R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 03-12-2002, 05:46 PM   #16
Tech Master

There's nothing that would prevent you from running a centax clutch in a GT4. You'll need an sg shaft engine or adapter to make a standard crank engine have sg. You might have to use different motor mounts to get everything to line up, but you can put one in virtually any car with a 2-speed. I run them in my Impact, MTX-2 and FW-04 without problems.
psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 05:58 PM   #17
Tech Adept

What company centax would fit a GT4? the cars you have they have thier own manufactuar centax clutch. is it possible to have a 3 speed centax clutch??

~Brandon
LiLRCLoUiE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 06:06 PM   #18
Tech Master

LiLRCLoUiE

There's nothing special about a clutch. If it fits on your engine, it really doesn't matter what brand it is. The only thing that matters is if it will line up with the spurgears. I use a Mugen centax clutch on my Kyosho FW04 mounted on a Collari Innotech engine. Everything fits perfectly and Kyosho doesn't make a centax clutch. You may have to muck with the flywheel spacing a bit to get things to line up, or in extreme cases, use different motor mounts. As far as a 3 speed goes, there is really no need for that since race engines have more than enough grunt to have good acceleration from the 1st gear and good top speed from the 2nd gear. If you're just looking for more top speed, the only thing that matters is your final gear ratio and the amount of runway you have. More gears doesn't = more speed. Only a lower final gear ratio (closer to 1:1) will get you more speed (assuming we are only concerned with gearing.)
Old 03-12-2002, 06:12 PM   #19
Tech Adept

Whats a good gear ratio fr my MTX-2 pro spec?

~Brandon
Old 03-12-2002, 07:25 PM   #20
Tech Regular

Cool

Hey LiLRCLoUiE

The Yokomo drivers here in SoCal are using the OFNA clutch, its made for the GT4. Call NitroHouse.com, or call Steve(TECH)at OFNA there'll be able to get you going. The only problem is you can't use the lower engine mounts for the GT4R... Unless you grind the chassis and the Clutch bell outer ring(where the starter wheel contacts the engine) and set your up stops(on rear arms) so the exposed flywheel ring doesn't hit the ground... I converted an older OFNA clutch for the Z10 to kind of fit. Maybe they have a Newer Clutch for the GT4R now but I don't know, they'd have to redesign the whole clutch system(Bell, clutch shoes, mounting) I would think.

Keep the Rubber(or Foam)on the Road!!!

Bradley J. Gotori
[email protected]
bgotori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2002, 09:27 PM   #21
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to adelmundo Send a message via AIM to adelmundo

Quote:
Originally posted by psycho
LiLRCLoUiE

There's nothing special about a clutch. If it fits on your engine, it really doesn't matter what brand it is. The only thing that matters is if it will line up with the spurgears. I use a Mugen centax clutch on my Kyosho FW04 mounted on a Collari Innotech engine. Everything fits perfectly and Kyosho doesn't make a centax clutch. You may have to muck with the flywheel spacing a bit to get things to line up, or in extreme cases, use different motor mounts. As far as a 3 speed goes, there is really no need for that since race engines have more than enough grunt to have good acceleration from the 1st gear and good top speed from the 2nd gear. If you're just looking for more top speed, the only thing that matters is your final gear ratio and the amount of runway you have. More gears doesn't = more speed. Only a lower final gear ratio (closer to 1:1) will get you more speed (assuming we are only concerned with gearing.)
KYOSHO doesn make a centax clutch. They have one for the Kyosho 1/8th Fantom and also for the V-ONE RR. hehehe
adelmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 08:40 AM   #22
Tech Adept

Art,

So your saying Kyosho does or dosent make a centax?

~Brandon
Old 03-13-2002, 08:52 AM   #23
Tech Addict

Thanks guys. I have heard that the Serpent will fit 2. But I am not sure. And I believe the reason the the Ofna doesnt work with out mods is because Yok just redesigned there chassis for the GT-4 so that wouldn't happen again. If you guys find anything else out please let me know.
BallPy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 11:12 AM   #24
Tech Regular

Send a message via ICQ to adelmundo Send a message via AIM to adelmundo

Quote:
Originally posted by LiLRCLoUiE
Art,

So your saying Kyosho does or dosent make a centax?

~Brandon
Yes they make Centax clutches. In fact I have the one made for the V-ONE RR on my V-ONE RR, and I ordered another one from HK to put on one of my regular V-ONE R's. Kyosho also makes one for the Fantom as well, and maybe other cars but I don't remember which other ones.
adelmundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 11:26 AM   #25
Tech Regular

Cool

Hey BallPy

OFNA does make one for the Yokomo GT4 it just doesn't fit the GT4R w/lower engine mounts. All the Yokomo driver in SoCal are using them...

Keep the Rubber(or Foam)on the Road!!!

Bradley J. Gotori
[email protected]
bgotori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 11:42 AM   #26
Tech Master

adelmundo

I guess I'm not keeping up with the times! Kyosho stuff it too expensive anyways!
Old 03-13-2002, 12:41 PM   #27
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

Mr. MTX,

If you are only hanging on by half a thread, you either need a softer spring or something else is off. IIRC, the gold spring is the stock 1/8 spring and the black is a little softer and is the stock 1/10 (235mm) clutch spring. There are a couple of other springs that are a little softer. I am running the aforementoned clutch with the black spring it came with and it works well but is a bit too sensitive on the adjustment side. OTOH, the softer spring just didn't have enough bite for foam use and the RS motor I am running.

Don't forget there are 2 sides to centax adjustment and you didn't mention end play. If the clutch bell has too much end play, your clutch will engage later as well because the shoe/spring has to travel the extra distance. Grab the clutch bel and move it in and out and note how far it is traveling? You are shooting for ~.5mm
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 12:42 PM   #28
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to fraz

Wheeee, I'm a rookie.<bwahaha>
fraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 03:15 PM   #29
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Mr MTX

To: Fraz Yeah I need to look into that My buddy also has teh MTX and i beleive his is teh same way. But being that we put the cars together at the same time we could haveboth messed something up. Thanks for the info
Mr MTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2002, 03:50 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

you dont need the mugen tool. notice the small hole in the side of the clutch bell. sitck the tip of a wrench in there and catch the slot on the clutch nut. then turn the fly wheel. bingo.
raffaelli is offline   Reply With Quote