R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 05-03-2004, 04:07 AM   #106
Tech Master

Default turbo for RC and nitrous for RC....

good discussion in this thread

even got one picture of the No2 ....cool!

thanks to phatkat!!

mop
mop_iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2004, 11:24 AM   #107
Tech Master

Default N02 in RC

have anyone seen NITROS in RC cars?

i have only seen the cartridge but never seen how they assemble it though.

mop
Old 05-17-2004, 08:25 AM   #108
Tech Master

Default i dunno whether this one is NO2

fastharry got HPI R40.

on his R40 i saw this

i have asked him.... we will wait for his answer.

mop
Old 05-31-2004, 10:29 PM   #109
Tech Master

Exclamation NEW TURBO CHARGER on its wayy!!!

i saw this GROOVY turbo charger... keep an eye ya!

RC car- True Turbocharger

mop
Old 06-01-2004, 10:15 AM   #110
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to 1BadTransam

Hate to break it to you guys, but the car with all the intercooler lines in that pic is just for looks... the turbo is a fake, they need to be way bigger than that thing to work. also, without a water supply for an air to water intercooler, the intercooler wont work either. an Air to air intercooler (which is used on most real cars) is not efficient enough to be used on such a small scale. I even had a tough time making the exhaust turbine work, i ended up designing one specially for the little turbo. a scaled down turbine from a real car will not work. the compressor, that was easy. i have compressors from .75psi to 4psi. I have only ran the 3 and 4 psi comprssors on the bench, i dont think the motor could take that much. the 1psi is great and the 2 psi is sickening powerful.

as for what has been said about an exhaust turbine not working because of the ports and the exhaust pulse. thats not the case.

the reasons why:

#1. 2 stroke exhaust does not pulse back on its own, if it did, we wouldnt need tuned pipes to pulse it for them. therefore, a turbine will turn. the exhaust just comes 2 inches straight out the turbine with no BS expansion chamber. it sounds real wicked, i must say.

#2. Even though the exhaust port is open more than 50% of the time the intake is open, the turbine in the exaust, being the restriction that it is, helps promote boost and fuel economy. If the engine was loosing all the boost out of the port, the boost gauge would not read anything, but it does.

#3. basically superchargers Do not work on a open port 2 stroke, because of the before mentioned port timing. i have ran this as a supercharger, and it made very little difference, except for how much fuel it burned, couldnt make a standard tc3 nitro tank last for more than 3 minutes.

#4. Fuel mileage with the turbine driven turbocharger is not as good as N/A operation, but the difference is because of the extra volume of air, and as you guys should know, more air + more fuel = more power.

Running this setup takes more than just boosted air pressure, there is other things that make the fuel system work that i am not mentioning. The tuning (for me) was a nightmare. now that i got it figured out, it takes me about 5 minutes to tune a carb for this setup, and its easy to explain.

thats enough techno-babble for now, i got to get back to work.

Jim
1BadTransam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 10:28 AM   #111
Tech Initiate

by the way, here is a full size turbo on a MERCURY 2.4L outboard motor... same setup as our little motors, no valves, open port exhaust, and through-crankshaft induction. note that the carbs are at the front of the motor, and the heads/exhaust chest is at the rear.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:48 PM   #112
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BadTransam
by the way, here is a full size turbo on a MERCURY 2.4L outboard motor... same setup as our little motors, no valves, open port exhaust, and through-crankshaft induction. note that the carbs are at the front of the motor, and the heads/exhaust chest is at the rear.

1BadTransam....

i am speechless.....

i hope you will come out EXCELLENT with the TURBO CHARGER of yours dude!!!!

i will always go to your thread to keep an eye on the on-going process of your TURBOCHARGE thingie.... WAY COOL!

do you have any website?

i bet ORANGBALIGILA will be more GILA....
j/k bro....

mop

Last edited by mop_iko; 06-01-2004 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:06 PM   #113
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to orangbaligila

quoted from previous post :

#4. Fuel mileage with the turbine driven turbocharger is not as good as N/A operation, but the difference is because of the extra volume of air, and as you guys should know, more air + more fuel = more power.

I like this one,... been my motto for forced induction,... it's not the pressure increase, it's the extra mixture

if we can eleminate the extra compression (thus eleminates the heat problem),.. wow,... what a beautiful world we have,... extra displacement without tampering with size of the block,...

I believe the first reason why people had turbo or blower was to increase the available mixture per combustion,... the hike in compression (and temp, which require them to add intercooler, better cooling method, tougher internal parts, etc) was just a side effect,...

I'm getting more "gila"?! can't do that man, it's at the peak level 'oredy,... need to add forced induction to my brain (a turbine to pump more blood, powered by my "exhaust gas", hehe) in order to do so,...

