Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 08:01 AM
Tech Regular

Default The Mix?

We are racers and winning is sort of important. However, in the Pan class, we've enjoyed a group that is as focused on saving money, bull shitting, just hanging out, and mostly having fun! There has been no reason for rules as most everyone is in the same mind set. It's a simple car and runs just fine. Trying other stuff only adds to the fun and puts more cars on the track. I was sort of hoping to see a Thorp drive unit come out.
When you think about it, the 2013 pan car is offering the same stuff the 1978 pan car offered. It was just fine till someone thought shocks would make it better, the rest is history. It may cost more to get there now, but the trip is worth it. It's sort of sad how most RC racers are hooked on going fast at any cost. They need lots of rules. We should use the KISS rule, and enjoy each others commonalty. In the end, it's your fellow racers that are making this hobby to be so much fun! Unlike speed, you can't buy that, just enjoy it!
Old 02-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hmm

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Please show me the rules for 2WD Pan in ROAR. This all I can find, it is off the current website, so it "should" be up to date.

9.4.9 1/8 Scale On-Road Fuel (IFMAR Class):
4WD class 2525 g Minimum
Weight 2WD class 2400 g
Pan Class 2270g
9.4.9.2 Tire type: Foam only
9.4.9.3 Engine size: .21 ci only
9.4.9.4 Transmission: Single, two or three-speed.
9.4.9.5 Rear suspension and drive:
· Independent suspension allowed
· 2WD or 4WD
9.4.9.6 Body style: Can-Am, Sports/GT, or WSC.
9.4.9.7 Wheel arch cut-outs: Maximum 13 mm over tire diameter
9.4.9.8 Upper body widths will be checked by placing a caliper or similar tool, legs
down, across the top of the body at any point.

THIS IS FROM 9.4.5 1/10 Scale .15 Fuel On-Road 2WD:
9.4.5.5 Rear suspension and drive:
· Single, one-piece drive axle only in Pan class
· Independent suspension allowed in Suspension class
· Rear Wheel drive only

Unfortunately, "understanding" and not having written rules is the reason tor the discussion on clutches, "blocked suspensions", engine size, etc. Nobody will care about the vintage pan cars until someone wins with one, then the questions will come up.
I think the rules cover it pretty well, I don't see what more we need. On an issue like blocked suspension, the consensus on that was "no." (I was in favor of it myself, but most everyone else disagreed.) The engine size is in the rules...there's nothing about the clutch in there so unless our members decide otherwise (like with the blocked suspension) then it's all good. And I don't see why anyone would care about vintage pan and whether or not it wins (which it did, hi Lon!) because it'd seem silly someone objecting to 30+ year old technology getting the better of the new stuff. And that too still doesn't matter much considering our numbers. We need to be as inclusive as possible, keep the mickey mouse to a minimum, encourage people to experiment and build, and let the hobby take us where it leads. I can't see any issue arising that we can't talk out and satisfy the needs of the majority, mostly because we're not about WINNING, we're about RACING. What I think Lon has served up, and what I like most about pan, is that it's a chance to play and have a little fun...where maybe kids can get into it, people wanting to save a buck, and I honestly think we have that now, under the existing rules in the rule book, and with us talking out the rest.

Currently, the rule book doesn't say squat about centex in pan. One member on here has objected and said it's not legal. I'm of the opinion that it is legal, and I think that it should at least be given a try...if it proves to give an unfair advantage, we can handle that then, or if the majority of us prior to that make the call one way or the other, then that's the way it'll be. And at some point, if we feel the need, we can always make changes to the rules in the ROAR book...been done plenty of times before and can be done so again.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hmm

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
We are racers and winning is sort of important. However, in the Pan class, we've enjoyed a group that is as focused on saving money, bull shitting, just hanging out, and mostly having fun! There has been no reason for rules as most everyone is in the same mind set. It's a simple car and runs just fine. Trying other stuff only adds to the fun and puts more cars on the track. I was sort of hoping to see a Thorp drive unit come out.
When you think about it, the 2013 pan car is offering the same stuff the 1978 pan car offered. It was just fine till someone thought shocks would make it better, the rest is history. It may cost more to get there now, but the trip is worth it. It's sort of sad how most RC racers are hooked on going fast at any cost. They need lots of rules. We should use the KISS rule, and enjoy each others commonalty. In the end, it's your fellow racers that are making this hobby to be so much fun! Unlike speed, you can't buy that, just enjoy it!
Hear, hear. I contemplated reproducing the Thorp as well but decided to go a different route. If you'd like to go that route, you're welcome to borrow mine for a template.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Tech Master

