Tech Elite

Send a message via AIM to stefan

I'm sure Aaron is going to appreciate this
stefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 07:55 AM   #182
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by sparksy
And here I am being a rude bastard and not replying.

11 a pair + shipping is too much.
9 a pair (for 6 pairs) is much better, but the shipping from the states would blow that out a fair bit.

If we had them in a store here they would be$25USD a pair.

To tell you the truth, I'm happy with out HK contacts with their $8ish USD and cheeper shipping. They might not be the Mono, but there is a good choice of 95% of the top tire brands. That said, if we could source Mono at a similar price landed I would be interested in making a purchase

BTW Gav... whens the next order? and when do you want to try the fuel?
Yeah, you rude bastard - no wonder I don't talk to you.
Actually I wasn't expecting a reply - but hey, the way I read it, ATOMIC is saying $11 per pair plus shipping which he's calculated as $9 worth of freight for each 6 pairs. That works out to US$12.50 per pair, landed here in sunny Oz. The question is: are they 50% better than top tyres, and if so, which ones.

The real issue to me is that we have no way of knowing what they are being compared to. Maybe jwf_frani can help some.
For the record of participants in this thread, we have been using Active tyres (Japanese rubber) for the last two years, I guess, and the only other comparable tyres I've seen are the new Kawahara's. Picard was running the Ufra's for a while and they also looked pretty good.
Without wishing to sound up myself, if the consensus here is that these are a lot better (what ever that means) than GRP's, then they may only be equal to what we are currently running.
Sorry, reading back over that, it sure sounds confusing.

Yes, I want to try your magic fuel blend please. DC's "slightly illegal' blend is good, too.

Yes we should talk about a tyre purchase off line - Picard is needing some badly, he tells me.
Taylor-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 07:57 AM   #183
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by ziggy12345
If you want Mono tuning tyres just buy Sato Seiki from RC online. They are the same tyres

Cheers
Yes, ziggy, I've heard this more than once
Anyone care to confirm or deny?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:07 AM   #184
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by stefan
I'm sure Aaron is going to appreciate this
I'm assuming Aaron is Monotuning, yeah?
If so, and since this is the Monotuning thread, comments regarding the subject would be appropriate, I'd think.
I don't believe Monotuning sees this thread as the Monotuning fan club and he seems to be well able to skillfully handle the hard questions as they arise.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:21 AM   #185
Tech Elite

Yes, but it is not right to advertise sources for similar tires on his thread.
Monotuning is a paying advertiser on this website and therefore has the right to run this thread and promote his products.

It's like going to a battery matcher's thread and tell people, "hey you can get the same batteries form matcher XY"

You think they would like that?
Old 04-21-2004, 08:25 AM   #186
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor-Racing
Yeah, you rude bastard - no wonder I don't talk to you.
Actually I wasn't expecting a reply - but hey, the way I read it, ATOMIC is saying $11 per pair plus shipping which he's calculated as $9 worth of freight for each 6 pairs. That works out to US$12.50 per pair, landed here in sunny Oz. The question is: are they 50% better than top tyres, and if so, which ones.

The real issue to me is that we have no way of knowing what they are being compared to. Maybe jwf_frani can help some.
For the record of participants in this thread, we have been using Active tyres (Japanese rubber) for the last two years, I guess, and the only other comparable tyres I've seen are the new Kawahara's. Picard was running the Ufra's for a while and they also looked pretty good.
Without wishing to sound up myself, if the consensus here is that these are a lot better (what ever that means) than GRP's, then they may only be equal to what we are currently running.
Sorry, reading back over that, it sure sounds confusing.

Yes, I want to try your magic fuel blend please. DC's "slightly illegal' blend is good, too.

Yes we should talk about a tyre purchase off line - Picard is needing some badly, he tells me.
USD 12.50 shipped to OZ is a killer price compared to what you pay for foam tires in U.S. hobby shops. Tires here cost between 17 and 18 bucks a pair.

Atomic is able to sell the Monotuning tires for $10.50 a pair, which is a sensational price for here.

That's cheaper than buying tires from HK (considering the shipping cost) and you don't have to put up with the delays the HK shops have going on lately.

Just my 2 cents.

I'm not sure what foams cost in OZ
Old 04-21-2004, 08:46 AM   #187
Tech Elite

Quote:
Yes, but it is not right to advertise sources for similar tires on his thread.
Monotuning is a paying advertiser on this website and therefore has the right to run this thread and promote his products.

It's like going to a battery matcher's thread and tell people, "hey you can get the same batteries form matcher XY"

You think they would like that?
Yes, I agree.

