Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tires for parking lots??

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 04:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Tires for parking lots??

Wich tires would be best too race on parking lots.

Alot of the standard tires we use wear out too quickly so would we need to get high compound? Can anyone tell me what would be the best for their price.
Old 08-26-2009, 02:35 PM
Tech Master

Really depends on the type of asphalt you'rer racing on. We have a parking lot track here in So-Cal and although it is really smooth, the tyre wear is high.

We recently have been prepping the lot with a base of castor oil, mountain dew syurp, and methanol. Then we follow up with a coating of VHT, 2gal methanol to every 1 gal VHT. This really stops a lot of the sliding around and saves tyres, we have been using the same layout now for about 4 races and the tyre wear is a lot better as the rubber is being layed down on the same line.

Just this past weekend, one of the 1/8 nitro drivers reported that he did all of his quals and a 20min main on the same set of tyres.

If cost of materials is an issue, sugar watter will do the same, just takes longer.

Hope this helps!!

Good Racing
Old 08-26-2009, 02:45 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by gwilli2001us
Really depends on the type of asphalt you'rer racing on. We have a parking lot track here in So-Cal and although it is really smooth, the tyre wear is high.

We recently have been prepping the lot with a base of castor oil, mountain dew syurp, and methanol. Then we follow up with a coating of VHT, 2gal methanol to every 1 gal VHT. This really stops a lot of the sliding around and saves tyres, we have been using the same layout now for about 4 races and the tyre wear is a lot better as the rubber is being layed down on the same line.

Just this past weekend, one of the 1/8 nitro drivers reported that he did all of his quals and a 20min main on the same set of tyres.

If cost of materials is an issue, sugar watter will do the same, just takes longer.

Hope this helps!!

Good Racing
I'm lost, your post did not answer the question, Jonnokurt ask which tires is the best for parking lot racing, not how to prep a track, so your post did not help at all
Old 08-26-2009, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

the real Question is are you Racing or Bashing????
if bashing I would just buy a set of treaded rubber tires you will not have the best grip but they will work and not wear as fast as foams
Old 08-26-2009, 06:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Hah wow thats alot of prep'

We are bashing I guess seeing as we are beginners but the surface is freshly poured hotmix it's very smooth and has a sand scimm over the top wich makes it very slippery. On the majority of turns the wheels are just spinning, turns out my camber was too high also, seeing as the insides of my tires were the main problem area but I solved that no worries. At the moment I'm just buying these cheapy brand about $22 aud for 4 but they last on average 20 laps of our little 80mtr circut. Is this good?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Go here:

Twister tires

Get yourself some 38 to 40 shore tires
Old 08-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Tech Rookie

-

They're all foam? I foam wouldn't last long in carparks no?
Or will they provide more traction = less wheel spin = reduced wear?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Tech Master

Rubber tyres will work better and last longer on a non prepped style parking lot, foam tyres gives better traction on a clean lot but still will not last as long as rubber
Old 08-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Ah yes, I was looking on the HPI website they have a set called parking lot bashes. Exactly what I need they're just super high density. Problem is trying too find a supplier i'll have too call up hobby shops all around australia too see if i can get some!