R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-28-2009, 07:46 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastharryDOTcom View Post
...... A car designed for foams wont run great on rubber and a rubber tire car wont run best on foams.
This is not quite true. Here in Dallas, we had a club track that ran in a concrete parking lot. All of us ran rubber tires on our Mugen, Serpent, and Kyosho nitro cars (Xray was not out before the track stopped running) and we hooked up just fine. All of those cars are designed for foam tires but if you find the right rubber compounds, those same "foam" cars hook up just fine. The same was true for some of the "foam only" electric chassis cars. Many of the guys made the adjustments and their "foam only" chassis worked great with rubber tires on the concrete. It is all about what adjustments you make in order to get the car to work.
JLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:51 AM   #17
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLock View Post
This is not quite true. Here in Dallas, we had a club track that ran in a concrete parking lot. All of us ran rubber tires on our Mugen, Serpent, and Kyosho nitro cars (Xray was not out before the track stopped running) and we hooked up just fine. All of those cars are designed for foam tires but if you find the right rubber compounds, those same "foam" cars hook up just fine. The same was true for some of the "foam only" electric chassis cars. Many of the guys made the adjustments and their "foam only" chassis worked great with rubber tires on the concrete. It is all about what adjustments you make in order to get the car to work.

Hi JLOCK..I agree. I was thinking more in line with the OP's post and was referring to average street use in an unblown off environment. And you are right, all the cars will hook up fine with a few camber adjustments, but a rubber tire on a "foam" car, on a treated track, will not run as well if it were using the foamies it was designed to use. And on a paved typical street, the rubber tires on a foam designed car will sometimes run worse also, as the car won't have enough chassis roll to hook up.

And thats all I was trying to bring up.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:05 PM   #18
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by authorjim View Post
I really want to thank all of you for all the input. This post set me back a bit, not because it was not to the point. It was exactly to the point. It is making think and reevaluate.

I will have to mull this over.

Anybody buy from RC hobbies, are they okay?

Jim
Where are you located Jim?

www.Towerhobbies.com is in the Mid-West and has most, not all, popular brands. good place to get tools and accessories.

www.Amainhobbies.com is on the West cost. Good prices and fast shipping, same as above.

www.Brooklynhobbies.com, www.Brucknerhobbies.com and www.Nitrohouse.com are all on the East coast and tend to still carry some of the olders cars as well as the new.

Hope these help to get you started
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:55 PM   #19
Tech Apprentice

Default Best 1/10th Nitro car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo83 View Post
Where are you located Jim?

www.Towerhobbies.com is in the Mid-West and has most, not all, popular brands. good place to get tools and accessories.

www.Amainhobbies.com is on the West cost. Good prices and fast shipping, same as above.

www.Brooklynhobbies.com, www.Brucknerhobbies.com and www.Nitrohouse.com are all on the East coast and tend to still carry some of the olders cars as well as the new.

Hope these help to get you started
I am located here on Long Island. We sometimes race/ bash at Mitchell field in Garden City. I have been trying to get some people together for some club racing in the unused(on weekends) parking lot. Making some progress with the 1/8 , 1/10 nitro and a few race 1/10 electrics. We usually meet saturday and or sunday afternoon.

I have bought alot of stuff from all the hobby shops that you mentioned, but I don' t believe they have the Team Magic G4S.

Thanks
Jim
authorjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #20
Tech Regular

Quote:
I am located here on Long Island. We sometimes race/ bash at Mitchell field in Garden City. I have been trying to get some people together for some club racing in the unused(on weekends) parking lot. Making some progress with the 1/8 , 1/10 nitro and a few race 1/10 electrics. We usually meet saturday and or sunday afternoon.

I have bought alot of stuff from all the hobby shops that you mentioned, but I don' t believe they have the Team Magic G4S.

Thanks
Jim
No...go to www.wolfhobbies.com if that is the car you want to get.
Old 09-30-2009, 09:44 PM   #21
Tech Apprentice

Default Best 1/10 Nitro RTR

Quote:
No...go to www.wolfhobbies.com if that is the car you want to get.

Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at Wolf Hobbies and they are out of that model. They have the kit version, but I'm not ready for that right now.

I did find it somewhere else. It was RC shopping. First time with an overseas supplier, hope i didn't make a mistake

Jim
Old 10-01-2009, 09:40 AM   #22
Tech Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I looked at Wolf Hobbies and they are out of that model. They have the kit version, but I'm not ready for that right now.

I did find it somewhere else. It was RC shopping. First time with an overseas supplier, hope i didn't make a mistake

Jim
hahah...I was just gonna suggest them next. I just bought the Hard travel bag from them lastnight
Old 10-02-2009, 07:30 PM   #23
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Smile

Mate,

I recommend the Kyosho V one series, something like the V one s3 they come with a strong .15 engine that is great for starting out.

And once you are ready they are easily upgraded to the RRR
Reidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 05:39 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Quote:

Jim
no you didnt make a mistake they are a reputable bunch rc shopping and as for the product team magic has the best rtr on the market, this was my first onroad nitro and I ended up having it fully upgraded to the rs model, with the right engine its very fast.
have fun with it.
cheers
XRAY*****PRO-LINE*****HUDY*****
-----FUTABA-----NOVAROSSI-----
aussies1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #25
Tech Apprentice

Default Best On Road Nitro car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies1129 View Post
no you didnt make a mistake they are a reputable bunch rc shopping and as for the product team magic has the best rtr on the market, this was my first onroad nitro and I ended up having it fully upgraded to the rs model, with the right engine its very fast.
have fun with it.
cheers
Thanks to all for all the advice, Hope I got the Team magic in time to break it in and use it before it gets cold here in NY.

What tires are best for parking lot club racing.

How is the stock motor in that car and if I was going to upgrade it over the winter, what should i be looking at and why?

Jim
Old 10-05-2009, 04:33 PM   #26
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

if youre looking for a great rtr nitro, pick up a team associated nitro tc3.BOX STOCK it came in second place behind an xray nt1 and a bunch of other top dollar chassis in the field. the guy has been in the hobby for awhile and the whole point of using the tc3 is to prove that "rtr/basic" cars can still kick ass! all of his time was spent setting up the car. cleaning bearings, andmaking sure it had the right set up.

with that said, go with whatever your LHS carries parts for.
Double D Donuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 02:34 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Default which car is better rant

Just to 1-up these whole which car is better threads. They really should be titled "Which car shouldn't I buy" or "Which car is a piece of crap and why?"

I mean really when you look at a car you should be looking for what is good for you and your budget and what you plan to do with it.

If you've never owned an RC car in you life...then head on down to Radio-shack and get one of their $49.99 off the shelf and have at it!

If you have played around with your buddy's nitro car that once belonged to his dad or granddad and know you want a nitro of your own, to drag race and do donuts with in the Wal-Mart parking lots, but don't know where to start then almost any of the brand name RTR's with be satisfactory.

Now, if you have at least a year of the latter under you belt or you were a weekend racer that has been away from the hobby for awhile and want to get back into more seriously, then you move up to "kit cars". These car are not meant for parking lot bashing(Can you go hard up and down the neighborhood streets? Sure. Can you do mad donuts in the parking lots at 12 at night? Be my guest but that's not what the manufacture intended and you could have spent less money and achieved the same for less) These cars were meant to be raced competetively on prepped tracks against other similar cars. Setup to the type of track and driver plays a big part with these cars. That is why the car are not pre-assemble to begin with. Then the engine you put in it and how well its tuned come into play. Last but most importantly is the driver. As noted in this very thread and many more like it before...if you can't drive, then you can't drive and it doesn't matter what car you buy.....You still can't drive! On the other side of the coin.....let's take anyone of the top 5 drivers from any of the world/National championship races, some of whice frequent this very forum once in a while. These guys can drive a brick and win if its set up right!

So, I say the people asking the question and the those of you anwsering. Lets stop acting like fan boys and be true to the hobby. Its all about building and learning how to make what you have preform at its best. Then improvign your own abilities. Some cars have distinct advantages in one area and weakness in other, howerver they are pretty much the same. How many time have we looked at two differnt brand cars and thought they look almost identical to one another. Its not until you build and set teh cars up that you notice the subtle differneces. Yet if that were not true then we'd wouldn't see new cars every year. You guys with verson 4 or 5 of you car know what I'm talking about. Also if the manufactor didn't keep pushing to improve their product they may lose their share of the market to their competition and the favor of third-party manufactors that support their cars.

So, in conclusion I just say point out to the new guys which cars have steadily proven to have por craftmanship, manuels, or just support and steer them away from those cars. Instead of telling them car x, y, or z is the best. And for heavan sakes...stop telling people that Car X is the best because it won the national. We......err most of us know by now that is the driver, setup, and some luck that make the car a winner.

