Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motojon
Im guessing though here in the US if i can just add a $50 part and run it on my original chassis great...... If the class doesnt take off then im out $50 with a small paper weight. If I spend $400+ and the class doesnt take off then i got a slightly bigger more expensive paper weight. Also simple goes only so far eventually we want more of this or more of that to get them to handle here in the US. Alot of our tracks arent smooth like oversees so a full suspension 2wd might be the only thing that will work here for example the old Vector....i believe $500 for 2wd $550 for 4wd if you got tired of one you could run the other and keep all the same stuff and use the left overs off of the 4wd people
I understand what you are saying but from my point of view, why would I run this class at all? The only advantage would be cheaper motors. Everything else is basically the same so I will run 4wd with cheap motors. Again, for me the appeal of this class is lower maintenance. If I am going to have to rebuild shocks, suspension, belts, clutches and what not every race anyway, I'll run the faster car.
Old 10-29-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Secondly getting any type of rear ball diff mass produced of retro fitted is going to be a ton of work.

No one really makes a 1/8 onroad ball/gear diff. You would have to retro fit one from a 200mm or offroad car...not fun unless you have a milling machine in your garage..and at that point you could build a simple complete 2wd conversion for say a mrx4x with fiberglass chassis.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by senna555
I think it would be mistake to run them without lola style bodies.

It is the same problem igt cars have..handle like box of rocks.

Why install bodies that will make the car hadle worse? Especially for a newbie and again they look like cars in open class. Same reason they never run gt bodies on 1/12...they dont work and 2wd pancar is just a giant nitro 1/12.
I am sorry, but I race the IGT car and I have to stand up for it a little. Those cars do not handle as bad as you guys are saying. If you don't believe me, ask T-Bodz about how mine looked when I ran it at the first SWCS race back in Feb/Mar 2009. Ask the guys in Memphis at MSRA and the guys that use to run in Mississippi at the Bass Pro Shop series about how my car handled their tracks. Those cars are like any other: you find a good setup for the situation/track and conditions at hand. Though a lot slower than my MTX4, my IGT-1 handles like my MTX4 on a bigger scale. And the same holds true as far as body choices. I found out what bodies work well with my setup. Unfortunately, one of the bodies has been discontinued so I am holding on to the two (one new and one beat up) for as long as I can.

Like I said, it is just an idea guys but first, you have to let go of "how it use to be". These newer cars are designed better and probably handle better that their predecessors. Also, lexan bodies are designed and molded better than they were "back in the day". It is like this: many of you drive Hondas and Toyotas now. Well, back in the late 60s and early 70s when they were introduced to the US markets, they were little tin pieces (if you remember back that far). Well, they are not that way now due to progress. Using your lines of thinking about 1/8th scale touring, then the Hondas and Toyotas of today are still the like the little tin pieces from the 60s/70s that aren't worth owning or driving right? At some point, they improved and were worthy of consideration for purchase/ownership right?
Old 10-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Elite

I dont think my point on the igt was clear.

I am sure with tinkering anything will work...the appeal of the class would be simplicity.

The pancars are pretty simple and not alot of adjustment. This would be a better start for a newbie or budget racers.

Same thing goes for the body....by running lola style body you already have max grip and steering. Much easier for a newbie/budget racer as you dont have to try to create grip thru other adjustments.

I ran gt car for a friend to break it in and attempt to improve handling...it ran the same with and without the body. I dont think the body has much of an effect on handling...that is not the case with a lola style body on a pancar electric or nitro...big difference in rear grip and balance.

On an unprep surface parking lot temp track I am sure they are a blast and great fun..however on a super clean,smooth,treated surface novelty tends to wear off quickly. I think this is why the class has not really caught on at the two permanent onroad tracks in northeast.
Old 10-29-2009, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

I think it would be mistake to run them without lola style bodies.

It is the same problem igt cars have..handle like box of rocks.

