R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 12-23-2009, 07:37 PM   #46
Tech Initiate

Quote:
BTW, is that engine the same as this one here?
Yes. Orion .12 ABI Alpha Line, based on Sirio's XXX engines like the Capricorn Q12.
Try to get the Combo or the Capricorn 2648 pipe. They are quite close to each other and work with the engines.

MERRY CHRISTMAS...

--- MARTIN ---
Maddin21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 08:36 PM   #47
Tech Initiate

Thumbs up

Today we had our first rollout with one of our drivers and the Capricorn LAB-C01 using our high traction indoor track.

Just two older bad quality vids (with RRR) to show you the track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=il-jgqw60dg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl9jkOhbPdc

We used a touring body for that first 3 tanks of rollout (normally we're driving LOLA bodies during winter).

Standard 120000/70000 diffs were quite good from the start of...as we expected close to the Kyosho feeling we had with 100000/30000.
Brake works...did you expect anything else :-)
Using 15/20 stock gearing and 57.5 and 59 tires the car kicks out of corners very nice and this is not only a matter of the engine (Orion .12 ABI)...also the gearbox shifts with a nice gap between both gears. Sunday we'll go with 14/19 and see what happens then...
Dampers seem to be to hard using the stock 60 oil with small tires, 5mm ride height and temperatures around 0C ...Sunday we'll change to 450 all around.
3 tanks is much too early to tell something about the cars behavior on track...but maybe due to its stiff construction setup changes are easy to see and feel. We just adjusted toe, front sway bar and tweak to allow a few constant first laps and that was very easy as the car even reacts to minor changes. I liked that... :-)
Please double check the adjustment of your servo saver as we had to stop the rollout due to a teethless servo arm (one that I'm using in 1/8 for two years now). Or maybe the driver just crashed as it was 10p.m.
No other parts broke...
Bearings free up fast...we did no clean or oil to them in advance.

So far everything is looking more than promising and I cannot wait for Sunday to test way more intense and bring the car up to the limit...

And by the way...if you have ever seen or touched a better looking car then this one...this for sure was a dream ;-)

For anybody coming from Germany and Poland etc. needing information, tips, parts ect. for the car and all other Capricorn products feel free to contact me here or at [email protected]

--- Martin ---

Part of the German Capricorn Distibution Team...
Old 12-24-2009, 01:36 AM   #48
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Has anybody wondered about the price?

Almost 600 at ART! That's approx. $ 900!!!.

This car should be driving by itself.....
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 07:36 AM   #49
Tech Initiate

Having in mind that the kits contain a number of hopups you cannot find in any other competition car the price is still high...but it should be worth that price to have the clutch, the ultralight diffs and transmission, the brake, the pivots, the innovativ wheel hubs and the hand full of alloy bulkheads and parts.
Besides this car is a european product...

--- MARTIN ---
Old 12-24-2009, 10:09 AM   #50
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Smile

It sure seems spendy but I know if there was a nitro onroad track around where I live I do'nt think I could resist owning one.It is just too sweet looking. Almost worth it for a shelf queen.
olegeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 05:45 AM   #51
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddin21 View Post
Having in mind that the kits contain a number of hopups you cannot find in any other competition car the price is still high...but it should be worth that price to have the clutch, the ultralight diffs and transmission, the brake, the pivots, the innovativ wheel hubs and the hand full of alloy bulkheads and parts.
Besides this car is a european product...

--- MARTIN ---
Even Shepherd, who are usually expensive, have priced their sedan in a row with all the other well proven cars on the market AND they have a lot of bling bling in theirs as well.
Have you noticed that the real fast cars never have a lot of bling?

You know, FIAT is also made in Europe, specifically in Italy. Would you buy one though?
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 06:27 AM   #52
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Even Shepherd, who are usually expensive, have priced their sedan in a row with all the other well proven cars on the market AND they have a lot of bling bling in theirs as well.

You know, FIAT is also made in Europe, specifically in Italy. Would you buy one though?

I agree with Stefan on this one. BTW, what is the weight of the car with all the aluminum on it?
Old 12-25-2009, 12:13 PM   #53
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post

Fiat owns Ferrari!
Old 12-25-2009, 06:00 PM   #54
Tech Master

I think the price is quite right. You don't have to buy any options for this car because they all come with the kit.
I think my NT1, in its current, state would be even more expensive as the Capricorn car is right now. And then you don't even have the aluminum bulkheads. And I have real confidence in the quality of the car because the capricorn pieces I already have, are of a superb quality.

And yes I would buy a car of the Fiat group, an Alfa Romeo. The most beautiful affordable cars on sale to date. Offcourse they would be even better if they were build on a BMW 3 series platform, RWD, straight six.
Old 12-25-2009, 06:12 PM   #55
Tech Initiate

@stefan

Coming from a Capricorn tourer to FIAT...hmm...maybe we're leaving the right way.
Being sceptic about Capricorn products is what I know you for and you have your reasons and I can live with that. Also that you put your scepticism into serious thoughts about the car is O.K.
Also for us the car is more than new so we're experiencing new things every day we're handling it. First phase of running not even started completely...so let's see what future will bring.

Quote:
I'm an active racer too...walking around with open eyes and ears

--- MARTIN ---
Old 12-28-2009, 03:00 PM   #56
Tech Initiate

Hi all,

Here is a picture from Yome3000 with the weight of the car --> 1538g :

For sure, we can get some more lightness with low profile servos...

Season's greetings to everyone.

Cheers all.
Nico
nico75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:38 PM   #57
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Speedypeterb
Default weight

hey do you got a battery in that car 1538 grams car to be legal has to weigh 1725 grams seems a little light there
Old 12-28-2009, 05:11 PM   #58
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Default Compare results..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TM America View Post
I believe in 2010 you will find more about the Edam Race cars and their ability to be very competitive here in the States. I am happy to say that TMA Marketing is now the wholesaler/retailer for the 1/10th Spirit, 1/8th Razor and also the fun RTR. With the addition of Rene Cornella to the Edam team our future looks bright. As we look for team drivers here in the states I hope Edam Cars presence will become another option for racers to choose.

The pull start class that takes place in Australia and other countries is interesting. I thought it was for rtr's and intended for the beginners. It seems it has gone to other directions if the Spirit and the Capricorn chassis's are also being used. But it does get their names out if they do well in the classes. Are there set rules for this class to hold doen the cost in engines or the the class in general?

Sam
PRO 200mm - Edam - Jesse Davis

http://dnn.slyfoxrmt.com/EventResult...4/Default.aspx

P/S 200mm - Patane.

http://dnn.slyfoxrmt.com/EventResult...4/Default.aspx

They're fast.. specially in the right hands.
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:51 PM   #59
Tech Initiate

The LAB-C01 definitely is that light.

Our cars are 1660g RTR with low-profile on throttle/standard on steering, MRT-PT, completely full Capricorn tires (Hard-Light rim), Orion 1600 NiMhStraightpack and Blitz body. With small tires this means about approx. 100g of underweight...WOW.
Having a brass battery stay would make it mayby 30-40g heavier.

--- MARTIN ---
Old 12-28-2009, 08:46 PM   #60
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico75 View Post
Hi all,

Here is a picture from Yome3000 with the weight of the car --> 1538g :

For sure, we can get some more lightness with low profile servos...

Season's greetings to everyone.

Cheers all.
Nico

That's extremely light!!!
Chicky fan club member #9
One Eighth Racers of Toledo
lil-bump is offline   Reply With Quote