Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Hey Rick,
That sure was a fun way to pass time during the rain delay! I'm torn between trying to learn cad (of some sort) or just dusting off the old drawing tools and layiing out my pan car project!!! I want to stay close to the old style with single gear direct drive and a fiberglass chassis instead of the new type with the 4wd type pod layout. I think the extra weight over the rear tires will help and an aluminum pan brings back old memories-mostly bad. ; )

Hope to be back up north again to try to beat Lon with the "modern" car, I know i would win if we were racing the old pan stuff!

It was great to see you and I enjoyed our talk! Later,
Ned
...Ned, it was great to see you at the track again....Joe and I were commenting to each other how neat it is to listen to you "old timers" talk about how things were back in the day.......don't really know why i gravitate to the old stuff..all the young guys my age want the latest/greatest/fastest...but there something to be said for simplicity.......hope to see you at the track again soon.........MATT
Old 06-29-2011, 09:08 PM
Tech Regular

Default Don't blow it!!

Matt, Do you ever change the rod in your little picture motor?
Old 06-29-2011, 09:14 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
Matt, Do you ever change the rod in your little picture motor?
.............LOL...do you think maybe theres some slop in there by now????.like every motor i own, run 'em till they BLOW....
Old 06-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Taylorm
...Ned, it was great to see you at the track again....Joe and I were commenting to each other how neat it is to listen to you "old timers" talk about how things were back in the day.......don't really know why i gravitate to the old stuff..all the young guys my age want the latest/greatest/fastest...but there something to be said for simplicity.......hope to see you at the track again soon.........MATT
The ALL MIGHTY quest for SPEED!!!
Old 06-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default BP R2

great to see pics of all the current cars. i know this has been discussed, but where do you by these online? how about the BPR2?

also, can we have a discussion about performance? which of the current 2wd designs work best? here in the US we dont have much information on the pros/cons for these designs.

Garen, are you importing BP engines and chassis?

-jason
Old 07-01-2011, 08:09 AM
Tech Regular

Thumbs up 2 less wd

Last year at one of the Toledo club races I raced my Motonica P8C against 4wd cars. It was a real up hill battle that I did okay in. However it is what it is, and would be better suited to race other 2wd cars. A 2wd car is a much harder car to drive fast thus a good run in 2wd might feel a bite more rewarding? I don't went to make it sound as 4wd is super easy. Nope a fast guy in 4wd is pushing every bite as hard, but his car is aiding him more.
!/8th 4wd drive is the very top of r/c car racing, but a lower 2wd class could be a blast!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by aarcobra
Hey Rick,
That sure was a fun way to pass time during the rain delay! I'm torn between trying to learn cad (of some sort) or just dusting off the old drawing tools and layiing out my pan car project!!! I want to stay close to the old style with single gear direct drive and a fiberglass chassis instead of the new type with the 4wd type pod layout. I think the extra weight over the rear tires will help and an aluminum pan brings back old memories-mostly bad. ; )

Hope to be back up north again to try to beat Lon with the "modern" car, I know i would win if we were racing the old pan stuff!

It was great to see you and I enjoyed our talk! Later,
Ned
Ned
Actually did learn the basics of CAD quite some time ago but decided that since I was the designer and machinist it served no purpose.
Rick
Old 07-01-2011, 10:32 AM
Tech Regular

Default Wondering

We seem to have intruded on the modern european 2wd pan car thread with our discussion of old fossils - wonder if there is thread more appropriate or maybe we should start one
Old 07-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
We seem to have intruded on the modern european 2wd pan car thread with our discussion of old fossils - wonder if there is thread more appropriate or maybe we should start one
I donīt know the current rules for European Pan Cars, but I should think they both benefit from a single tread. Just my thought...

Looked at some Pan Cars at YouTube, they donīt look to be that slow even if theyīre not 4wd and run full suspension. Cool cars!
Old 07-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Tech Master

google "cf classique" and look at the tag video's. There are a lot of nice and fast races.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:45 PM
Tech Addict

Hello from France,

the modern classic cars are fast and reliable.
The maintenance is only blowing with the compressor and store your car in the garage for the next race!!!

Driving is totaly different from 4wd.
About performance, lap times are the same compared to 1/10 nitro.
4WD are 2 seconds faster.

on 9/10 of july, ther will be the awesome race of "24 hours of Chateauroux".

I will give you infos and pics after the race.

Au revoir.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Tech Regular

Default I agree

I think all pan car stuff can go together! I don't feel it's old against new here. The guys across the pond there are coming up with some neat stuff and I don't travel to other treads looking for it.
Hay Rick, If I loan you a Motonica P8C, we could go to a 24 hour race?
Old 07-02-2011, 05:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

What engines are you running? Have seen some "classic engines" from Tecnopower, RB and I think Novarossi.
After some reading there is to my understanding quiet little tire wear also, how long will they last approx?
What chassis/manufacturer are the ones to look closer on? It seems to be little to none existing information/support for other than Motonica.
Sorry for all the questions, but Iīm getting more and more interested...
Old 07-02-2011, 09:50 PM
Tech Regular

Cool

When I bought my 3 Motonica P8Cs, they came with a Motonica vintage motor. this motor was built by NovaRossi (they call it classic .21 P). I haven't opened one up, but I'd guess a 3 port buggie motor. I raced mine with an OS Max (which was to much motor). 2wd can't take advantage of the power, while 4wd is looking for more. A good 3 port is all you really need (we racers will try our hardest to run a hotter motor just the same).
Tire wear is something that will change from one track to the next. I'm thinking that most 1/8 scale cars do not put allot of wear on their tires going straight, it's the turns that require scrubbing off speed to get thru. That scrubbing is most of your tire wear. 4wd cars attack turns hard and rip their way thru, as that is where they really shine. 2wd does it's best to get to the next straight away as quickly as it can. 2wd can not push it's way around turns at all, guess what? Not as much tire wear. It would be hard to say if you'd get twice the wear as 4wd, but for sure you'll do better.
The Motonica is the only car of the modern pan cars I've seen. Compared to the pan cars we raced in the good old days, it's complicated and cost almost as much as a 4wd kit.
Still over there it seems to be going strong and my hats off to you guys for that! Over here there is only talk of 2wd and allot kick ass 4wd racing!
Old 07-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

I can see that some evolution has made them a bit more complicated/hi-tech than the vintage Pan Cars. But without full suspension and the front drive-train there should be a little less parts to maintain and therefore be a little cheaper in the long run.
But I might be wrong... Thatīs why I have all of these questions.

There are no races here to compete with these cars, but then Iīm no racer and just want to have the most fun for the least amount of $, so thatīs why I think they might be interesting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.