Why install bodies that will make the car hadle worse? Especially for a newbie and again they look like cars in open class. Same reason they never run gt bodies on 1/12...they dont work and 2wd pancar is just a giant nitro 1/12.
Don’t mean to hi-jack ya’ll tread, I do like the ideas of the 1/8 pan cars too, OK, but this needs to be said…………..!

senna dude, in the past I’ve read you bad talking GT cars, racers & racing in general on these threads.

Since you are someone that represents your track facility in Conn, maybe you should be more careful about your chosen words regarding GT class cars if you ever want to see your track enjoy on the growth of the class. You know that I sent you a “PM” on this before, remember………..

Here are a few reasons from racers from different countries that should help you should re-think how you talk about GT cars in the future:

Ipanema Sports 2010 GT World Championships at Homestead Miami Speedway Florida

It's almost a sold-out show, all GT2 Spec class pre-entry spots are filled and the race isn’t until next March!

GT1 Open Class

1. Juan Tejero GT1 Open Peru
2. Michael Haley GT1 Open USA
3. Deshun Dash GT1 Open USA
4. Todd Satkunas GT1 Open USA
5. Jose Baquero GT1 Open Venezuela
6. Salvatore Sortino GT1 Open Venezuela
7. Paul Roberts GT1 Open USA
8. Jeff Vargas GT1 Open USA
9. Partricio Concha GT1 Open Chile
10. Tim Phanidasak GT1 Open USA
11. Romulo Arcia GT1 Open Venezuela
12. Steve Miles GT1 Open USA
13. Jeff Green GT1 Open USA
14. Juan Luis Larrabure GT1 Open Peru
15. Miguel Daumont GT1 Open Puerto Rico
16. Eduardo Aparo Rizzi GT1 Open Venezuela
17. Tori Santiago GT1 Open Puerto Rico
18. Tommy Bond GT1 Open USA
19. Gus Wood GT1 Open USA
20. Luis Pineda GT1 Open Mexico
21. Ronnie Setser GT1 Open USA
22. Mark Borchert GT1 Open USA
23. Luis Ramos GT1 Open Puerto Rico
24. Andy Liu GT1 Open USA
25. Augusto Buchholtz GT1 Open Chile
26. Pablo Riveros GT1 Open Chile
27. Reinaldo Gil GT1 Open Chile
28. Rodrigo Cartergianni GT1 Open Chile
29. Jaime E. Negron GT1 Open Puerto Rico
30. Fernando Requejo GT1 Open Venezuela
31. Diron West GT1 Open USA
32. Eggie Betancourt GT1 Open Puerto Rico
33. Demonte Thornton GT1 Open USA
34. Joerg Schaedler GT1 Open Mexico
35. Todd Marshall GT1 Open USA
36. Edwin Ortiz GT1 Open Puerto Rico

