Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree52Likes

European 2wd 1/8th pan car on-road Classic class

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:12 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by hitcharide1
I am going to order up a set of rubber tires, just to see what they'll do. Maybe they won't be so hot on a 4wd, I really don't know...but thinking about it, I can't see why they wouldn't work on a pan. The two big questions of course is traction and length of wear....
who has rubber tires??
wonder how these would do in the dry?
http://www.redrc.net/2009/04/ats-wet-rain-tires/

http://www.edam.com.tw/shopping_view2.asp?sn=94
http://www.edam.com.tw/shopping_view2.asp?sn=95

.these it Phil???.........im also curious as to how they would be on a pan car.....talk about cost control....get me a set with my order also
Old 10-16-2012, 07:58 AM
Tech Regular

Default What a great idea! Rubber tires.

Wish you guys would leave the strange stuff behind and just come up with a solid performing car.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:05 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Das 1/8th Mopar
Wish you guys would leave the strange stuff behind and just come up with a solid performing car.
But the strange stuff is so much more interesting!

The f1 thing sounds interesting though.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Strange??

Not at all. Strange would be trying to inflate the rubber tires with helium to make the car lighter. Strange would be an all metal tire with studs. Strange would be square tires (yeah, they might not roll so great...but what a stance!) What would also be strange is if I made a tiny set of chains to fit the rubber tires for driving in the snow....wait a sec....I've just given myself an idea.....
Old 10-16-2012, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Raci...vip=true&rt=nc
...look how much Davis's mug went for..whoah..........

Last edited by Taylorm; 10-16-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:55 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Taylorm
...lokk how much Davis's mug went for..whoah..........
Hasn't changed a bit!
Old 10-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

...lokk how much Davis's mug went for..whoah..........
Remind me to get Rick to autograph a few pics I have of him from way back, along with some crap I have laying around the house....maybe an ashtray or empty Pepsi can...and then off to Ebay I will go, I'll make millions!!

Also, heads up....Edam has a SHOE type clutch setup as well for the Razor, tho it'd probably fit everything else as well. Not only would this be a plus for a newbie, I expect, but it may come in handy for those who have trouble with the bloody centax setup. Yeah, I think I finally have a handle on centax, but I'm half tempted to try the shoe anyhow just to see what it'll do.
Old 10-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Tech Master

Remind me to get Rick to autograph a few pics I have of him from way back, along with some crap I have laying around the house....maybe an ashtray or empty Pepsi can...and then off to Ebay I will go, I'll make millions!!

Also, heads up....Edam has a SHOE type clutch setup as well for the Razor, tho it'd probably fit everything else as well. Not only would this be a plus for a newbie, I expect, but it may come in handy for those who have trouble with the bloody centax setup. Yeah, I think I finally have a handle on centax, but I'm half tempted to try the shoe anyhow just to see what it'll do.
....screw the shoe clutch.....never look back.....oh wait..........i was running a RC300....LOL
Old 10-16-2012, 10:36 PM
Tech Addict

Default Hey

....screw the shoe clutch.....never look back.....oh wait..........i was running a RC300....LOL
Unless I'm reading my email wrong, it looks like I can get a full set of rubber tires for 30 bucks. I sent another email to find out what shore and if there is more than one shore availible but it's definitely cheap enough.

And that shoe clutch still takes the same gears (also means pretty much everyone elses gears fit as well. Granted, I bought the Serpent stuff from Rick and still intend to use it, especially since it seems like I have a better handle on centax, but I plan to pick up a few of these. I want to see how well they work, I want them on hand for newbies, and since they only run me about 25 bucks flywheel/out, it's definitely cheap enough.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:22 AM
Tech Addict

Unless I'm reading my email wrong, it looks like I can get a full set of rubber tires for 30 bucks. I sent another email to find out what shore and if there is more than one shore availible but it's definitely cheap enough.

And that shoe clutch still takes the same gears (also means pretty much everyone elses gears fit as well. Granted, I bought the Serpent stuff from Rick and still intend to use it, especially since it seems like I have a better handle on centax, but I plan to pick up a few of these. I want to see how well they work, I want them on hand for newbies, and since they only run me about 25 bucks flywheel/out, it's definitely cheap enough.
Phil, is it a 3 shoe? 4 shoe?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:00 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hey

Originally Posted by Farmer_John
Phil, is it a 3 shoe? 4 shoe?
Three shoe, not like the Motonica setup, more like Kyosho w/springs. I assume it wouldn't have all the performance of the centax but I suspect it'd be a lot more reliable and for hackers like me, that extra edge in performance only means more stuff breaks when I hit the wall (and boy is that painful to admit.) The part I really like about it is that all the gears fit and it's ridiculously cheap, comes complete from the flywheel all the way out. Eh...maybe Edam is the Big Lots or Sam's Club of racing...but I buy a lot of crap from those places...lol. Only prob is I don't know if I can use it on my version of a pan. I will definitely give it a try on the 4wd, but I'd already committed to using the Kyosho GT setup (same three shoe but different size and gears.) I suspect I'll have to stay that route tho it costs me a few more bucks, but it's still looking like a one time purchase thing since Tom ate no gears or had any incident worth mentioning all year long. He'd started with those stupid aluminum shoes but ran most of the year using Traxxas two speed clutch shoes in the bell and they hold up well (plus they cost about five bucks.) Another bright side is the bearing issue...most of the bearings that will be in the pan are the same as in the GT and I can buy bearing sets off Ebay for about 11 bucks and that includes all the bearings in the drive train, plus the bearings for the bell. In all our planning and building we'll be using the Motonica as the benchmark as what to beat. For this to be more than just a venture in modelling, it's got to hold its own on the track and cost at least 1/3 less to make it viable for others to want to do it as well. Right now, not counting parts we'll make ourselves (and that anyone else could make, it's not rocket science) we're still under 200 so we're definitely on the right track as to where we want to go.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

