Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 5italkart
looking into maybe a nexus card like bill if i decide on next year.

NOT IF!!!!

(I hope to be well enough to at least bench race again.....)
Old 08-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Tech Regular

Default 2wd

So Mr. History and I had some very good talks about what to do to grow the 2wd class. We didn't agree on everything, and he's still forming his plan (any input is welcome). Jason's thinking has gone much deeper then mine and I have to respect him (just a little) and his point of view. While he has put his money into the idea of helping our hobby, there is no get rich to be had. He has put another very good 2wd car within our reach, check it out! Then jump on board with us.

Two things he has talked about (that are well within reach) is having at least a "B" main in next years GLC and getting a 2wd challenge race in New York. He doesn't see things changing over night and that's a good thing, but he sees us having some real fun and I agree. If it weren't for all my under ware being dirty, I'd start packing for N.Y. now.

LETS RACE SOME MORE!!!
Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I hope you all will watch this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=V74AxCqOTvg
Old 08-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Tech Addict

Despite our philosophical difference and debates here in this forum, I realized this week at the GLC that we have a special thing going, and I am quite optimistic. In the end, each of us can share our enthusiasm about pan car racing outside of this forum, and that excitement will be contagious.

We should remember that most rc racers don't even know these cars exist. And that is a good thing in the sense that we have a massive amount of untapped potential. Even at this year's GLC, professional drivers were unaware of this class, and didn't even understand that there were RC cars without shocks. So, if pro drivers haven't heard of us, we can be sure that club racers around the country know little to nothing about pan car racing.

As Lon mentioned, I am confident that we will have 15+ entrants at the 2014 GLC, perhaps 20 in year 2015. But we need to work together to get there.

The most effective way of growing this class is to first have one club in each region of the country running the class at their local track. Toledo being our national anchor, we have just launched the class in New York this month. Next, I feel we need one track in the State of Florida, Texas, and California to join in.

If any of you know of potential clubs, track owners, or any sympathetic individuals in these states, please let me know. I will attend the FullThrottle Raceway 2013 U.S. World Nitro Cup Dec 4th-8th. This race is expected to draw a large national and international turnout, and I will have a booth at the race to promote the class and let racers drive the cars at the track. During that week I will visit the local hobby shops and promote the idea of starting the class at the Kissimmee club. I will be in Texas later this year too, and plan to do the same.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...c-4th-8th.html

Each of us can do our part to show off the cars in our regions, and talk to clubs about getting a class started. As I have mentioned before, I am happy to help any club interested.

Billy Bowerman and I spoke at the GLC about the class, and he showed interest in the cars and wants to explore running the class at SpeedWorld Raceway & Hobbies in California:
http://www.speedworldraceway.com
http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...y-hobbies.html

If you guys can suggest some potential tracks for the class, please post them here or send a pm. At this point we mostly need to know who to talk to in your region.

Even though we have lively debates here, it is our job to be upbeat about this great class and to tell others about its potential. Just as GT grew very fast these past four years, so can 1/8 pan car racing.

Last edited by MrHistory; 08-27-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MrHistory
Despite our philosophical difference and debates here in this forum, I realized this week at the GLC that we have a special thing going, and I am quite optimistic. In the end, each of us can share our enthusiasm about pan car racing outside of this forum, and that excitement will be contagious.

We should remember that most rc racers don't even know these cars exist. And that is a good thing in the sense that we have a massive amount of untapped potential. Even at this year's GLC, professional drivers were unaware of this class, and didn't even understand that there were RC cars without shocks. So, if pro drivers haven't heard of us, we can be sure that club racers around the country know little to nothing about pan car racing.

As Lon mentioned, I am confident that we will have 15+ entrants at the 2014 GLC, perhaps 20 in year 2015. But we need to work together to get there.

The most effective way of growing this class is to first have one club in each region of the country running the class at their local track. Toledo being our national anchor, we have just launched the class in New York this month. Next, I feel we need one track in the State of Florida, Texas, and California to join in.