Only 14 spots left in GT1 Open

GT2 Spec Class

1. Carl Edwards GT2 Spec USA
2. Juan Tejero GT2 Spec Peru
3. Juan Luis Larrabure GT2 Spec Peru
4. Todd Satkunas GT2 Spec USA
5. Marcus Vinicius da Silva GT2 Spec Brazil
6. Rich Esposito GT2 Spec USA
7. Juan Blaylock GT2 Spec USA
8. Fritz Adolph GT2 Spec USA
9. Mike Lyday GT2 Spec USA
10. Bernie Hoogstra GT2 Spec USA
11. David Mathews GT2 Spec USA
12. Juan Aramburo GT2 Spec Mexico
13. Juan Aramburo Jr. GT2 Spec Mexico
14. Josue Escamilla GT2 Spec Mexico
15. Erick Garcia GT2 Spec Mexico
16. David Ortiz GT2 Spec Mexico
17. Paul Roberts GT2 Spec USA
18. Tim Phanidasak GT2 Spec USA
19. Cuauhtemoc Medal Medellin GT2 Spec Mexico
20. Omar Horta GT2 Spec Mexico
21. Miguel Lopez Alcala GT2 Spec Mexico
22, Joerg Schaedler GT2 Spec Mexico
23. Kyle Green GT2 Spec USA
24. Eduardo Martinez GT2 Spec Mexico
25. Alferatt Vidal Repetto GT2 Spec Peru
26. Victor Babani GT2 Spec Mexico
27. Hector Suarez GT2 Spec Mexico
28. Charro Rivas GT2 Spec Mexico
29. Partricio Concha GT2 Spec Chile
30. Raul Rivera GT2 Spec Mexico
31. Rafael Chapa GT2 Spec Mexico
32. Antonio Lorca GT2 Spec Mexico
33. Gerardo Sanchez GT2 Spec Mexico
34. Luis Pineda GT2 Spec Mexico
35. Gus Wood GT2 Spec USA
36. Ronnie Setser GT2 Spec USA
37. Steve Nguyen GT2 Spec USA
38. Gary Strainer GT2 Spec USA
39. Abel Elizondo GT2 Spec Mexico
40. Guillermo Cadena GT2 Spec Mexico
41. Jeff Green GT2 Spec USA
42. Michael Frazier GT2 Spec USA
43. Diego Belmonte GT2 Spec Mexico
44. Juan Guillermo Garcia Pantoja GT2 Spec Mexico
45. Jose Luis Garcia Dominguez GT2 Spec Mexico
46. Sandro Diez GT2 Spec Peru
47. Todd Marshall GT2 Spec USA
48. Todd Forcione GT2 Spec USA
49. Steven Jackson GT2 Spec USA
50. Erick Nunez GT2 Spec Mexico

GT2 Spec is sold-out, all 50 pre-entry spots are filled!
We will be accepting GT2 waiting list entries for any openings or racer cancellations

A total of 86 GT race cars registered make a great group picture for R/C Car magazine!

.... is it March yet!!!

www.gtworldchampionships.com

I now return you to your great 1/8 pan car thread
Old 10-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I am sure with tinkering anything will work...the appeal of the class would be simplicity.

The pancars are pretty simple and not alot of adjustment. This would be a better start for a newbie or budget racers.

Same thing goes for the body....by running lola style body you already have max grip and steering. Much easier for a newbie/budget racer as you dont have to try to create grip thru other adjustments.

I ran gt car for a friend to break it in and attempt to improve handling...it ran the same with and without the body. I dont think the body has much of an effect on handling...that is not the case with a lola style body on a pancar electric or nitro...big difference in rear grip and balance.

On an unprep surface parking lot temp track I am sure they are a blast and great fun..however on a super clean,smooth,treated surface novelty tends to wear off quickly. I think this is why the class has not really caught on at the two permanent onroad tracks in northeast.
Sorry, I have to disagree with your last two paragraphs. The setup that I have with the tires I use (Ipanema), my car handles just the same whether it is an unprepped parking lot track or a smooth, prepped permanent track (RCRCNT). And, just like TC or 1/8th scale lolas, the bodies do affect the handling of the cars as well as the setup. The IGT cars aren't catching on because like any new class, without support from some of the established racers in an area, it never will catch on.

Now, back to the topic, why not think outside the box a little? Why not have a little variety instead of "being like the established class"? If you want to run a lola body, you already have 4wd. Like I said, it is just an idea for consideration, not something that "has to be done". Dude, I like the idea of having a 2wd class of 1/8th scales, I would just like it to be a bit different from the established class (4wd).
Old 10-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Tech Elite

No one really runs this class in the area.

Your opinion in noted but I dont agree...and honestly dont really care.

If you have a thousand people that show up at your race that is great. Very few people run this class in the area.

I am sure you have a thriving group of racers that really enjoy this class...that is great it. Enjoy it keep it going. It has not caught on in area and I have no interest in trying to help build this class as I dont think it is a good solution for getting new racers to the track. It needs to be something similar to a traxxas slash extremely simple..cheap...slow....but resembles other racing cars at an event.

