Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default at last

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Great to hear about your tire solution! The glue you want is 3M Super Weather Strip Adhesive (3001??) We called it "Tiger Snot"! Any auto parts store should have it for $3-4.

The best way to mount tires is to rough up the outside surface with coarse sand paper or the like, brush on the glue with an acid brush used for applying flux for soldering. Also brush the glue on the ID of the donuts and sides if your are making the tires out of multiple rings.

Let everything dry for an hour or so (semi-optiional) then dip the wheel and donuts in lacquer thinner and slide together, positioning the donuts evenly on the wheel.

If you have rings it is best to apply load to the rubber to keep the rings glued together. Some like the rings unglued but it always glued them together, the glue didn't affect the wear and they looked better! If the rubber is a bit narrower than the wheel you can put a hole the size of the wheel in a piece of wood so the weight presses on the donut.

It's best to wait awhile before truing but in a pinch you can do it pretty soon.
Remember to use all necessary saftey measures etc.

Please let me know where you got the rubber and how you cut the donuts. or if you would sell some donuts. No luck finding any other hardnesses?

Thanks, Ned
count me in for some, what ever happend too our group body order?. new vice on the way so i can get going on our home made pan.
Old 03-21-2012, 05:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default Bodies!!!

Originally Posted by 5italkart
count me in for some, what ever happend too our group body order?. new vice on the way so i can get going on our home made pan.
My bad! I said I would get this going again and never did! ;-(
Here's the last list I have and I count up 15 units if everyone still wants what they said last fall. I'll e-mail those I have addy's for and see if we can get things confirmed. I'll let everyone know the next step asap! If you want to change or add more bodies, go ahead and we'll sort it out if there is a problem.

http://www.deltaplastik.it/index.php...at2=11&cat3=15

This will be the running list, when we get to 20 we'll figure out how to get the money and finalize everything.

Matt 2-Porsche 911 (1085)

Ned 1-Porsche (0084)
1-TOYOTA Celica (0093)
1- BUD (0090)
1-FORD Capri (s0709)

Lon 1-FORD Capri (s0709)
1-Lancia (s0623)
1-Ferrari 1/12 (0708) ???????

Joe P. 1-Kroll (0087)
1-Porsche 917 (

Jeff W. 2-Mercedes AMG (s0705)
2-Lola Ford T610 (s0708)
Old 03-21-2012, 07:27 PM
Tech Master

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...0399&ppt=C0171
this is what i used to mount the last 3 sets of donuts i had............you cant even peel the edge of the tire from the rim...........strong stuff......wear gloves...and dont mount them in the closet.....you may get STONED....
Old 03-22-2012, 06:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Hi

Great to hear about your tire solution! The glue you want is 3M Super Weather Strip Adhesive (3001??) We called it "Tiger Snot"! Any auto parts store should have it for $3-4.

The best way to mount tires is to rough up the outside surface with coarse sand paper or the like, brush on the glue with an acid brush used for applying flux for soldering. Also brush the glue on the ID of the donuts and sides if your are making the tires out of multiple rings.

Let everything dry for an hour or so (semi-optiional) then dip the wheel and donuts in lacquer thinner and slide together, positioning the donuts evenly on the wheel.

If you have rings it is best to apply load to the rubber to keep the rings glued together. Some like the rings unglued but it always glued them together, the glue didn't affect the wear and they looked better! If the rubber is a bit narrower than the wheel you can put a hole the size of the wheel in a piece of wood so the weight presses on the donut.

It's best to wait awhile before truing but in a pinch you can do it pretty soon.

Please let me know where you got the rubber and how you cut the donuts. or if you would sell some donuts. No luck finding any other hardnesses?

Thanks, Ned
Not Ned Schmaltz by chance? There is another company that I had on my list and like an idiot, I lost the list...and they supposedly had 50 shore, so I was contemplating 50/35 combos since I used something like that long ago and they had excellent grip as well as good wear. When I get a chance I'll post more info on it, cutting the donuts is a real pain but for what little I lose in punching, it gets trued up and there's enough rings in a sheet that it really doesn't affect my cost. Frankly, I'm leery of steering too many ppl this way until I get to the track (hopefully 1st week of April) and test them out to ensure they work well, otherwise I sell some stuff or someone buys from the company and then I've got someone unhappy with me. I made tire ring punchers out of various sizes of exhaust pipe that I cut down and sharpened (I have an automotive shop) and I made a tire horn out of the same stuff. Supposedly there is another company in Cincinnatti that is selling just the foam ready to mount (yes, lost that name too, got to contact Hammer to find out again) but I think he said that guy wants as much for rubber as what ppl are paying for tire + rubber and that's just too much. But I'm pretty sure this stuff will work well on a Super J...I won my share of races way back when and I'm getting anxious to see if I can do it again, sounds like there's going to be a few drivers with the pan stuff this year in the Midwest. Also, my two cents worth...the new pan SG doesn't look too bad, but I was outrunning them on the backstretch so I don't think much of the quasi belt drive action...g'day
Old 03-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Tech Addict

Default HI

Originally Posted by Taylorm
.i recently bought some Permatex weatherstrip adhesive..........coat tire and rim .......then dunk both in lacqer thinner........seems like they will hold great..ill post the item # later when im home......Do you have a link where you bought sheets of foam for donuts??........donuts are getting harder and harder to come by..........i need more for my 300BD car.....
Send me an email so I can add you to my list of ppl to notify when I have it all figured out, I'll help as many as I can....
Old 03-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Tech Addict

Default And...