9.1.1 Fuels may contain only methanol, nitro methane, coloring agent, and a
lubricant.
9.1.2 The following additives are specifically prohibited: hydrazine, hydrogen
peroxide, propylene oxide, and toluene..........we all know you won Phil by using Toluene...oh wait we know you drank it instead.....
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
you said it !!! i've been re inspired in the shop. now i just need a couple days where i don't have too clean the driveway.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
I think the rules cover it pretty well, I don't see what more we need. On an issue like blocked suspension, the consensus on that was "no." (I was in favor of it myself, but most everyone else disagreed.) The engine size is in the rules...there's nothing about the clutch in there so unless our members decide otherwise (like with the blocked suspension) then it's all good. And I don't see why anyone would care about vintage pan and whether or not it wins (which it did, hi Lon!) because it'd seem silly someone objecting to 30+ year old technology getting the better of the new stuff. And that too still doesn't matter much considering our numbers. We need to be as inclusive as possible, keep the mickey mouse to a minimum, encourage people to experiment and build, and let the hobby take us where it leads. I can't see any issue arising that we can't talk out and satisfy the needs of the majority, mostly because we're not about WINNING, we're about RACING. What I think Lon has served up, and what I like most about pan, is that it's a chance to play and have a little fun...where maybe kids can get into it, people wanting to save a buck, and I honestly think we have that now, under the existing rules in the rule book, and with us talking out the rest.

Currently, the rule book doesn't say squat about centex in pan. One member on here has objected and said it's not legal. I'm of the opinion that it is legal, and I think that it should at least be given a try...if it proves to give an unfair advantage, we can handle that then, or if the majority of us prior to that make the call one way or the other, then that's the way it'll be. And at some point, if we feel the need, we can always make changes to the rules in the ROAR book...been done plenty of times before and can be done so again.
Phil, the point is there are no rules to cover it. There are general nitro rules, but nothing on 1/8 Pan, except weight. I can see the point you guys make that they are "not needed". But if the class is ever going to grow it does require rules...

The bigger problem is the lack of available cars and parts. I complained when the P8C was the only readily available car, (NOTHING against the car, I just like to see various makes go at it!) and bought/made different ones. Now it appears that Motonica cars and parts are "difficult" to find, and with nothing else available, some guys are beginning to get concerned. It is still a couple of months before the stuff will be needed so hopefully things will work out.

(Sure wish I had a place to run the big cars down here...this week the temps were in the mid 50's to 65 on Wednesday. I'm starting to work on getting some local on-road (1/10th electric) going 'cause the cost and time required to get up North may become more that I can handle! ;-( )

Hope y'all get going on the schedule soon, so I can plan to make a few trips!)
Old 02-08-2013, 04:59 PM
Tech Master

Default 65 and sunny!

Originally Posted by 5italkart
you said it !!! i've been re inspired in the shop. now i just need a couple days where i don't have too clean the driveway.
Joe,
Pack up your stuff and come on down! We are having 50 to 65 deg. sunny days and no white stuff. Flowers are coming up and I saw a pair of Robins last week!!

(oh yeah, don't forget to bring the track!!!)

You guys make me want to work on a "Scratch Special" too. But I have too many things going and no place to see if it works...

Can't wait to see what you come up with!!!
Old 02-08-2013, 05:00 PM
Tech Master

Default Drank it?

