email protected]

Thank you so much,
Jacob B.
Old 03-03-2002, 07:59 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Default Hey Chiller514

I e-mailed you about meeting up. Just let me know when you are working next. I need to come out to the Hangar to get V-One R parts. Good racing
Old 03-09-2002, 05:28 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

I'll be working monday, 3-9.

-jB