R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-05-2005, 02:48 PM   #16

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Artificial-I

Quote:
Originally Posted by performula
Also, does Byron use an inner cap or foil underneath their bottle caps? I ask because I purchased a new gallon of 30% yesterday and all it had was the main cap.
Yeah odonnels has nothing either. BT had the cap. Dont know about the others though. Guess we can just verify what we know and let others complete the list.
Artificial-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2005, 07:50 PM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
I think I hate odonnel. I wanted to try it for the longest time. Well upon using it im not overly impressed.

Also it stains everything. All my fuel tubing , my exhaust gaskets and even the side of my nitro cars stickers have all turned yellow.

Just for that fact im probably going to move on. Powerwise and tuning wise its hard to tell. It ran fine in my cv-r which is easy to run. The other problem with odonnel is it seems to foam a bit more. I believe BT had some stuff to stop that. Id say BT is smart but it just doesnt make the power the others do.

Someone above said they tried maxi? Im guessing maxys fuel. I think thats next on the list for me.

I dont think my store even carries byrons. We just have jacs , omega , maxys , white lightning and blue thunder.

If anyone could give me some suggestions on those that would be great. Anyone who has tried a few.
All the sudden I'm hearing great things about Byron's and a few guys in Atlanta use it in their 8 scalers.

Do you know if Mugen and Byrons is the same fuel?
performula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 05:55 AM   #18

Weird. I never heard much about byrons really. Sorry I have no other info on that area.

But if you want to try new fuels. Ive heard a good bit about maxys.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:20 AM   #19
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

YES Mugen and Byron are the same fuel.No byrons does not foil seal their cap.
Byron's had told me their oil was 11%,don't know what the split is natural to synthetic oil.Has always run very well and consistently for me. Does not appear to be anywhere near as corrosive as OD fuel.Still must flush your engine completely.
trashcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 07:06 AM   #20
Tech Master

AI, BT dyes the internals pretty bad too.

I have used OD, BT, and going to try Byrons this weekend. This is my first 30% blend so I do not know how much difference it will make. Plus this is my first time with Byron. If the stuff is good it could be that it is a higher percentage and that it is Byrons.

Trashcar, thanks for the clarification, I knew something was up!
Old 06-06-2005, 07:42 AM   #21

Quote:
AI, BT dyes the internals pretty bad too.

I have used OD, BT, and going to try Byrons this weekend. This is my first 30% blend so I do not know how much difference it will make. Plus this is my first time with Byron. If the stuff is good it could be that it is a higher percentage and that it is Byrons.

Trashcar, thanks for the clarification, I knew something was up!
Yeah ive seen it die the internals...but nothing as bad as odonnels. I also dripped some od on my radio the other day it made the areas light and chalky.....ARG!

Glad its almost used up.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:27 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

i have tried making my own fuel and am very happy with it. i know exactly what goes into it, etc. also, in my fuel, i use the best castor possible. it is pressed castor, virgin castor oil. i do not blend between castor and synthetic, i just use complete castor. my engine ran much cooler.
but if i was to buy a manufactured fuel, my experience with all the various fuel i woul have to say i was most happy with Mugen (Byrons) fuel. i tried the odonnel with one gallon and the insides of the engine is a yellow color now.
also, i only add in my fuel what is needed. and all the ingredients are clear except for the castor oil. after i add the castor oil, the fuel turns a light gold color. it looks a lot like the byron fuel. so this makes me think that byron does not add unneeded chemicals. that's my 2 cents.
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:39 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Byrons I believe does add a small percentage of an igniter,other than that it's a synthetic and castor blend. When blending I ran 8% synthetic (Klotz) 3% castor (Benol or Blendzall) with igniter and had good success however it's easier and more consistent to buy Byron's.Large batches and electronic blending PLUS years of experience,you can't beat it.
trashcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 08:50 AM   #24
Tech Master

This is the response from Byrons with my previous Q's:

We do make Mugen Fuel and their fuel is made a little differently according to their needs. However, we do not make a bad fuel and you cannot go wrong with either Byron or Mugen.

We tried plugs in the bottles once upon a time and since the bottles and plugs came from different sources, a slight varience one way or another on either product would result in a poor fit and a leaking bottle, regardless of how the cap sealed. So we decided to go with a good seal on the cap only.

We do not use a foil seal simply because that requires induction and induction is done by electromagnetics. We have tried to locate a supplier of electromagnetic induction sealing equipment that will provide us with "explosion proof" equipment but no one wants to go out on the limb. If you find foil seals on bottles of model engine fuel, you can be sure the bottler is taking his own risks on applying that seal and we value our employees too much to do that.

I hope this answers some of your questions. While a hermatically sealed bottle would be great, freshness is generally not affected and tamperproof security is not worth the potential dangers.

