R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-07-2004, 07:36 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default G4 vs. V-one RR evo vs. FW-05R

Taking into consideration that: Parts availability is equal for all of these, I want it for bashing and racing at a local track, and that maintenace and durability count( I only have experience with one other 1/8 buggy) which would you say from these cars, or maybe some other car, would be best for me? Thanks.
Prozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 07:48 PM   #2
Tech Regular

As far as bashing I wouldn't use any of those three. For racing I'd pick the G4 (of course, I have one) as it is probably the best pure racer of the three.

If you wanted only one car to handle both duties I'd pick the NTC3. It will do exceptionally well at both duties, parts are available everywhere and are relatively cheap.
KMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 08:01 PM   #3
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

As far as being a pure race car, the VoneRR Evo and the FW05R are as pure, if not purer than the G4. The VoneRREvo has a racing pedigree of 3-4 years back, when the first VoneR was first released. So in other words it has the most development of the 3, and it will need the least amount of hop-ups, if any.

All 3 of them are great race cars, but I woulnt use any of them to bash. I dont use any of my racecars outside a proper racetrack.

Maintenace. I have never owned any of these, but I have had a NTC3, and if the FW05R is anything like the NTC3 it will be the easier to maintain.
nitrodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 08:10 PM   #4
Tech Addict

Send a message via AIM to icon

if you are running your car in conditions such as parking lots and such where there are minor imperfection and not very clean, a FW05 may prove to be easier to maintain than a belt driven car. personally i like the layout of belt driven cars more because they are more balanced IMO and no inherent torque steer.
icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 08:50 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Surely, you're kidding. Enough people have proven that the G4, box stock, can punish most other cars in equal hands. Show me another car that has as low of a CG and as high speed of steering as the G4. Look at qualifying & race results worldwide since the G4 came out. Enough said.

BTW, just because a car has been developed over several years doesn't make it more of a race car. The G4 started from a clean sheet and was a world class racer from Day 1 (well, except for the undersized fuel tank). Time of development has nothing to do with how pure of a racer it is.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:03 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Being the reflex was a kyosho clone, I wonder where the technology and experience came from to build that pure breed G-4. I would have to say though all three cars are different they still share some of the same racing genes.

My 2 cents
coldeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:05 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by coldeye
Being the reflex was a kyosho clone, I wonder where the technology and experience came from to build that pure breed G-4. I would have to say though all three cars are different they still share some of the same racing genes.

My 2 cents
From Josh Cyrul!
Old 02-07-2004, 10:17 PM   #8
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to rod_b

And wasn't he driving a Reflex (which is a V1R in disguise) before the G4? Or did he just design the car from scratch without ever driving a different car before hand?
rod_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:12 PM   #9
Tech Initiate

Quote:
Originally posted by rod_b
And wasn't he driving a Reflex (which is a V1R in disguise) before the G4? Or did he just design the car from scratch without ever driving a different car before hand?
I doubt many cars on the market today or that will be coming out will be 100% from scratch. I mean, you can take the "from scratch" idea to the extreme and question him if he invented the wheel. Best thing to do when you don't have any clear defined standards is the compare several things around it. In this case, compare new models coming out. Just how much do they borrow from models already on the market? Even then, those difference may be arbitrary.
Prozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:19 PM   #10
Tech Champion

I didnt mean to say that the G4 coulnt compete with the other cars, but you did make it sound like it was far above the other 2. They are all capable of winning any race, any time, any where.

Time of development has a lot to do with how good a car is IMHO. Sure, the G4 is a great car out of the box, and it has been design to be as good as the others. But that said, a car that has has more development has less potential for having gremlins that need to be ironed out over time. For example, like you said, the tank being undersize, and lets not forget the steering that does not work ( I know about this pretty good, my friend has one and he always has problems).

I hope you dont take this the wrong way, it is in no way an attack on the G4, i have seen it with my own eyes, it works great. But its not far above the other 2 cars, or any other car for that matter. All current cars are very well matched up.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:21 PM   #11
Tech Addict

just pick the one you like, you can never get an answer out of this kind of question
Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 11:27 PM   #12
Tech Champion

What Fire said. I dont have any of these cars, so Im not biased. Im just giving my 2cs
Old 02-07-2004, 11:50 PM   #13
B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

the fw05R has an different (improved) suspension (front, not sure about the rear) geometry compared to the EVolution.

Some people who have driven both cars feel that the 05 is more responsive and can carry more speed into corners, that may be due to its chassis layout..
the CG on the 05 is also much lower than the EVO

i have heard that many Kyosho factory drivers have now switched to the 05.

I would choose the 05 over the evolution. however, both are great in different ways.

I would narrow the choice down to the 05 and the G4
but thats just me..

if I have to choose one? I choose 05.
B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 08:52 PM   #14
Tech Adept

GT4 guys.
I think NTC3 has lower CG than all other cars.
ckh1328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 11:21 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to nickko

I think so, but much wider than the G4.
nickko is offline   Reply With Quote