The tricky thing about forum's though, is that they are in the public glare.
Stuff that might not be said to the supplier's face in other circumstances does qualify here. It's a double edged sword.
From a purely practical perspective as a consumer, ziggy's comments carry some weight, wheather we like it or not. If Monotuning and Sato Seiki tyres are the same, we are unlikely to have it confirmed, but Aaron will know something of what he faces in terms of potentially marketing his product in Oz, for instance.
I'm not trying to be insulting, here, but by the same token, your sponsored position is seen as subtracting from the weight of your opinion in this thread. In other threads, where there is no financial interest to consider, that isn't the case.
Cheers, Gavin
Old 04-21-2004, 09:02 AM   #188
Tech Elite

Quote:
USD 12.50 shipped to OZ is a killer price compared to what you pay for foam tires in U.S. hobby shops. Tires here cost between 17 and 18 bucks a pair.

Atomic is able to sell the Monotuning tires for $10.50 a pair, which is a sensational price for here.

That's cheaper than buying tires from HK (considering the shipping cost) and you don't have to put up with the delays the HK shops have going on lately.

Just my 2 cents.

Foam's retail here for between $18 and $21 roughly, but from HK and Japan, much cheaper - as sparksy mentioned ~$8 per pair plus freight.
You guys obviously have much more choices available to you, right on your doorstep.
Haven't really had any problems here with shipping tyres from Japan, but to Oz it's pretty much all down hill from Japan.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:03 AM   #189
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Too much !

I don't know many people who buy foams over the counter down here, at least not in large amounts especially when you add up the savings made by buying in bulk from OS.
EVOLUTION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2004, 09:05 AM   #190
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Foam's retail here
Beat me to the punch.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:12 AM   #191
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by EVOLUTION
Beat me to the punch.
You wanna buy some cheap tyres, then.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:14 AM   #192
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
You wanna buy some cheap tyres, then.
I get them at a good price at the moment !
Old 04-21-2004, 09:37 AM   #193
Tech Elite

Quote:
I'm not trying to be insulting, here, but by the same token, your sponsored position is seen as subtracting from the weight of your opinion in this thread.
Cheers, Gavin
I understand what you are saying. Just consider, that I had (and still have if I choose to use it) another sponsorship that provides me with inexpensive tires of a different brand. If I was not convinced of the quality and performance of the Monotuning tires, I would not make it a point to spread my opinion here.

I am not a 20 year old, desperately trying to hitch a free ride

I know though, how tough it can be to establish a new brand on the market.

A lot of people are going strictly by what they read in the result lists in the magazines or on the web and they refuse to try something that's new.

Just as an example.

A couple of years ago, before the brand was available in the U.S. I brought a couple of sets of Take Off tires from back home (Germany). I ran those tires locally and had a serious advantage over the guys that were running proline S3's and Yokomo tires, which were the hot ticket at the time.

When I had to go to Orange County on a b-trip, I took my stuff to race at SoCal Raceway, where I met with a buddy, who was a magazine writer at the time.
I ran a Yokomo Mr4Tc at the time and I had trouble finding a decent setup for that on of a kind indoor asphalt track. So, we went over to Barry Baker who was also running Yokomo at the time and asked for advice.

First thing he told me, was to take those shitty tires off (he had never heard of Take Off before). The guys made fun of me too: 'Take Off? Your trying to get airborne?"

Later, I let him drive my car (Take Off's still on) and when he came back from the track, he asked me very specifically where i got those screwball tires :-))

Today, Take Off is recognized as THE tire brand all over the world and their tires are used as control tire at about every big event.

Bottomline of what I'm trying to say is that I don't desperately try to push a product because I'll get a deal on it or even for free.

I usually only speak for stuff that I personally like and use.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:58 AM   #194
Tech Elite

Yep, understood and the frankness is appreciated.
For what it's worth I'm also some distance from 20 or even 40, if that's any guide to my sensability.

But I'm curious as to how you might hold two sponserships for tyres concurrently. One or other of the sponsers would have to be unhappy about that situation, I'd have thought.

And here's the tough question in a public forum.
Were the previous tyres better tyres or are the Mono's a better deal?
. . . see what I mean?
Old 04-21-2004, 11:30 AM   #195
Tech Elite

No biggie.

It's easy, one of the company that is helping me out is, amongst a lot of other things, also selling tires. They are not a specific tire company, they got almost everything you could ever need for R/C racing (hint, hint, check my signature )

For your second question. I still do have a considerable amount of "the other brand" (GRP) and I ran back to back tests, which made me clearly tend towards the Mono tire.

Here is a little background. Last summer, I got my hands on a bunch of Speedmind tires. After the first race, I was totally sold on them. I used up what I had, but after that found them hard to get in th U.S., at least where I live.

A few people in my area also tried the Speedminds and also liked them a lot.

Now, there are very persistant rumors, that the rubber on the Mono tires is the same than the Speedmind's. I don't know if they really are, but I do know that they show the same great handling and consitency than the Speedminds.

Long story short, IMHO, the Mono tire is better than the GRP brand I ran before.