RS4 3 Evo+ upgrades

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

RS4 3 Evo+ upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2009, 11:45 AM
Tech Rookie

Hey guys, just wanted to say that Im glad I got to be a part of this forum. So far, learned quite a bit by browsing for a few weeks.

Anywho, I just picked up an RS4 3 Evo, and while we're on the topic...Do I have to buy a completely new engine to have a pull-start, or can I just install it on my stock engine? Thanks guys.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

For the most part, there is a manufacture or generic brand pull start for just about all engines.....however there are some engines that will not accept any other brand but its own. The kyosho GXR engines come to mind. Check manufacture website and then www.towerhobbies.com and www.Amainhobbies.com for various pull-start/rotory starters that can be mounted on engines.

It would be helpful if you told us what engine your Evo has. Also be sure to check if you need to buy a different backplate for said pull-starter and a one-way bearign to go with it.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Rookie

Sorry I didnt mention it. Its a T3.0 engine.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Ok...re-read my post....we appearantly were posting at the same time. HPI definately has there own pull-start for that engine. Just out of curiosity...what do you have now....rotostart!?! Why would you change...pull-starts are a pain in the a$$.

Last edited by Kyo83; 09-14-2009 at 12:20 PM. Reason: typos
Old 09-14-2009, 12:26 PM
Tech Rookie

I would always read how a pain the Rotostart is. I actually never had a problem with the rotostarter, its that I figured with a pull-start I dont need to charge any batteries or anything.

I guess I can stick with my Rotostart.

Now I do also want to improve handling (for some reason I dont know why, I just picked up this car few weeks ago. Also my very first RC car EVER.). Are a set of shocks just as effective than a sway bar set? Or should one have both upgrades for superb handling...
Old 09-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RoyalAirness29
I would always read how a pain the Rotostart is. I actually never had a problem with the rotostarter, its that I figured with a pull-start I dont need to charge any batteries or anything.

I guess I can stick with my Rotostart.

Now I do also want to improve handling (for some reason I dont know why, I just picked up this car few weeks ago. Also my very first RC car EVER.). Are a set of shocks just as effective than a sway bar set? Or should one have both upgrades for superb handling...
If you don't know why you want to improve the handling then maybe you should hold off and get to know your car a bit more, understanding how the car reacts and drives is very important in making changes to make it better. Are you using the car on a prepared track? are you just bashing outside your home? are you racing at local parking lot tracks? these are all things to think about when looking to changes parts for one reason or another.

My .02 cents.

Sean
Old 09-14-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (96%+)

Royal, I would go ahead and install a pull start. That was the first thing I did to my RS4. I hated the Roto-Start. Had to worry about charging batteries and carrying the Roto-Start all over. Pull start is better IMO.

I would drive the car as it is now, so you get used to it and how it reacts and handles. From there, I would slowly upgrade where you think it's needed. Your first upgrade should be a rechargeable battery pack, get rid of the AA batteries. I would also get a failsafe to prevent runaways. From there, upgrade what you think will help you out. Maybe a set of new shocks or maybe sway bars, or both.

Have fun with the car. If you have any questions, feel free to ask!
Old 09-14-2009, 12:52 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by BLKNOTCH
If you don't know why you want to improve the handling then maybe you should hold off and get to know your car a bit more, understanding how the car reacts and drives is very important in making changes to make it better. Are you using the car on a prepared track? are you just bashing outside your home? are you racing at local parking lot tracks? these are all things to think about when looking to changes parts for one reason or another.

My .02 cents.

Sean
I totally agree. I do no coursing or anything competitive like that. I just run it in an empty parking lot. I wish i can ride it around a course but I wouldnt know where to do that.

I understand I do need to learn my car inside and out before jumping the gun, its just that I like to make the best of whatever I have. But I guess I can hold off on the modding and all that.

Also when my bro took apart my car after a pretty bad crash, we realized his dumb a$$ forgot to put in the servro-savers in.
Are these crucial to the steering on the car, or can it be ran without them?
Old 09-14-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Elite

fastharry, I looked on HPI's website at the HPI Challenge in NJ. They have pics, but none without a body on it. Which of those cars is yours? Got any pics?
Old 09-14-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys, Serpent, KYO, BLK....Appreciate all the insight and feedback from you guys. This is most def. a friendly board.

I honestly got a handful of questions but I'll save you guys the noob stuff for some other time, dont want to overflow you with easy typical questions.

Thanks again guys.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RoyalAirness29
I totally agree. I do no coursing or anything competitive like that. I just run it in an empty parking lot. I wish i can ride it around a course but I wouldnt know where to do that.

I understand I do need to learn my car inside and out before jumping the gun, its just that I like to make the best of whatever I have. But I guess I can hold off on the modding and all that.

Also when my bro took apart my car after a pretty bad crash, we realized his dumb a$$ forgot to put in the servro-savers in.
Are these crucial to the steering on the car, or can it be ran without them?
The servo saver is in place to do as it is named (save the servo) when there is a load on the steering system (like in a crash) where there will be enough load to damage the gears inside the servo.

I agree with above in reguards to the receiver pack and ditching the AA pack, this will help for longer run times. Next if you are finding that you are having the dogbones (driveshafts) coming out more then you like then you can opt to install a set of SVD's or Universal dogbones. These 2 changes will be good to keeping you running and enjoying the car, from there it will be a matter of what you feel the car needs while using it. I am sure for messing around on the street you will be more then happy with the current settings of the car. When the time comes that you find a track to race at or a group that is running a parking lot racing series, this will be the time when you see weather the car has the handling needed or if upgrades are in order.

Good luck and enjoy your first step into this great hobby.

Post some pics when you get a chance.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S
Here is a list of my upgrades:
-Vantage pipe
-Jaco foam tires
-Threaded aluminum shocks
-Pull start
-Racing fuel tank
-Battery pack
-Carbon fiber front tower
-Carbon fiber rear tower
-Carbon fiber upper deck
-Carbon fiber bumper plate

And here are some pictures:

Your car is sex, sir!

No upgraded chassis? These two pictures alone has sold me on a RS4 3. Thank you.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by HarryN
Your car is sex, sir!

No upgraded chassis? These two pictures alone has sold me on a RS4 3. Thank you.
Thanks a lot!

HPI makes an upgraded chassis, but it wouldn't look any different than the stock one in those pictures I took.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by BLKNOTCH
The servo saver is in place to do as it is named (save the servo) when there is a load on the steering system (like in a crash) where there will be enough load to damage the gears inside the servo.

I agree with above in reguards to the receiver pack and ditching the AA pack, this will help for longer run times. Next if you are finding that you are having the dogbones (driveshafts) coming out more then you like then you can opt to install a set of SVD's or Universal dogbones. These 2 changes will be good to keeping you running and enjoying the car, from there it will be a matter of what you feel the car needs while using it. I am sure for messing around on the street you will be more then happy with the current settings of the car. When the time comes that you find a track to race at or a group that is running a parking lot racing series, this will be the time when you see weather the car has the handling needed or if upgrades are in order.

Good luck and enjoy your first step into this great hobby.

Post some pics when you get a chance.
Ok Ok real quick....What battery pack will fit my car? Link would be perfect. Again im sorry for being such a nub
Old 09-14-2009, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Here you go.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFJT2&P=7

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXNMD6&P=7

The second one has a higher mah, it will give you more power and it will last longer between charges.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.