If any of you know of potential clubs, track owners, or any sympathetic individuals in these states, please let me know. I will attend the FullThrottle Raceway 2013 U.S. World Nitro Cup Dec 4th-8th. This race is expected to draw a large national and international turnout, and I will have a booth at the race to promote the class and let racers drive the cars at the track. During that week I will visit the local hobby shops and promote the idea of starting the class at the Kissimmee club. I will be in Texas later this year too, and plan to do the same.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-ro...c-4th-8th.html

Each of us can do our part to show off the cars in our regions, and talk to clubs about getting a class started. As I have mentioned before, I am happy to help any club interested.

Billy Bowerman and I spoke at the GLC about the class, and he showed interest in the cars and wants to explore running the class at SpeedWorld Raceway & Hobbies in California:
http://www.speedworldraceway.com
http://www.rctech.net/forum/racing-f...y-hobbies.html

If you guys can suggest some potential tracks for the class, please post them here or send a pm. At this point we mostly need to know who to talk to in your region.

Even though we have lively debates here, it is our job to be upbeat about this great class and to tell others about its potential. Just as GT grew very fast these past four years, so can 1/8 pan car racing.
Jason...first of all good meeting you Sunday.....Just wondering how many kits you have sold to the locals near you in York?.....Its great to see other guys who are interested in pan class......but it's tough getting new guys interested in 4WD open when they hear the costs involved......pan could bridge the gap......just how in the heck do we attract new guys off the street?.....place ads on radio??....flyers in local hobby shops??...It's tough to find new guys......I've tried to talk a few of the local go fast electric guys to come out for summer fun...they just don't show......I think many electric guys have it stuck in their head that gas racing has to be WAY more expensive than electric.....it's just not the case with pans....MATT
Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 AM
Tech Regular

Default Progress

Think Jason has taken a huge positive step to growing the US pan car movement by stepping up and importing the WRC line and actively participating , if he can maintain a reliable parts supply it will prevent people from getting frustrated from lack of parts support. The next hurdle will be to get the product in the retail stream , the mail order biggies will be tough to crack but some of the smaller outlets might be interested , and for the Toledo market it would be great if Pat would have one on the shelf at Hobbystop along with parts, Lon can you put him in touch with Jason ??
Old 08-28-2013, 09:32 AM
Tech Master

Default Classic Pan Info

Here are a couple of things I thought might interest some of you. The WRC car assembly video is from a site in Europe but should be translated for you. These cars are available at http://brooklynhobbies.com/wrc-gt-duo-nitro-kit

Note: I have been informed by Jason that there is at least one thing in the Yome article that is not the best way to build the car: grinding off the diff outdrive set screw tab, which we have a better solution for now, and consensus is that its best to not alter the shaft.
I posted this for those unfamiliar with the car to get an idea of how it was made and how it went together. Sorry for any confusion. aslo sorry not to get this warning up sooner...

The other appears to be a draft of "Classic" Pan Car Rules, in the same format that ROAR uses. I believe I may have got this when I bought a used Motonica car a few years back...

More info on the rules page: In rereading many of the posts in this thread, I found the Don Jones was the source for this info.

http://www.yome3000.com/forums-lire.php?id=1889&f=19

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class-classic.jpg

Last edited by aarcobra; 08-29-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: add disclaimer
Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Tech Addict

Questions??

I'm a little lazy to go back through all the posts. What is the current Motor Rule / Limitation for the Pan Class in Toledo and the last GLC?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Tech Addict

We have not been strict about this in the Northeast, MWS guys can comment on their region. I ran the Nova Sport Competition 5 port motor which has plenty of power for the class. At $209 retail I personally feel its a good price/performance option. Joe ran a 3 port and TQ'd so motor rules may not be necessary from the way I see it now. There are different opinions on this issues so others can chime in. As I recall the MWS may have started with a general 3 port rule because of the number of cars using the 3 port kit motor.