Thanks, Ned
I will give that idea a shot. We used to use epoxy but that stuff is a tad expensive anymore, I've got a few other compounds I picked up cheap like epoxy that I'll be trying too but I'll try the weatherstrip as well...reckon it'll hold the rings but how well will it hold the rings to the rim?
Old 03-22-2012, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

Default And again...

I have a buddy with a 1/10 scale so I'm punching those out for him as well, even tho tires are a lot cheaper for that.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
Not Ned Schmaltz by chance?
...the 1 and only........
Old 03-23-2012, 04:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default the original

I have a buddy with a 1/10 scale so I'm punching those out for him as well, even tho tires are a lot cheaper for that.
yes neds the man, if you're unsure about the donuts don't worry this is a very experimental group of us racing pans. all about the fun and everyone participating.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:49 PM
Tech Rookie

I will give that idea a shot. We used to use epoxy but that stuff is a tad expensive anymore, I've got a few other compounds I picked up cheap like epoxy that I'll be trying too but I'll try the weatherstrip as well...reckon it'll hold the rings but how well will it hold the rings to the rim?
Take Ned's word for it, about using automotive Weatherstriping Glue
(preferably the 3M brand). If it's applied properly the tire WILL stay on the wheel. In fact when it comes time to put new rubber on the wheel, you'll have to soak the wheels and tires in lacquar thinner to get the old tires completely off the wheel. Ned and I, along with a whole bunch of the One -Eighth racers glued tires using this method for many years as there was no such thing as pre-glued and trued tire/wheel combinations on the market. The nice thing about doing your own is it's easy to experiment with different durometer ratings of the foam and combinations for running on the tracks you normally run on.
CHEERZZZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!! MADD FABRICATOR
Old 03-24-2012, 05:35 AM
Tech Addict

Default Well hot damn

Originally Posted by Taylorm
...the 1 and only........
Phil Cring Jr. on this end, used to run superstock then moved to open, ran from about 79 to 85!
Old 03-24-2012, 05:36 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hey

Originally Posted by 5italkart
yes neds the man, if you're unsure about the donuts don't worry this is a very experimental group of us racing pans. all about the fun and everyone participating.
I'm not too unsure about donuts, it's just glue has me paranoid, I had probs with the stuff 30 years ago and memories last.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

I'm not too unsure about donuts, it's just glue has me paranoid, I had probs with the stuff 30 years ago and memories last.
there will be no probs with the current adhesive........
Old 03-24-2012, 08:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Phil Cring Jr. on this end, used to run superstock then moved to open, ran from about 79 to 85!
Hey Phil! Some of us looked at Superstock as the ultimate class ;-)
Give the Tiger Snot a try, it will work fine> I think the commerciallly produced tires use CA, superglue, but it's hard to clean up and unforgiving. You could put a bead around the edge if there is any gap.

Ned
Old 03-25-2012, 12:37 AM
Tech Addict

Default Holy crappy memory batman!

Hey Phil! Some of us looked at Superstock as the ultimate class ;-)
Give the Tiger Snot a try, it will work fine> I think the commerciallly produced tires use CA, superglue, but it's hard to clean up and unforgiving. You could put a bead around the edge if there is any gap.

Ned
Maybe it's the passing of time..but I remember when I started in superstock I typically ran in the "G" or "H" main. I remember an equal amount of mains in open. Is it just me or did a lot more ppl used to be involved? Racing in superstock was pretty good, seemed like good competition and the cars would take a licking and keep on ticking. I moved to open and eventually got to the point where I managed to beat Jack Mueller and Bruce Oakley on a good day (and I won't swear to it but I think I edged Rick Davis one time) but the superstock races were fantastic, and the bodies! My fav was the Indy oval, just ridiculous lap times..also seemed like ppl were a tad more friendly back in the day too. Now they have overpriced crap which is fine if you're a team driver but a tad hard on entry level, especially with breakage. I'm running an Edam 4wd this year, which is as near as I can tell just like a Mugen/Serpent but a fraction of the cost...tho if there is a turnout in pan...frankly...I'd rather run pan. I think it hit the point where the money and time involved for a few extra seconds has gotten out of control and I don't know how new guys get into it with the initial layout required. What, 600 for a rolling pan, 300+ for novarossi, 200+ on radio, and we're not even talking spares, bump box, fuel, travel, etc? And in this economy? The economy sucked in the 70's but pan was strong I think because it was affordable and you didn't spend all your time wrenching in between heats (or some of these guys that have team mechanics.) Or maybe I'm just getting older...hmm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.