Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 Nitro Spec Series work up

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default 1/10 Nitro Spec Series work up

OK I in the works of creating a spec series to be run for the 2010 season at my local RC Track www.rcpikeriver.com and until today I was pretty set on the HPI RS4 Evo3 as the pricing was super on the kit and HPI being a brand that can be had at most any LHS. That being said it has been brought to my attention that this may not be the best car to run a series like this with as there are many issues with this car that will do more harm then good, so what I am asking is what would be the best option that you the racing public would recommend to help re energize our club and help to bring new members?

Thanks for all your help RC Tech and let the suggestions begin.

Sean
Old 09-08-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

This Kyosho car may be a much better choice as the cost is lower and the car seems to be much better as there are many parts that share with the VVV-R

http://www.rc-mushroom.com/product_i...ducts_id=17261
http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/cars/in...art_num=31369#

Old 09-08-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=BLKNOTCH;6319063]This Kyosho car may be a much better choice as the cost is lower and the car seems to be much better as there are many parts that share with the VVV-R

AGREED! kyosho FW-06 good rtr car to use!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

This is a good idea and I hope that you have success with it. However, look out for the naysayers that will tell you that it will not work, why just this car and why can't I run car X, car Y, or car Z, why can't I run engine X, engine Y, etc, why do I have to run this tire, why can't I run foams or that tire, etc, etc. You get the picture. Everywhere I have been and someone tried to start a spec class like you are, this is what always comes up. Don't let others sabotage what you want to do.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:15 AM
Tech Lord

I have just learned the FW06 isn't produced anymore, not a good choice....

If you realy do a cheap spec class maybe the Fazer is an option. It is cheap, rocksolid and in europe also used in the Kyosho cup.

Otherwise I think an RTR competition using several listed brands and cars with original engines started by a pull or rotostart is a better choice to get more drivers.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
This is a good idea and I hope that you have success with it. However, look out for the naysayers that will tell you that it will not work, why just this car and why can't I run car X, car Y, or car Z, why can't I run engine X, engine Y, etc, why do I have to run this tire, why can't I run foams or that tire, etc, etc. You get the picture. Everywhere I have been and someone tried to start a spec class like you are, this is what always comes up. Don't let others sabotage what you want to do.
Although I'd like to agree with JLock. It will be hard to stick with one car as the spec unless you are racing near a hobbyshop that carries the car you want as your spec car.

My suggestion is to make it more of an open spec class. Say...... any RTR kit, within a certain price range and stock motor.

This combination works well.....any Kit under $310 with any motor under $150 and rubber tires only and only certain car bodies( GT or vintage). This levels the playingfield but still allows more participants.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Tech Elite

Kyo83

The only reason why I brought it up was because I have been involved with a spec class with the IGT car in three different locations and people griped and complained no matter who the rules were modified to pacify them. In MS, they ran the IGT car only with a list of spec engines with any brand rubber tire made for the car. Some decided to buy other brand cars without checking with the Series organizer and created a stink about it. Because of the dustup and hassles, the IGT class started to dry up. In TN, they run the IGT car box stock with only any brand rubber tires. Some complained about not being able to run whatever they want, now the class has all but died off. Here in TX, I learned from the MS and TN crowds and made a spec class and open (run whatever you want) class. I included all brands of the IGT-type cars with specific rules for spec and some guideline rules for open. Racers still complained and about two races in, just stop coming out despite having a class with rules that they wanted.

You are right; it would be nice to just have one car as a spec car, but it would not be fair for someone that has a car in which a body/engine/tire change would them qualify their car for spec racing. It is tough to do but if you stick to your guns as far as the rules, a spec class can succeed.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JLock
Kyo83

The only reason why I brought it up was because I have been involved with a spec class with the IGT car in three different locations and people griped and complained no matter who the rules were modified to pacify them. In MS, they ran the IGT car only with a list of spec engines with any brand rubber tire made for the car. Some decided to buy other brand cars without checking with the Series organizer and created a stink about it. Because of the dustup and hassles, the IGT class started to dry up. In TN, they run the IGT car box stock with only any brand rubber tires. Some complained about not being able to run whatever they want, now the class has all but died off. Here in TX, I learned from the MS and TN crowds and made a spec class and open (run whatever you want) class. I included all brands of the IGT-type cars with specific rules for spec and some guideline rules for open. Racers still complained and about two races in, just stop coming out despite having a class with rules that they wanted.