yes!!! if you go too far out on a limb it will break. but there is a certain fun in strange stuff.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:29 AM
Tech Regular

Three shoe, not like the Motonica setup, more like Kyosho w/springs. I assume it wouldn't have all the performance of the centax but I suspect it'd be a lot more reliable and for hackers like me, that extra edge in performance only means more stuff breaks when I hit the wall (and boy is that painful to admit.) The part I really like about it is that all the gears fit and it's ridiculously cheap, comes complete from the flywheel all the way out. Eh...maybe Edam is the Big Lots or Sam's Club of racing...but I buy a lot of crap from those places...lol. Only prob is I don't know if I can use it on my version of a pan. I will definitely give it a try on the 4wd, but I'd already committed to using the Kyosho GT setup (same three shoe but different size and gears.) I suspect I'll have to stay that route tho it costs me a few more bucks, but it's still looking like a one time purchase thing since Tom ate no gears or had any incident worth mentioning all year long. He'd started with those stupid aluminum shoes but ran most of the year using Traxxas two speed clutch shoes in the bell and they hold up well (plus they cost about five bucks.) Another bright side is the bearing issue...most of the bearings that will be in the pan are the same as in the GT and I can buy bearing sets off Ebay for about 11 bucks and that includes all the bearings in the drive train, plus the bearings for the bell. In all our planning and building we'll be using the Motonica as the benchmark as what to beat. For this to be more than just a venture in modelling, it's got to hold its own on the track and cost at least 1/3 less to make it viable for others to want to do it as well. Right now, not counting parts we'll make ourselves (and that anyone else could make, it's not rocket science) we're still under 200 so we're definitely on the right track as to where we want to go.
No matter how good your project turns out I still think the key to getting new racers is to have cars & parts sitting in Pat's shop so that interested people can look and decide and then go back for parts the same day not wait for them to come from timbuktu , if you truly are passionate about the project consider offering to put a car and some parts on his shelf on consignment.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Tech Addict

Default Hm

Originally Posted by Rick Davis
No matter how good your project turns out I still think the key to getting new racers is to have cars & parts sitting in Pat's shop so that interested people can look and decide and then go back for parts the same day not wait for them to come from timbuktu , if you truly are passionate about the project consider offering to put a car and some parts on his shelf on consignment.
First, who is this Pat fellow of whom you speak....

We'd planned a few ways to go with this. One is to actually produce complete cars and sell them. Another was to produce the parts you can't buy, and let the customer go shopping himself for what he needs to complete the build. The last was to produce a car, test it, prove it works, then sell plans and let anyone who wants build their own.

I am personally most in favor of the last idea. I'm sure you've had to build a thing or two over the years, and part of the reason dear old Dad wanted to get in this hobby was not for the racing (cause he couldn't drive to save his...) but he really enjoyed modelling and I'd hope there would be others like that.

I know that doesn't address those who either have no desire to build or simply can't, due to lack of tools or experience. So my next best idea was option two, where we build what MUST be provided and let a person do as they like on the rest.

However, the lack of onroad cars in hobby shops is a hell of a point. Right now we're word of mouth but not tapping the market of "have cash will buy." So...tell ya what I'll do, if you and a few others think it necessary.

Step one...build the prototype and run the thing. If it doesn't work, on to the next project. If it does work, I'll have Tom (who will probably shoot me) gear up to build ten of the things, minus parts that can either be bought locally or online (engine, drivetrain, servos, the usual, I will include all Edam parts in the rolling chassis and include fuel tank and rubber tires). I'll include a sheet with data as to where the rest of the parts can be bought, which parts will work, and detailed instructions for building/assembly. I'll go one further and stock up on the rubber tires...good for the newbie who wants to putter before hitting the track. And I'll supply this Pat fellow with the goods on consignment so he won't lose money on them while waiting for them to sell.

I've already determined that I'll support Edam for at least three years. I'll go to races and carry the parts supply with me, etc., since I'm running the 4wd and a lot of Edam will be in the pan. If it gets to the point where health or some other issue forces me back out, then either Dave can pick up the slack or I'll give my stuff to someone else, but right here and now, I'll commit to support what I'm selling and building.

Go you another one further...if the pan works out, we'll build one and donate it as a prize at the GLC next year like we did an Edam this year.

So...whatcha think?
Old 10-17-2012, 10:16 AM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=hitcharide1;11335936]

First, who is this Pat fellow of whom you speak....

Pat is Pat Falgout (probably just butchered the spelling - oh well) from the local hobby shop that used to be right in the mall but is now about a mile west in another mall.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.