R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 09-01-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Glow Plug Help

Hey

i have a Nitro 4 Tech with 3.3 Engine and i have been going crazy with glow plugs, the day i get the glow plug it works the next it stops i changed my needles to factory specs and before one glow plug last me a good 1-2 months but after that it has been using glow plugs to much. I am using 30% sport nitro with heavy duty long-medium traxxas glow plug part # 3232X, is there any other glow plug that is better for my car or i should try and im pretty shure it cant be the oil cause i used more tan half a gallonn with my first glow plug i ever had. Is there any way i changed glow plugs? Plzz help this is driving me crazy. Also if i have to do something can you explain to me how you do it.

Thanks

Last edited by imran; 09-01-2009 at 03:01 PM.
imran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
Tech Regular

I dont think you should be using 30% nitro. The engine isn't shimmed for it. You didn't say wether the plug was burnt out or the wire was distorted by too much fuel, so I cant tell if it was too rich or too lean a mixture. Look very closely at the wire on the plug when you change the next one. Is it dry? Also do you have any idea what temperature the engine is running at?
wizby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:03 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Give us a better description of the glow plug (how the element looks) I'm currently using Mccoy MC8 or 9 and they last for a very long time I can't even remember when was the last time I changed it. Sometimes I keep my 4tec running with out stopping the engine for over 45mins. always checking the temp not to get over 240 F after running full throttle for a few runs. If I remember well I broke the engine with Byron's 20% after a gallon changed to 30% and now I'm running 33% and never added any shims under the cooling head.

It is important to give your car a good maintanance I open the engine every once in awhile to check the internals... after more than 6gals the pitchs is pretty much gone but there's compression no scratches on piston or sleeve.
Xray NT1 '08 /'09 EC LRP12R / Serpent 720 '08 RB Concept V12, R3 RB mods, V12 Rody, Matrix RW / Serpent 733, 733TE RB T9 / EA RC8T OS .21 Vspec speed tuned / Kyosho Inferno GT, GT2 / EA SC10 / Serpent Cobra GT coming soon!
Gonzo RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:09 AM   #4
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I believe factory setting are for breaking the engine in, which by the way is a rich settting. Try leaning the HSN somewhat so that you have a nice white tail of smoke when on throttle but a barely visible smoke from exhaust when off throttle. This should reduce the wear on your glowplugs, thus extending their life.
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:19 AM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizby View Post
I dont think you should be using 30% nitro. The engine isn't shimmed for it. You didn't say wether the plug was burnt out or the wire was distorted by too much fuel, so I cant tell if it was too rich or too lean a mixture. Look very closely at the wire on the plug when you change the next one. Is it dry? Also do you have any idea what temperature the engine is running at?
Acutually it is. My friend has been running Traxxas 33% in his since he bought (5yrs ago) and Traxxas web site suggest using it.
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 02:27 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Hey Imran,
I had a similar issue with an LRP Team Spec.2 .12 engine. Problem was caused by a crack in the cooling head, causing the engine to run overly hot and busting plugs. check the basics first tho! Most likely caused by running too lean/rich on your fuel mixture.

Anthony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imran View Post
Hey

i have a Nitro 4 Tech with 3.3 Engine and i have been going crazy with glow plugs, the day i get the glow plug it works the next it stops i changed my needles to factory specs and before one glow plug last me a good 1-2 months but after that it has been using glow plugs to much. I am using 30% sport nitro with heavy duty long-medium traxxas glow plug part # 3232X, is there any other glow plug that is better for my car or i should try and im pretty shure it cant be the oil cause i used more tan half a gallonn with my first glow plug i ever had. Is there any way i changed glow plugs? Plzz help this is driving me crazy. Also if i have to do something can you explain to me how you do it.

Thanks
anthony_ling is offline   Reply With Quote