You are right; it would be nice to just have one car as a spec car, but it would not be fair for someone that has a car in which a body/engine/tire change would them qualify their car for spec racing. It is tough to do but if you stick to your guns as far as the rules, a spec class can succeed.
Again...I'm agree with you. I was just suggesting adjusting the spec to allow more people to get involved from the start. But once you make you decision, (spec) you definately have to stick with your guns. There will always be the complainers but just remind people of why you chose your rules (ie to keep it fair, cheap and fun...etc) and that should limit the bitchin' and moanin' to a minimum. Good luck.
Old 09-09-2009, 02:43 PM
Tech Regular

have you looked into the Team Magic rtr nitro car I believe it sells for around $310 or so
I have heard some good and some bad about it! Being Engine is not that reliable???
might be something to check into!!!
Old 09-09-2009, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

Hey great info guy's and I thiank you for posting your thoughts, I have no issue with allowing other RTR kits to joint the spec series as the whole point in doing this series in the first place is to get new members to the track and into the hobby. I am creating the series with one car in mind as I will be doing allk I can to make this car available for the new racers and we are aiming at NEW racers that have nothing. As it is now I have 4 people at my work that are getting the idea of the racing and thinking hard about it for next summer, this is what I have been looking to do (get the idea in peoples heads) which will help to bring more people out.

As it is now I run in our only Nitro series which is open with the car listed in my Sig, which has got me currently setting in 1st place overall with only 2 races remaining. I am looking to do this to increase our numbers, hell I plan to run it also along with a bunch of the other current racers.

So far the Kyosho seems to be the best all round car that I have see after looking at many different available cars but I have yet to look closely at the G4S Team Magic car which I know is a solid car as one of our racers is running the car with a solid JP Engine and is always at my toes during the races LOL.

Sean
Old 09-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Adept

i have a suggestion it would be an equilier let them bring whaty every car wwhat ever motor but make it a rubber tire series you pick the tire foam combination for each race. it will be the great equilier. there is a great difference in setup for rubber and foam. i learned it run 1/8th gt. it wont be expensive as you place a rule of 2 sets of tires for the weekend and when you check in you mark the spec tires. or raise the price and give handouts already marked. they do work your setup will change a lot and i am sure there will be some complaints but if they get into it your racers will learn a lot about setting up a caron the tires they have
Old 09-09-2009, 05:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

ok, rather then spec chassis's. how about spec engines. like a jlr red dot stock out of the box or something.. or os 12tz. that way the kids that already have chassis dont have to buy a new one. so spec a 12tz and some spec tires.

does that make sense?
Old 09-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rx7ttlm
ok, rather then spec chassis's. how about spec engines. like a jlr red dot stock out of the box or something.. or os 12tz. that way the kids that already have chassis dont have to buy a new one. so spec a 12tz and some spec tires.

does that make sense?
No, What The F.. are you talking about?
you don't even Race Nitro
Old 09-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rx7ttlm

does that make sense?
If you want to do the spec engine thing, one of the best low cost engines on the market is the OS 12TG. Cost of this engine is around $130. Another engine for consideration would be the new Dynamite .12. It is also another low cost mill (under $150).

But like I stated earlier, when does it end as far as agreeing on what to and not to run for a spec class. And, whatever is chosen, some will balk regardless. Research, set the rules, and don't waver from them. If you have to make amendments/modifications to the rules, do so accordingly and stand strong by the rules and rulings.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingfloat
No, What The F.. are you talking about?
you don't even Race Nitro
well, I do race nitro. And your comment clarifies your intellect all on its own...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.