Sorry if I stomped all over you fun, but I had to get that off my chest.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:30 AM   #28
Tech Apprentice

Default I agree, but

Quote:
Just to 1-up these whole which car is better threads. They really should be titled "Which car shouldn't I buy" or "Which car is a piece of crap and why?"

I mean really when you look at a car you should be looking for what is good for you and your budget and what you plan to do with it.

If you've never owned an RC car in you life...then head on down to Radio-shack and get one of their $49.99 off the shelf and have at it!

If you have played around with your buddy's nitro car that once belonged to his dad or granddad and know you want a nitro of your own, to drag race and do donuts with in the Wal-Mart parking lots, but don't know where to start then almost any of the brand name RTR's with be satisfactory.

Now, if you have at least a year of the latter under you belt or you were a weekend racer that has been away from the hobby for awhile and want to get back into more seriously, then you move up to "kit cars". These car are not meant for parking lot bashing(Can you go hard up and down the neighborhood streets? Sure. Can you do mad donuts in the parking lots at 12 at night? Be my guest but that's not what the manufacture intended and you could have spent less money and achieved the same for less) These cars were meant to be raced competetively on prepped tracks against other similar cars. Setup to the type of track and driver plays a big part with these cars. That is why the car are not pre-assemble to begin with. Then the engine you put in it and how well its tuned come into play. Last but most importantly is the driver. As noted in this very thread and many more like it before...if you can't drive, then you can't drive and it doesn't matter what car you buy.....You still can't drive! On the other side of the coin.....let's take anyone of the top 5 drivers from any of the world/National championship races, some of whice frequent this very forum once in a while. These guys can drive a brick and win if its set up right!

So, I say the people asking the question and the those of you anwsering. Lets stop acting like fan boys and be true to the hobby. Its all about building and learning how to make what you have preform at its best. Then improvign your own abilities. Some cars have distinct advantages in one area and weakness in other, howerver they are pretty much the same. How many time have we looked at two differnt brand cars and thought they look almost identical to one another. Its not until you build and set teh cars up that you notice the subtle differneces. Yet if that were not true then we'd wouldn't see new cars every year. You guys with verson 4 or 5 of you car know what I'm talking about. Also if the manufactor didn't keep pushing to improve their product they may lose their share of the market to their competition and the favor of third-party manufactors that support their cars.

So, in conclusion I just say point out to the new guys which cars have steadily proven to have por craftmanship, manuels, or just support and steer them away from those cars. Instead of telling them car x, y, or z is the best. And for heavan sakes...stop telling people that Car X is the best because it won the national. We......err most of us know by now that is the driver, setup, and some luck that make the car a winner.

Sorry if I stomped all over you fun, but I had to get that off my chest.
Boy that was a thread killer.

Of course in the final analysis you are right, but, and it's a big but. People that ask these questions come from all levels of experience and final goals. Most I believe ask the question when they have little experience with a particular class of RC operation.
What most are looking for is the particular piece of info that will help make their decision. When we talk about the top brands and the pro chassis, of course the winner on a national level is based mostly on their degree of prep, their own talents and some luck.

My reason for asking the question is as follows. I know I will never race at a national level, but I would at some point like to be competitive at a local level with other racers and I don't like cars that are just not well engineered. The cheaper cars have cost cutting that would make me struggle to upgrade them. I like to start off with a good car that can be upgraded and has great forum support.
Another person may just want to have fun and when someone with alot more knowledge tells them that the car is durable, fast out of the box and then points out the weak points they can make an informed decision.

Basde on all the info I recieved here and in other areas I concluded that the team magic rtr was about as good as you can get without going to a pro kit. I can have fun and with minor tweaks be competitive at a local level. I can learn gradually by upgrading gears, shocks, tires, chassis adjustments etc.

Then for me i will be ready for the pro kits.

I know that these discussions are tiresome to seasoned people that know all this stuff, but it excites newbies and gives us base info for learning more.

I and I'm sure all the rest of us appreciate the help so later on we can turn around and help someone else.

Thanks again for your thoughtful and on the mark observations. It does help to become grounded with reality.

Jim
Old 10-18-2009, 08:50 AM   #29
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Hi Jim,
buy the car that can fit into your budget....that you feel comfortable to begin with..i had tc3, hpi evo, k car v1 RRR, now serpent...
use your money wisely and practice practice practice
if u do bashing only.....anyone is cool
1/2 race and bash....buy something better
full race..u really need something reliable....
btw, wolfhobbies-they are located in sacramento ca....
xxx123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:45 PM   #30
Tech Adept

I suggest the Team Magic G4JR RTR