Best regards,
BYRON ORIGINALS, INC.

Very informative company over two questions?
Old 06-06-2005, 09:12 AM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
This is the response from Byrons with my previous Q's:

We do make Mugen Fuel and their fuel is made a little differently according to their needs. However, we do not make a bad fuel and you cannot go wrong with either Byron or Mugen.

We tried plugs in the bottles once upon a time and since the bottles and plugs came from different sources, a slight varience one way or another on either product would result in a poor fit and a leaking bottle, regardless of how the cap sealed. So we decided to go with a good seal on the cap only.

We do not use a foil seal simply because that requires induction and induction is done by electromagnetics. We have tried to locate a supplier of electromagnetic induction sealing equipment that will provide us with "explosion proof" equipment but no one wants to go out on the limb. If you find foil seals on bottles of model engine fuel, you can be sure the bottler is taking his own risks on applying that seal and we value our employees too much to do that.

I hope this answers some of your questions. While a hermatically sealed bottle would be great, freshness is generally not affected and tamperproof security is not worth the potential dangers.

Best regards,
BYRON ORIGINALS, INC.

Very informative company over two questions?
But where can you get it??????????? (this is why i started making my own because i can not find good consistent fuel)
Joe Chaplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 09:15 AM   #26
Tech Master

Hobbytown in Kennesaw, GA.
Old 06-06-2005, 10:50 AM   #27
Tech Fanatic

does anyone have any imput about these 3 types of fuels?????
1. Blue Thunder Race Formula (20% and i dont no the oil)
2. Sidewinded race blend (20% 12%)
3. Trinity Monster Horspower (20% 12%)

anyone have any info at all about these fuels please let me know asap....

thanks

Mike
factory racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 12:41 PM   #28
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artificial-I
I think I hate odonnel. I wanted to try it for the longest time. Well upon using it im not overly impressed.

Also it stains everything. All my fuel tubing , my exhaust gaskets and even the side of my nitro cars stickers have all turned yellow.

Just for that fact im probably going to move on. Powerwise and tuning wise its hard to tell. It ran fine in my cv-r which is easy to run. The other problem with odonnel is it seems to foam a bit more. I believe BT had some stuff to stop that. Id say BT is smart but it just doesnt make the power the others do.

Someone above said they tried maxi? Im guessing maxys fuel. I think thats next on the list for me.

I dont think my store even carries byrons. We just have jacs , omega , maxys , white lightning and blue thunder.

If anyone could give me some suggestions on those that would be great. Anyone who has tried a few.

I could never get the idle right when I was on Odonnel. Tuning all time. It seems to lose power after some laps. Later , I found a badly rusted internal which ruined its bearing and piston. I lost three motors and 10 plugs!

Byron is fine but seems to run hot, some 20 degree higher then OD.
Blue thunder is identical to sidewinder which I am currently using. They are good accept they tend to stain the internal and somehow underpower. Going to switch to Maxy in my next gallon, any opinion on Maxy ?
howardjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2005, 01:45 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by howardjones
I could never get the idle right when I was on Odonnel. Tuning all time. It seems to lose power after some laps. Later , I found a badly rusted internal which ruined its bearing and piston. I lost three motors and 10 plugs!

Byron is fine but seems to run hot, some 20 degree higher then OD.
Blue thunder is identical to sidewinder which I am currently using. They are good accept they tend to stain the internal and somehow underpower. Going to switch to Maxy in my next gallon, any opinion on Maxy ?
Doesnt blue thunder have a limiting effect so you cant lean it to much. I know bt also has anti foaming fuel as well. This is also a plus.

I liked the fuel. I had no clue sidewinder made it though. I know there are all sorts of weird things that companies make and rebadge or reformulate for others.

Yes please let us know what you think of maxy. Im going to tune my motor out on OD then switch to maxy. Ill let you guys know how it goes as well.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:07 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

Quote:
Originally Posted by factory racer
does anyone have any imput about these 3 types of fuels?????
1. Blue Thunder Race Formula (20% and i dont no the oil)
2. Sidewinded race blend (20% 12%)
3. Trinity Monster Horspower (20% 12%)

anyone have any info at all about these fuels please let me know asap....

thanks

Mike
Blue Thunder is CRAP. Leaves the inside stained and gooey. It runs slow and hot. The oil content is pretty high.

Sidewinder is pretty good although I haven't tried 20%. It runs clean but is hard to find for me.

Trinity has two blends, the platinum and then the regular monster stuff which can be distinguised by either a pink or purple color respectively. The Platinum is 8% oil and is really good but it's pricier than most and I can't seem to find it anymore. The regular purple monster stuff runs okay. I think their fuel is made by Wildcats and they have been making good fuel for a long time. I would rather run O'Donnel or Byrons because the monster fuel is overpriced and doesn't run as good.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote