Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Centax Clutch Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2004, 08:01 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Centax Clutch Question

Are their any differences between 8th scale and 10th scale centax clutches?

I need another centax for my SMP Slide, but parts are few and far between. I noticed that the package for the Mugen said MRX/MTX3 on it. I assume this means it could be used for both? What about the Serpent clutch? Anyone run a 705 and a 950?
Old 01-26-2004, 08:11 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Centax Clutch Question

Originally posted by nitroaddict
Anyone run a 705 and a 950?
I don't run a 950 but the Centax II clutch on the 705 is exactly the same as the Centax II clutch on the 950. Just that the flywheel diameter is different. 38 mm on the 950 and 35 mm on the 705. The flywheel would depend on the height of the engine mount though.

If you buy the Serpent Centax II clutch (909510), you will notice that they do not include the flywheel. You need to purchase it separately.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

would it reason to say then, that i can install the serpent centax clutch from the 705/710 onto my 8th scale SMP Slide? I really dont even need a whole clutch, just several parts. but I imagine that even single parts for the serpent will be impossible to find. My LHS stocks the serpent centax clutch.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:26 AM
Tech Prophet

would it reason to say then, that i can install the serpent centax clutch from the 705/710 onto my 8th scale SMP Slide?
Note that the 705 and the 710 Centax clutch (Centax II versus Centax III) are different. Only the clutch nut, preload nut, shims, thrust bearing and spacer thrust bearing is the same. Others are different.

The 710 pinions are based on the 0.8 finer module. Perhaps the older 1.0 module gearing on the Centax II pinions would mesh with your SMP spurs.

You need to check the flywheel if they are OK to be fitted on the SMP. You probably either need to mod the engine mounts (lower perhaps) or go with your current existing SMP flywheel if that's possible.

I really dont even need a whole clutch, just several parts. but I imagine that even single parts for the serpent will be impossible to find. My LHS stocks the serpent centax clutch.
What you could do is to download the 705 or the 950 manual online at mytsn. At the end of the page, it will list all parts of the car which would include the Centax II clutch.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:27 AM
Tech Rookie

would it reason to say then, that i can install the serpent centax clutch from the 705/710 onto my 8th scale SMP Slide? I really dont even need a whole clutch, just several parts. but I imagine that even single parts for the serpent will be impossible to find. My LHS stocks the serpent centax clutch.
Almost ALL the centaxs are the same, with the exception of flywheel diameter already pointed out.

You can also use the flywheel size to your advantage, get a 30mm flywheel from a NTC3 or G4 centax and get your motor even lower for a better center of gravity!
Old 01-26-2004, 08:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by RC_Seller
You can also use the flywheel size to your advantage, get a 30mm flywheel from a NTC3 or G4 centax and get your motor even lower for a better center of gravity!
True. But I think once you go with a smaller flywheel from the G4 or the NTC3 K Factory Centax, you need to go with all the internals from them.

Changing the flywheel alone is difficult as the Centax flyweights, the push plate, the clutch shoes and the clutchbell all depend on the size of the flywheel. In the case of the Centax II, the 3 pivoting pins on the flywheels of 35 mm and 38 mm Serpent Centax flywheels are at the same position. So the internals can share and interchange.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:15 AM
Tech Apprentice

I don't think that nitroaddict could use the new Serpent Centax II or III on his SMP Slide. The Slide uses a 2 speed similar to Serpent's old style 2 speed. The new Centax II and III clutches have to be used with the LC 2 speed.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

why would the 2 speed have any bearing on this? space between gears?

so you think that if i get the serpent flywheel and centzx, it should fit a .21 engine? I thought that the crankshafts were bigger than those on .12s? this was my major concern.

The damage to my SMP clutch is the pilot nut and retaining nut are stripped beyond repair, and the thrust washers are shot. I purchased a mugen MTX/MRX thrust washer/bearing, but the diameter of these is about 1mm greater than the SMP clutchbell.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

why would the 2 speed have any bearing on this? space between gears?
Yes, there is a bigger gap between the gears on the older Serpent transmission. The newer Serpent transmission's gears are closer together. You will have no problem using the original Serpent Centax on your Slide.
Old 01-26-2004, 09:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

thanks. they carry the original serpent centax. i am going to purchase this assuming that everyone else agrees. the diameter of a .21 engine crankshaft and .12 are the same.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

thanks. they carry the original serpent centax. i am going to purchase this assuming that everyone else agrees. the diameter of a .21 engine crankshaft and .12 are the same.

I believe they're the same.
I exchange clutch parts between my .12 and .21 all the time.
The only difference is the diameter of the flywheel.
The diameter of the flywheel is based on the engine mount height.
Old 01-26-2004, 10:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

very cool. thanks for the help guys. I was worried that they wouldnt fit, even though it looks the same. I will pick up the centax from the serpent tonight.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:41 PM
Tech Elite

Default Centax Clutch Question

nitroaddict;

I have installed the Mugen clutches on 2 of my (Sedans) Cars and have been very reliable. They have held their adjustment(s) for months of racing and at less than $50 US, were a bargain.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:49 PM
Tech Champion

Originally posted by PSI Racer
Yes, there is a bigger gap between the gears on the older Serpent transmission. The newer Serpent transmission's gears are closer together. You will have no problem using the original Serpent Centax on your Slide.
simple answer gets to the point right on. PSI is a true snake !

I wish PSI can post more on this forum. i am sure PSI will make me start to like snake cars.
Old 01-27-2004, 05:56 AM
Tech Apprentice

hey pops racer - I would be more than happy to get the mugen clutch as well, however it is also 110.00 at my LHS (superior hobbies). Is there somewhere it can be purchased for the 50.00 you mention?