Originally Posted by Taylorm
9.1.1 Fuels may contain only methanol, nitro methane, coloring agent, and a
lubricant.
9.1.2 The following additives are specifically prohibited: hydrazine, hydrogen
peroxide, propylene oxide, and toluene..........we all know you won Phil by using Toluene...oh wait we know you drank it instead.....
Or sniffed it?!?!!?
Old 02-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

Or sniffed it?!?!!?
First, with respect to Matt, me winning is more about the car than my crappy driving. Second, if Toulene would help the arthrits, I'd drink a battleship full right now. Third, I know cost and time are a pain for some like you. I try not to bitch about it as much 'cause I'm driving four hours one way to play in the sun and I know you're doubling that, so I have no room to complain, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, I will cheerfully donate to the "get Ned to the races" gas fund. In a heartbeat.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Tech Master

Default Fund

First, with respect to Matt, me winning is more about the car than my crappy driving. Second, if Toulene would help the arthrits, I'd drink a battleship full right now. Third, I know cost and time are a pain for some like you. I try not to bitch about it as much 'cause I'm driving four hours one way to play in the sun and I know you're doubling that, so I have no room to complain, but I've said it before and I'll say it again, I will cheerfully donate to the "get Ned to the races" gas fund. In a heartbeat.
Phil, Again I do appreciate the "Ned to the Race Fund". But I would not consider it! lol (Besides, I'm VERY fortunate to have a place to stay when I do come up, thanks to Lon Sr). so it's all good.

I think I have my head back on straight now so that should help a bunch! I discussed traveiling up with my wife tonight and we're hoping to come up and go camping then practice and race between visiting and sight-seeing. (sounds weird to go "sight-seeing" around your hometown, but nearly 25 years has changed alot!)

I really want to get in on the "Scratch car challenge"!!

Y'all better be glad I can't talk Connie into racing again, she was a pretty good driver!!
Old 02-08-2013, 08:53 PM
Tech Master

, I will cheerfully donate to the "get Ned to the races" gas fund. In a heartbeat.
.me toooooooooo......i want to see a full field of pans every race..with gas almost $4.00 /gallon......i wouldnt drive that far to race these either w/o win money being offered......If ned wont take the cash...i say we find a kid down there to fill his tank at night when he goes to bed..then he has no way out......Free gas and Free rent...all we need you to
do is put the hammer down..........
Old 02-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

I really want to get in on the "Scratch car challenge"!!
I like that.........Have all the deadbeats paid for their bodies yet???
I want my Porsches now.......
Old 02-08-2013, 09:25 PM
Tech Master

Default The check's in the mail!

I like that.........Have all the deadbeats paid for their bodies yet???
I want my Porsches now.......
I sent the money to where the order will be placed. (Had to send M.O. by snail mail) Gonna check to to see if bodies are in stock and if not we'll let everyone effected have a chance to change or cancel. They have answered over night in the past so I expect we'll know by the middle of next week that the order has been placed and hopefully when the bodies will get to the States. I'll email as soon as I hear anything!

(Got a lead on a vacuum former, but it's a bit small, could do the bodies in two pieces, maybe??? Also, remembered a friend in the business! Not sure of his capabilities but will check it out!!! Be looking for sheet lexan about .040" to .050" thick, 12" x 18" or even 4' x 8' we could cut to size)
Old 02-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Tech Master

(Got a lead on a vacuum former, but it's a bit small, could do the bodies in two pieces, maybe??? Also, remembered a friend in the business! Not sure of his capabilities but will check it out!!! Be looking for sheet lexan about .040" to .050" thick, 12" x 18" or even 4' x 8' we could cut to size)
........I would love to get my Porsche 917 and my Associated Donohue body repopped.....dont want to cut an original 30KL Associated body...(tooooooooo hard to find)...maybe we could get a mold made from one of Crings Elfins also....toooo many projects ....so little time...4' X 8'heets would be the most economical....
Old 02-09-2013, 12:22 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hey

........I would love to get my Porsche 917 and my Associated Donohue body repopped.....dont want to cut an original 30KL Associated body...(tooooooooo hard to find)...maybe we could get a mold made from one of Crings Elfins also....toooo many projects ....so little time...4' X 8'heets would be the most economical....
I have a bunch of old bodies, cars, crap in general. If anyone needs to borrow something in order to get templates made and such (well, anyone I'm familiar with at least) y'all are more than welcome to borrow....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.