I like his info,.. informative and constructive,... but 1 question,... why no-one turbocharged a 4-stroke model engines yet?!
Old 06-01-2004, 09:24 PM   #114
Tech Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to orangbaligila
Default wheeeeeeeeiiiiii,,.......... tschssssssss,.......... warble,...warble,... pop,.. crac

oh btw,.. you can register my name at the top of your pre-order list,.... I'd love to have it with the working wastegate (and prolly a blow-off valve )

have you tried to use it on a 4 stroker? what I wanted was : to recreate my Galant into 1/10 or superten or 1/8 scale as close as possible , currently working on a gearbox and axles for a 4WD (FWD based) Kyosho FW05R,... and yes,.. the engine will be front-mounted,... I just wish the mechanic working on it will be able to create an enclosed gearbox (oil-filled) for it (currently he's having problem as the parts and space are too small ) if he could do it, I'll have the first dog-drive 3 speed gearbox on a model car ,.. not expecting too much, but hey,... if it's possible, how happy can a lad be?!

so, your turbo system (and mybe intercooler) will fit just nice for it
Old 06-01-2004, 09:47 PM   #115
Tech Initiate

... thanks for the kind comments guys. I am working on a website as we speak. i should have more screen shots and MAYBE a video, if i can find the direct cable for this digi vid camera of mine.

as for why no one else has done it, i dont think the big companys want to fool with it, to much engineering for to little return of money. on the other hand, most people that would want to do it, don't have the engineering experience or the money and tooling experience to do it by theirselves. I will be doing it to a fourstroke, the only four i have now is an OS FS .90, which i plan on converting to boat duty and running the turbo out the back stealth like. The 1st priority is the little stuff, once the little stuff is done, the big stuff will be no sweat.

In designing this thing, it is all me. Yes, the compressor impeller is similar, and the "hair dryer" shape looks the same. but other than that, i had to do all the engineering myself in my spare time. I Model parts, do calculations, and work with FEA all day, it is the last thing i want to do when i get home.

Besides design, i also own the CNC machine, machine the parts, get the material, test the material, test the part, and test the whole assembly before it even goes near a car. its tough.

Have you ever spun a Non-ceramic bearing with 150 psi of compressed air? yeah, the friggin thing explodes. luckly i knew what could happen, so i did it inside of a sandblasting booth for the safety. its all in the name of triple digit speeds...

jim
Old 06-03-2004, 03:10 AM   #116
Tech Rookie

As far as i understand it the idea behind FI on a 2 stroke is to increase the cylinders abilty to scavenge with the goal being the charge gets blown straight through. the only way this works is with correct turbullence in the cylinder to allow the forced air fuel charge to swirl and evacuate allowing a greater fresh charge to be inducted.
nitrodrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 04:23 AM   #117
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by 1BadTransam
... thanks for the kind comments guys. I am working on a website as we speak. i should have more screen shots and MAYBE a video, if i can find the direct cable for this digi vid camera of mine.

as for why no one else has done it, i dont think the big companys want to fool with it, to much engineering for to little return of money. on the other hand, most people that would want to do it, don't have the engineering experience or the money and tooling experience to do it by theirselves. I will be doing it to a fourstroke, the only four i have now is an OS FS .90, which i plan on converting to boat duty and running the turbo out the back stealth like. The 1st priority is the little stuff, once the little stuff is done, the big stuff will be no sweat.

In designing this thing, it is all me. Yes, the compressor impeller is similar, and the "hair dryer" shape looks the same. but other than that, i had to do all the engineering myself in my spare time. I Model parts, do calculations, and work with FEA all day, it is the last thing i want to do when i get home.

Besides design, i also own the CNC machine, machine the parts, get the material, test the material, test the part, and test the whole assembly before it even goes near a car. its tough.

Have you ever spun a Non-ceramic bearing with 150 psi of compressed air? yeah, the friggin thing explodes. luckly i knew what could happen, so i did it inside of a sandblasting booth for the safety. its all in the name of triple digit speeds...

jim
Jim, you have PM from me ...
Old 06-23-2004, 10:20 AM   #118
Tech Master

Default this is WAY COOL.....

got this from HPI website...

i cant find any description about this.... but hey... what the heck...

a different kind of EXTREME MOD...

WHAT HPI said is:
Quote:
Nitro 2 with a supercharger (don't ask us if it works!)

mop

Old 06-24-2004, 10:29 PM   #119
Tech Fanatic

Default Hmmmmmm!!

Man I just don't see it! But I'm rooting for you and hope you can pul it off . I useto do a lot of super charging on late model Vettes . If I went over 6 or 7 lbs. of boost I had to use microfuelers and even water injection with a map sensor to controll it .In this months celeberty rides one of the cars i did is on page 94. It had NOS too that was switched at WOT shutting the water down and keeping the charge cool.I did turbos too but cant see justifyeng doing it to a 2 cycle. To much to battle for the gain IE Weight and heat but I am pulling for you... good luck Ya never know!!! Well rats I tryed to show it but it said it was too big
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2004, 04:51 AM   #120
Tech Master

Default Re: Hmmmmmm!!

Quote:
Originally posted by HELLION
Man I just don't see it! But I'm rooting for you and hope you can pul it off .
thanks hellion for your 'trouble' to find those info about the above PIC.

Quote:

I useto do a lot of super charging on late model Vettes . If I went over 6 or 7 lbs. of boost I had to use microfuelers and even water injection with a map sensor to controll it .
do u mean 1:1 car or 1:10 car?

Quote:
In this months celeberty rides one of the cars i did is on page 94. It had NOS too that was switched at WOT shutting the water down and keeping the charge cool.
do u have the link to the magazines website?

Quote:
Well rats I tryed to show it but it said it was too big
change the resolution to 72dpi with 1000pixel for the image width and repost the picture. we would like to see....

mop