My idea behind the thread is to get new people at the track...to buy a ready to run, modify the heck out of it, put a big horsepower engine and your back to cost of a 200mm or 1/8 and it becomes really complex and guess what...no new racers.

Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please with all due respect get over it and move on I am sure your time is better spent in other areas.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:06 PM
Tech Lord

I have never raced an IGT car but I did drive one and it drove very well. Not as responsive as I would like but very easy to drive for a noob and I'm sure a stiffer set-up would get the responsiveness I would want. I have also seen some that looked like a nightmare to drive. Just like anything else, it's all in the set-up.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Tech Elite

No one really runs this class in the area.

Your opinion in noted but I dont agree...and honestly dont really care.

If you have a thousand people that show up at your race that is great. Very few people run this class in the area.

I am sure you have a thriving group of racers that really enjoy this class...that is great it. Enjoy it keep it going. It has not caught on in area and I have no interest in trying to help build this class as I dont think it is a good solution for getting new racers to the track. It needs to be something similar to a traxxas slash extremely simple..cheap...slow.

My idea behind the thread is to get new people at the track...to buy a ready to run, modify the heck out of it, put a big horsepower engine and your back to cost of a 200mm or 1/8 and it becomes really complex and guess what...no new racers.

Please Please Please Please Please Please Please Please with all due respect get over it and move on I am sure your time is better spent in other areas.
I'm more than over you poor & non-supportive attitude towards GT class cars and racers.

But know this.....
You have just told all GT racers from around the world that your track doesn't care about them and our class.

Thanks for your wishes of good luck, but luck doesn'e have anything to do with the growth your track will not experence until you learn to keep you negative thoughts to yourself.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Elite

Yawn.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Another thing to note on the keeping it simple angle is that the 2wd pan cars, to the best of my knowledge, all use a single speed tranny, and off road type clutch systems, which are much easier to adjust and maintain.

As far as the GT discussion goes, the cars can work quite well or quite poorly, depending on tires, setup, and quality of assembly. I have seen both ends of the spectrum. I think this thread is on the right track with the 2wd pan car discussion, perhaps the GT discussion should relocate to a GT thread.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Lord

I will say this much. I do think GT is ultimately doomed. Not right now. Right now it seems like a great class. It will be doomed the day someone like Serpent or Mugen decides to build a full blown race car just for the class instead of a revamped buggy. Then it will be just as expensive, demanding and difficult as 1/8th so why bother.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by garen
As far as the GT discussion goes, the cars can work quite well or quite poorly, depending on tires, setup, and quality of assembly. I have seen both ends of the spectrum. I think this thread is on the right track with the 2wd pan car discussion, perhaps the GT discussion should relocate to a GT thread.
No problem Garren

Just so we all understand that whenever senna or anyone tries to bad talk GT they understand I will be there to set them straight on any thread.

yo senna, yawn all you want, when the GT race is 100+ strong, remember what your track's turn-outs have been all year long.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Personally im SOOOOOOOOO down for a 2wd class, but i do like the adjustability of 4wd, for me its fun to try set-ups and expirement, agrevating at times yes but still fun, cheap or inexpesive will only last as long as you stop wanting to go faster
Old 10-29-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I have been reading these threads for about a year or so and really never say anything but seems that it’s time to speak up. By you being a so called tech master it sure seems you are a VERY LARGE hater of the GT class why is this? If you don’t like a class why not keep your trap shut there are many that enjoy this class and it is growing more and more every season & if you still feel this class is not growing why did the Ipanema GT World Championship race in Miami almost completely sell out in 3 weeks? (100 racers). If your so called chassis tuning skills can’t see the difference in driving with a body and without one I would say your deaf dumb and blind so put the crack pipe down and get some help because that has to be one of the dumbest things you have written yet. We race weekly on a clean smooth treated surface and love it more and more every week. As to not catching on at these so called permanent tracks in the northeast would one of them be yours and if so how can you blame it for not catching on if all you do is give your biased opinion. Tech Master my azz more like Tech Idiot

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.