R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2009, 07:20 PM   #1
Tech Adept
 
Soundstream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 204
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Soundstream
Default HELP!! HPI RS4 3Evo question

I recently purchased a rs4 3 evo that has had approx 10 tanks thru it. Stk engine. There is no hesitation and I believe I have it tuned correctly, new to nitro though but old to the hobby. I am having trouble flaming out. Mostly in wot in a hairpin turn or under full braking. I have since taken a piece of fuel tubing and mounted the tank so it was like mounted in rubber to help stop foaming....maybe it will help, havent gotten to try it yet it got dark on me.
Second problem is I cant detect any shifting into second. the adjuster was very tight. I backed it off almost 3 turns and still nothing. Like I said I'm new to nitro so I am just hoping for a helping hand so I dont mess something up
Soundstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
Tech Regular
 
fastharryDOTcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: http://www.fastharry.com NJ
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundstream View Post
I recently purchased a rs4 3 evo that has had approx 10 tanks thru it. Stk engine. There is no hesitation and I believe I have it tuned correctly, new to nitro though but old to the hobby. I am having trouble flaming out. Mostly in wot in a hairpin turn or under full braking. I have since taken a piece of fuel tubing and mounted the tank so it was like mounted in rubber to help stop foaming....maybe it will help, havent gotten to try it yet it got dark on me.
Second problem is I cant detect any shifting into second. the adjuster was very tight. I backed it off almost 3 turns and still nothing. Like I said I'm new to nitro so I am just hoping for a helping hand so I dont mess something up


When it flames out, how hot is it?
__________________
visit fastharry.com We are always updating the site with new cars and cool rc stuff.
old user name "fastharry"Posts: 2,845 Original join date 2001..HPI Challenge Winner.
fastharryDOTcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #3
Tech Adept
 
Soundstream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 204
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Soundstream
Default

about 195 according to my duratrax temp gun
Soundstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:06 PM   #4
Tech Adept
 
Soundstream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 204
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Soundstream
Default

Think I figured it out, changed glow plug to med since its cooler out and found my header nuts backed off slightly, probably changing mixture some as it moved on those hard turns.
__________________
Team Terribles Member
Tamiya 801Xt, Robitronic Mantis, Robitronic Avid, Robitronic Scalpel, Robitronic Protos, Sportwerks Mayhem pro, HPI Nitro RS4 3 EVO+ RS4 Drift, HPI Micro RS4, Sportwerks recoil, Sportwerks Raven BX, Losi Aftershock, Losi NXT, Associated RC10R5, Associated NTC-3, Spektrum DX3R pro, Radiopost module system.
Soundstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Tech Regular
 
fastharryDOTcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: http://www.fastharry.com NJ
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundstream View Post
Think I figured it out, changed glow plug to med since its cooler out and found my header nuts backed off slightly, probably changing mixture some as it moved on those hard turns.



Try using an OS8 in the engine. Also, make sure that one, the clutch springs are OK and that they are not broken. If they are damaged, when you brake the engine will stall. Also, I would try leaning it out a couple of clicks. My t 15 runs good in the 230 degree range. Also, what type of fuel are you using?
__________________
visit fastharry.com We are always updating the site with new cars and cool rc stuff.
old user name "fastharry"Posts: 2,845 Original join date 2001..HPI Challenge Winner.
fastharryDOTcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Virginia, USA
Posts: 480
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Listen to the man...when it comes to HPI's RS4's, Harry knows his stuff...its almost like he works for HPI, but minus the paycheck! Go home Harry...you shift is over for today
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 09:12 PM   #7
Tech Adept
 
Soundstream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 204
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Soundstream
Default

Wow thanks for the help I will check that out. I run 30% odonnell race fuel. I will go get the os 8 plug tomorrow and do what you said and try that.
How long should a set of clutch shoes last? As a guide line. This is my first nitro on road car so im still learning and at the track most run this car and one or 2 ntc3.
I know odonnell is good but a friend is trying to get me to switch to werks 30% or byron gen 2 30%, Kinda off subject, but since your almost on the payroll (lol) I would value your opinion
__________________
Team Terribles Member
Tamiya 801Xt, Robitronic Mantis, Robitronic Avid, Robitronic Scalpel, Robitronic Protos, Sportwerks Mayhem pro, HPI Nitro RS4 3 EVO+ RS4 Drift, HPI Micro RS4, Sportwerks recoil, Sportwerks Raven BX, Losi Aftershock, Losi NXT, Associated RC10R5, Associated NTC-3, Spektrum DX3R pro, Radiopost module system.
Soundstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:18 AM   #8
Tech Regular
 
fastharryDOTcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: http://www.fastharry.com NJ
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundstream View Post
Wow thanks for the help I will check that out. I run 30% odonnell race fuel. I will go get the os 8 plug tomorrow and do what you said and try that.
How long should a set of clutch shoes last? As a guide line. This is my first nitro on road car so im still learning and at the track most run this car and one or 2 ntc3.
I know odonnell is good but a friend is trying to get me to switch to werks 30% or byron gen 2 30%, Kinda off subject, but since your almost on the payroll (lol) I would value your opinion



The clutch shoes are probably fine, It's the springs I was concerned with. If the car has no prblem witting in one spot while running then they are fine. If you have to hold your finger on the brake, then the springs could be bad, the linkage need to be adjusted, or the trim needs to be adjusted.


As far as fuel, I run maxy's. I personally don't care for Odonnell and have had no experiance with the other 2. But If I had to make a choice between the 3, I would go wih Byron's. And try to keep the oil content in the fuel mix you get to 10% or less. To much oil content makes tuning a PIA.
__________________
visit fastharry.com We are always updating the site with new cars and cool rc stuff.
old user name "fastharry"Posts: 2,845 Original join date 2001..HPI Challenge Winner.
fastharryDOTcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 04:47 PM   #9
Tech Adept
 
Soundstream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 204
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to Soundstream
Default

Well the lhs was out of os 8 plugs so i got an mc8. They said basically same plug just different name. Hopefully it will work ok. Never used a mccoy plug before. Its raining here so wont get to test today
__________________
Team Terribles Member
Tamiya 801Xt, Robitronic Mantis, Robitronic Avid, Robitronic Scalpel, Robitronic Protos, Sportwerks Mayhem pro, HPI Nitro RS4 3 EVO+ RS4 Drift, HPI Micro RS4, Sportwerks recoil, Sportwerks Raven BX, Losi Aftershock, Losi NXT, Associated RC10R5, Associated NTC-3, Spektrum DX3R pro, Radiopost module system.
Soundstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #10
Tech Regular
 
fastharryDOTcom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: http://www.fastharry.com NJ
Posts: 303
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundstream View Post
Well the lhs was out of os 8 plugs so i got an mc8. They said basically same plug just different name. Hopefully it will work ok. Never used a mccoy plug before. Its raining here so wont get to test today


make sure you measure the length (threaded part) of the McCoy plug against the original HPI plug. If I remember correctly, The HPI motors use a short plug, the OS plugs are short plugs also. If it's a long threaded plug, it might be an issue with piston clearance.


Just do a double check to make sure.
__________________
visit fastharry.com We are always updating the site with new cars and cool rc stuff.
old user name "fastharry"Posts: 2,845 Original join date 2001..HPI Challenge Winner.
fastharryDOTcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 12:32 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net