My thought is that a 5 port would be good if we eventually make rules. But again, we are still trying to grow the class encourage people to use a motor laying around the shop rather than forcing them to buy new. If it becomes a motor war, we can set a rule.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Tech Addict

The Yome 3000 article is good, though it took some work to fully understand the French translation. I will be organizing a build article for the GT Due, but for those of you who just got the kit at the GLC, please contact me for build help until that article is online.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks for the ideas Rick. I really appreciate your show of support for the class and the work everyone is doing. And great seeing after a long time!

If anyone would like to introduce us, I can discuss the cars with Hobbystop, and help them get started with parts and/or a kit.

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
Think Jason has taken a huge positive step to growing the US pan car movement by stepping up and importing the WRC line and actively participating , if he can maintain a reliable parts supply it will prevent people from getting frustrated from lack of parts support. The next hurdle will be to get the product in the retail stream , the mail order biggies will be tough to crack but some of the smaller outlets might be interested , and for the Toledo market it would be great if Pat would have one on the shelf at Hobbystop along with parts, Lon can you put him in touch with Jason ??
Old 08-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MrHistory
My thought is that a 5 port would be good if we eventually make rules. But again, we are still trying to grow the class encourage people to use a motor laying around the shop rather than forcing them to buy new. If it becomes a motor war, we can set a rule.
Very encouraging to see these run effectively. My comment is that its best to "close the barn door, before the horse gets out". Let's establish a engine rule now. Not a lot of folks have an engine lying around, especially if they are new to the hobby or returning after a LONG absence (like me).
Old 08-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ScottE1776
Very encouraging to see these run effectively. My comment is that its best to "close the barn door, before the horse gets out". Let's establish a engine rule now. Not a lot of folks have an engine lying around, especially if they are new to the hobby or returning after a LONG absence (like me).
..BUT...there are many used (not used up)...4WD motors laying in the pit boxes of 4WD open guys...who might want to sell them cheap..Littlest Lon had what appeared to be a high timing motor in his WRC...(It lit the tires up every time it entered the back straight in the main...(ALex Frank and I were laughing every lap))...Im not so sure a 4WD motor is the way to go anyway....the smaller # port motors seem to have more torque off the bottom.....which is good since they don't hit as hard a 4WD motor.........
Old 08-28-2013, 12:54 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ElliotCanada
I'm a little lazy to go back through all the posts. What is the current Motor Rule / Limitation for the Pan Class in Toledo and the last GLC?
As far as I know there are no universally accepted written rules for this class in Toledo or the US. I only posted this to see if there was any interest in discussing rules before the class grows in a direction that was unintended.

ROAR updated the rules within the last week or so but I could find no rules for this class.

Toledo has been basically using a "gentlemen's agreement" system on motors. In the beginning Motonica supplied a 3port motor that was deemed to be perfect for the class. Rule were discussed, but never implemented, that limited the motors to 3 port, non-turbo, costing less than $250 US. I believe currently the majority of the engines used comply with the 3 port etc rules. There have been some attempts to use more powerful 5 and 7 port engines but it was thought they were too much (I have my own opinion that you can't have too much power, you just need to know how to use it, but that's a different story...)

I believe this is correct and I expect the leader of the Killer B's, Lon Sr. can confirm or correct. Also, I believe Lon III has been using a non 3 port motor (a Kangaroo?) with a restrictor of bring it into line with the other motors being used. Does the fact that he had the highest top speed at the GLC say anything about this? Perhaps the WRC car has less drag or did he had top speed gearing....Even this possibility might cause some to wonder if they need to upgrade to a more powerful motor, it is allowed. The reason for rules...

Ned
Old 08-28-2013, 12:56 PM
Tech Master

Default Rules

Originally Posted by ScottE1776
Scott,
I'm with you!!!!

Ned

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.