R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 02-03-2004, 04:46 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Exclamation Venom failsafe...failing???

I am wondering if anyone else is having these problems with thier newer style (small) venom failsafe-

I have been using a venom failsafe for a few weeks along with an airtronics M8 27mhz FM radio. The current throttle servo I am using is a airtronics standard. After a few min. of running, the throttle servo will cut-out. By that I mean that the servo gets no power at all (I can turn the servo with my hand as if it were unplugged) The failsafe unit's light is also out as if there is no power at all on channel 2... This has happened several times in the past and I initially thought it was the servo's problem but that is ruled out since I bought a brand new servo for it. I have also had the failsafe activate while the RX/TX batteries are fully charged several times. When the batteries are actually low the failsafe will not return to the preset position, instead it will pulsate the throttle/brake when it reaches the high and low endpoints. All of these problems occur after a few min. of running the servos, at times it happens so frequently I can replicate the problem in just a few seconds of moving the servos. After I bought the replacement airtronics servo all of the problems ceased for a while, but started happening again today as I was on the 3rd tank of breaking in a new novarossi... and of course the servo went wide open and over-reved the motor causing it to stall. I guess you cant go wrong with a TRS

Thanks in adv.
Turbo9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 04:53 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Id also like to mention that I swapped crystal sets too...and the problems still occured.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:38 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Johnnytc3

i think the venom fail safe doesn not work with airtronics, you might want to check and verify that.
Johnnytc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 05:58 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Johnny, thats what I was thinking too... but I don't recall anything but the black dynamite failsafe not being compatable with the M8. I was using a futaba throttle servo the 1st time it occured...but I did use the same airtronics RX (with Z-connectors).
Old 02-03-2004, 06:35 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have this problem too!! I am using the MX3 tx. I initially thought it was a glitch and cause my car to run all over the track or brake erratically. This was happening for some time and I couldnt solve the problem so I took out the venom fail safe and walla, no more erratic servo movement.
spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 07:31 PM   #6
sup
Tech Addict

im not sure.. but i think the m8 has abs and if it does, it does not need a failsafe anymore. not sure though coz i dont own an airtronics m8. peace
sup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2004, 08:34 PM   #7
Tech Fanatic

I guess im gonna have to rig up the ol' trusty TRS until I can get my hands on a blue Dynamite M8 failsafe.
Old 02-05-2004, 11:22 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

If it was one of the first small ones and you are using futaba style plugs with the tab down one side this can cause damage to a component on the board if you don't trim the tab as per the additional instruction sheet.

If it is one of the second generation smaller ones this isn't a problem as the component has been moved. You can check this by carefully opening the case and there is a small component on top of the board in line with the edge of where the tab would go in, if it has been broken off the board then this is your problem.

The symptoms you describe don't sound like that problem though as you say it does work some of the time and if you break that component it will just go straight into failsafe.

As you say there is no power to the servo and there are no lights on on the unit this indicates that there is more likely an intermittent power problem rather than a failsafe problem. Have you tried connecting the failsafe to another port say on the steering servo and seeing if the problem then switches to the steering servo or if it stays with the throttle servo? This would help determine if the problem is in the receiver or the failsafe.

If you try this and the same thing happens on the steering servo then it is most likely an intermittent power problem in the failsafe maybe a bad solder joint, it is extremely rare but it can happen.

If you try the above and you are convinced it is still the failsafe then I would suggest sending it back to Venom for testing and if it is a manufacturing fault it will be replaced.

Not sure where you are based. If you are in the US e-mail [email protected] and if you are outside the US e-mail [email protected] for return details.

As to the failsafe working with the M8 it has been tested with standard and JR digital servos and worked fine with both during testing.
Chris Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 10:47 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

I did try it with switching to the steering channel and the steering servo did have the exact same problems...so im pretty sure it is the FS.

Im pretty sure that I have the latest version, because I don't remember having any instructions to modify the futaba tab.

Thanks for the help.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:06 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (98%+)
Send a message via MSN to tkhoo

Quote:
Originally posted by spawn
I have this problem too!! I am using the MX3 tx. I initially thought it was a glitch and cause my car to run all over the track or brake erratically. This was happening for some time and I couldnt solve the problem so I took out the venom fail safe and walla, no more erratic servo movement.

Spawn, so now you not using FS. How many tank you can run for one fully charge 600mAh NiCd battery. Pls advice. Last month my Dynamite FS not working properly and cause my baby bang to the wall
tkhoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 07:33 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by tkhoo
Spawn, so now you not using FS. How many tank you can run for one fully charge 600mAh NiCd battery. Pls advice. Last month my Dynamite FS not working properly and cause my baby bang to the wall
Yeah, Ive had that happen before on my Mugen XR, I used the hitec HS-945MG and HS925MG servos. After 30-40mins of racing the 600mah pack died. I was unaware that those servos drained the pack so fast.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:19 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by tkhoo
I think my batt is 850mah and it last about 1 hour. Go do yourself a favour and get a battery monitor like the one from venow.
spawn is offline   Reply With Quote