R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-11-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Engine flooded, can't start

I just got my first nitro car (RS4 3 Evo+) and I am having problems getting it started. I believe I flooded it the first time when I probably WAY over primered it. (Couldn't tell the fuel had entered the tube..). I tried removing the glow plug and using the robo starter to remove the excess fuel as it says in the manual. This does not appear to help. The fuel is definitely still in the tube (dunno if that is the how it should be?), and after I put the glow plug back and try again after spinning for about a second it locks up again.

I checked the glow plug and it's glowing so I know it's not the problem. Is there something I'm doing wrong here?
TheWired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:00 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWired View Post
I just got my first nitro car (RS4 3 Evo+) and I am having problems getting it started. I believe I flooded it the first time when I probably WAY over primered it. (Couldn't tell the fuel had entered the tube..). I tried removing the glow plug and using the robo starter to remove the excess fuel as it says in the manual. This does not appear to help. The fuel is definitely still in the tube (dunno if that is the how it should be?), and after I put the glow plug back and try again after spinning for about a second it locks up again.

I checked the glow plug and it's glowing so I know it's not the problem. Is there something I'm doing wrong here?
try heating the engine up with a hair dryer before trying to start it. Usually you don't have to do this with an rtr but you might just have a tight engine.
Tires>>> I don't know yet
quietstorm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 02:04 AM   #3
Tech Rookie

Quote:

did you try preheating the engine? try using a heat gun and pre heat the head to about 170 to 180 degrees. plug the exhaust pipe with your finger while starting the engine, that should push the fuel into your motor. then just install the igniter and start it up. make sure that the carburator is also open about .5mm.
jun_808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 03:41 AM   #4
Tech Elite

RTR engines can be a pain to start. I know my Inferno GT-2 is hard to get going if it hasn't been heated up.
Old 09-11-2009, 04:41 AM   #5
Tech Regular

are you priming it before you start it?...Only 1 push or 2 is needed...and yes, you should see fuel in the tube.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You can also lean the High Speed needle a few ticks to get it started then move it back to break-in settings once you get the engine started. Just remember or mark your starting point before making adjustments.
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:58 AM   #7
Tech Rookie

Took my car to the hobby shop I bought it at and they found a lot of fuel in the exhaust . I wasn't tipping my car over when I tried to fix the flooding problem. Anyway got the thing started and it's a BLAST. Too much fun. Gotta tune it though, they helped me a bit at the store but I noticed it's shutting off when I gas it all the way.
TheWired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:11 AM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Took my car to the hobby shop I bought it at and they found a lot of fuel in the exhaust . I wasn't tipping my car over when I tried to fix the flooding problem. Anyway got the thing started and it's a BLAST. Too much fun. Gotta tune it though, they helped me a bit at the store but I noticed it's shutting off when I gas it all the way.

Well, it's either too rich, or too lean top end..and usually it's too lean. Right after it shuts off, put some spit on top of the cylinder head. If it REALLY start's to sizzle, it's way to hot. So open the top(main) needle like 3 clicks. If the spit just sits there, and does nothing, it's too cold. Then you would close the needle a few clicks.

Before you do any tuning, you have to make sure the engine is fully saturated with heat, usually a minute or two will do it.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:56 AM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Lets not forget about the break in process go here for great info:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...eak-bible.html
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote