R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-13-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Front One Way discussion

Can we talk about front one ways? Are one ways only for big tracks or can you be fast with one at smaller tracks as well? I would love to here the opinions of all the forum racers on here. Come on don't be shy, help us newbies out
IDrinkNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 04:44 PM   #2
Tech Elite

IDrinkNitro;

Having 2 almost identical cars, 1 set-up for large permanent tracks (with 1-way), the other for short parking lot tracks (front diff). I have had the opportunity to do some testing with each car on both types of tracks in recent months.

Without a doubt the installation of the one-way made the car much faster in the corners on the large track. Braking is tricky, but you get used to the different driving style fairly easy.

In testing with both Cars on a medium size, medium traction parking lot track, the 1-way equipped Car can run noticeably quicker lap times. Much less speed is scrubbed off in the corners and power can be applied earlier exiting.
popsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 05:56 PM   #3
Tech Master

Do you use brakes much at all Popsracer?

I find I dont touch them, may be just be the tracks im racing on I guess but I learnt with a one-way (ie dont use brakes) and even though my "new" car has a front diff I still don't use the brakes, just get off the throttle at the right time
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 09:37 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

Maybe some questions can be answered here. If I don't have a one-way, why is heavy diff oil recommended for front diffs? Wouldn't that make a diff work even less like a one-way?

And, why is a rear diff left loose, but solid rears are the upgrade?

It would seem to me to simulate these upgrades, you would free up the front diff and put 100,000 oil in the rear diff.

Can someone shed some light on this?
h82crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 10:48 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Adding oil to your diffs will make them work more like a one-way, not less.

When you run your diff with no oil you have what's called an "open diff." A open diff will send power to the wheel with the least amount of traction. Something you don't want. When you go thru a turn, the inside wheel will come off the track and with a open diff, that wheel will get all the power and sit there and spin. So by adding heavy oil, the diff will act more like a one-way and both wheels will receive power. This helps to pull the car out of a turn.

Generally you want the rear diff to be somewhat like a open diff. If the rear diff is like a one-way,,, whenever you get on the gas it pushes the car. That's fine unless you're exiting a turn. If the rear diff is pushing the car, then when you are on the gas exiting a turn, your car will tend to understeer.
The Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 01:52 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Guys;

The end of the car with the "Stiffer" diff action will have less grip.

This is the reason for usually running a thicker oil in the front. It creates a slight understeer (push) condition that is easier to drive for the average person. The problem is that causes more speed to be scrubbed off in corners.

With a front 1-way, you have less on power steering and MORE off power steering. With this, you adjust your set-up and driving style and end up with a Car that is faster through the corners.

au_Nightmare;

I used to be a late braker and this always worked well in years past on tight tracks.
But, as more cars come equipped from the factory with F-1-W's and people learn to drive them, I am left in the dust when running my car that still has a front diff.
At our permanent track, the corners are fast and sweeping and brakes are never needed (unless you WANT to stop).
Old 02-14-2004, 02:01 PM   #7
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to neptunes
Front One Way discussion

which is better on a narrow track? front diffs or one ways? and also for a wide track?
neptunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 06:38 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Thumbs up

This has been very helpful to me so far. I appreciate the input from you guys with experience..thanks and keep it coming, lets hear it from all you guys who haven't given your 2 cents yet..
IDrinkNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 10:05 PM   #9
Tech Elite

neptunes;

Really it amounts to how much braking you REALLY need to get around the track.
If you MUST brake to get around the corners, a diff equipped Car MAY be faster and will most definately be easier to drive for the average person.
The LESS you need to brake in the corners, the more advantage you will gain from running a front one-way.
Old 02-14-2004, 10:19 PM   #10
Tech Master

This is my experience (popsracer can comment on this, hes got much more experience, im still a noob

I Personally I find its better to coast in to the corner (no brakes), you can judge the speed you will be taking the corner at much better then flying up and jumping on the brakes. Also you will be able to corner better if your front wheels are not using vitial traction trying to slow the car down (full traction goes in to turning the car). You may enter the corner slower but can get on power earlier then if you came in too hot under brakes.

Another thing you may want to try is drag brakes (brakes are always on a little in throttle idle position) Iv'e not tried this so cant comment
au_Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 11:28 PM   #11
Tech Initiate

Thanks, this was very helpful. I currently run a diff and drag on the brake. I don't apply brakes, just time when I need to let off before entering the turn. Works for me, but if rear traction is low the rear may come around. Guess I'll be changing my driving style when I go to a 1 way.
h82crash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 06:14 AM   #12
Tech Master

Certain tracks almost require the use of one-ways in order to be fast, while at others, it is only a detriment.

If you have to do any serious amount of braking, don't look at using a one-way. If you can get away with rolling into most of the corners and maybe some moderate braking at a few places around the track then try a one-way. If you have quite a bit of room and can stay on the throttle for most of the corners, without doubt try a one-way.

The main advantages of a one-way is the corner speed and on-power steering. And when switching from a diff to a one-way, thicken the rear diff oil by one to three steps up on the diff oil depending on how you like the car to feel.

And while it goes without saying, I'll say, diff or no diff, hard braking while steering is a retarded move... just don't.
Quote:
which is better on a narrow track? front diffs or one ways? and also for a wide track?
well if you don't have to brake a lot, I'd say a one-way because it is so much more nimble. But if you can't handle it in the confines of the track, you know what that means (practice more... only joking... or maybe not ).
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 10:50 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Guys;

99% of ALL braking is done while the car is pointed straight. There are a few instances where an experienced driver can use a tap of the brakes in a corner to bring the car down.

au_Nightmare;

I agree 100%. An experienced driver will produce faster lap times using this method on a one-way equipped car.

Im2lazy;

Using a front one-way causes an on-power push in most cars. By thickening the rear diff oil, you loosen the rear of the car up for more on-power steering.
On very tight tracks, it can be advantagous to run very thin oil in the rear diff (500-1,000wt). This allows the car to roll easier off-power through tight corners and the rear to stay planted on-power. The only dissadvantage is frequent oil changes are needed to keep the diff consistant from week to week.