Need help! Steering servo related...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need help! Steering servo related...

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Need help! Steering servo related...

Ok so I had called HPI to send me a new steering servo...

I just got it in, its a Hot Bodies servro (the service rep. stated that its the same one used in my car) My car is an HPI RS4 3 Evo

So I just finished installing it...As soon as I turn the controler on and the servo, the wheels automatically turn all the way to the left and continue to stay turning left...So I quickly turn the car off..

Why is it doing this? Can someone help me out here? Thanks guys.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RoyalAirness29
Ok so I had called HPI to send me a new steering servo...

I just got it in, its a Hot Bodies servro (the service rep. stated that its the same one used in my car) My car is an HPI RS4 3 Evo

So I just finished installing it...As soon as I turn the controler on and the servo, the wheels automatically turn all the way to the left and continue to stay turning left...So I quickly turn the car off..

Why is it doing this? Can someone help me out here? Thanks guys.
You have to remove the servo horn (has 1 screw in it and goes over the gear that sticks out) and then turn the servo on and let it center up then put the horn back on with the wheels as close to straight as you can get them. Hope this helps
Old 09-22-2009, 09:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by kidsid99
You have to remove the servo horn (has 1 screw in it and goes over the gear that sticks out) and then turn the servo on and let it center up then put the horn back on with the wheels as close to straight as you can get them. Hope this helps
You, sir, are a genius! I applaud you! Thanks a lot bro.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Oh...btw...I had to go on rcplanet.com and type in "servo horn" just to see what that piece was before i did what you had said...

Man Im such a noob. honestly, this is prob. the sickest RC forum out there. You guys are hella nice and seem to want to help others a lot.

Not a lot of forums are like you guys. Kudos for you gentlemen...and women...If there are any (looks around)
Old 09-22-2009, 10:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Please don't forget we had to learn too. Glad I could help though. If you have any other questions put them out here or use the search. People on here will help.
Old 09-23-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Oh...btw...I had to go on rcplanet.com and type in "servo horn" just to see what that piece was before i did what you had said...

Man Im such a noob. honestly, this is prob. the sickest RC forum out there. You guys are hella nice and seem to want to help others a lot.

Not a lot of forums are like you guys. Kudos for you gentlemen...and women...If there are any (looks around)
Give it a couple of weeks...then we'll get tired of you and start to ignore you..... j/k

Keep the questions coming we love to help but as kidsid99 said...learn to use the search engine on the forum to find similar questions, posts or related issues or inquiries. This helps the Admins by saving space. I'm sure by now you've seen at least a dozen threads similar to yours or at least dealing with your car.

We like it when you give us tough questions.....like "hey I found this old RC car in my great grand dad's attic...anyone know what it is?"....
Old 09-23-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Rookie

Ok guys...Im this close l l to giving up on this RC hobby..

Heres the deal....after a crash my car started steering to the left...

Problems that were notifiable:
-Broken rear suspension arm
-I replaced one of the pieces that changes my camber degree in an earlier crash...So than I was running on two diff. degree set-ups so I made them both the same....
-Missing servo savers
-An finally took it to a RC Tech and he said it was my steering servo

Now!....I replaced EVERYTHING listed above...I just put in my new steering servo...Now when I give it the test to see if it steers straight after I gun it...

IT STILL STEERS LEFT!!! What the eff man!! Im seriously gonna effin bash this thing!
Old 09-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

-I replaced one of the pieces that changes my camber degree in an earlier crash...So than I was running on two diff. degree set-ups so I made them both the same....
-Missing servo savers

Now!....I replaced EVERYTHING listed above...I just put in my new steering servo...Now when I give it the test to see if it steers straight after I gun it...

IT STILL STEERS LEFT!!! What the eff man!! Im seriously gonna effin bash this thing!
Could be a number of things. Did you check the hinge pin when you replaced the arm? Also when the servo was replaced are the wheels totally centered? If not then it will pull to whichever side that it favors if not totally straight. Check and make sure nothing it tight and binding. Everything must move freely. If you wrecked it and had to replace the parts you listed, itreally needs to be put on a setup board and have all the alignment reset. Toe, ride height, droop and camber. If it is pulling to one side either it is not as straight as you think or something is binding. You need to find out which. Is there anyone that is near you that has the tools to set your car up? If so let them help you find out what the problem is. That is the only drawback to asking on the internet. We can tell you what to look for but if you don't know how exactly or don't have the right tools, the answers only get you close.

You can also adjust it a small amount on the trim on your transmitter. It should have a trim switch/button that will move the steering a small amount from one side to the other. Hope this helps! Good luck, you are on the right track.
Old 09-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

-Missing servo savers

Put the servo horn back on 'straight' on the servo gear. Then w/your radio go to the SUB TRIM for the Steering and adjust it while driving the car until it goes straight.

As far s your camber adjustments and what not ... if it is off then check other links to see if they have been pushed in. Just give the car a good look over.

Try to post some good pictures of what you are referring to.

Old 09-23-2009, 11:20 PM
Tech Rookie

When I drive the car slow, its fine...It goes straight...

As soon as I give it more throttle the car just flies to the left. I have no choice but take it to my hobby shop an see wtf is wrong with this s@#$ box.

Man it gets me so frustrated not knowing what the problem is. I did the whole pull apart the horn and set it straight and it still doesnt work.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:31 PM
Tech Lord

Check the tires. A loos tire can cause this.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Tires are screwed in nice n snug. Not loose at all.

Ah I know Im a nub, but can a worn out tire cause this? Like if the inside of the tread is wearing out?

I just wanna fix this cot damn problem already, I miss playing with this thing.
Old 09-26-2009, 07:53 PM
kmh
Tech Addict

Sounds like you may have striped the gears on the servo horn and or the servo itself. Check the plastic washer that sometimes go between the horn and the servo.