droop and height

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default droop and height

hi guys,
just wana confirm a couple of issues regarding droop and ride height:

1. ride height is independent of droop settings. ride height shouldn't change with different droop settings right?

2. when yr car is sitting on its tires, the droop screws shouldn't be touching the chassis right?

thanks.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:39 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Correct.

Many noobs make the mistake of setting ride height with the droop screws. Big mistake.

Also, if you make a big ride height change, you may need to change your droop settings as well to compensate.

#2 is generally correct but there are rare instances when you might want almost no droop. Then the screws might be touching but have no real tension on them.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:47 AM
Tech Addict

great! thanks...
so i've been doing the 'right' things.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Lord

In realscale racing there is a setup called pre-tension where the spring gets a pre-tension on the droop setting. While driving the downforce will move the suspension from the droopsetting.

But indeed the rideheight is always set with the springnut and the droopsetting is normally set without any shocks connected.
Setting a rideheigt to the size of a tire would think you have to change the droopsetting as well, I only change the upstops to it.
And if you ar a setup nerd you know you have to change/correct the camber as well when changing the rideheight.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
In realscale racing there is a setup called pre-tension where the spring gets a pre-tension on the droop setting. While driving the downforce will move the suspension from the droopsetting.
This is sometimes done with pan car front ends too.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Dont forget to remove the sway bar before setting droop.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

many people do it all different to each other. i personally use droop blocks.
but it can be done with the tires on and sway bars on. droop over ride hieght.
but it all changes one the tires wear thats where electric drivers on rubbers have a hard time with nitro. another thing to worry about.... tire wear
Old 08-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NitroWD
hi guys,
just wana confirm a couple of issues regarding droop and ride height:

1. ride height is independent of droop settings. ride height shouldn't change with different droop settings right?

2. when yr car is sitting on its tires, the droop screws shouldn't be touching the chassis right?

thanks.
also go to the nt1 setup book and it will help you under stand what everything is. http://www.teamxray.com/teamxray/pro...ria=0&catName=
Old 08-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
but it all changes one the tires wear thats where electric drivers on rubbers have a hard time with nitro. another thing to worry about.... tire wear
Hey Patto droop does not change as the tyres wear and ride height lowers due to this wear. It will only change if the ride height is changed by adjusting shock collars, As this changes the arm angle. Sorry if I have misunderstood you.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
2mm on the droop blocks: will it be same as follows:-?

place car without tires on the setup board, adjust droop screws till lowest point of the wheel hubs are 2mm above the setup board...
Old 08-26-2009, 07:52 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by keavze

place car without tires on the setup board, adjust droop screws till lowest point of the wheel hubs are 2mm above the setup board...
yes, it's the same.
Old 08-27-2009, 10:48 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by batto
Hey Patto droop does not change as the tyres wear and ride height lowers due to this wear. It will only change if the ride height is changed by adjusting shock collars, As this changes the arm angle. Sorry if I have misunderstood you.
This is not true, your droop value changes as the tires wear down, thats why you have to re-adjust your droop after every run. you will loose droop and and ride hight as your tire's wear down unless your running rubber tires than it will not change much.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:31 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by keavze

Correct, but this method gets very difficult when using 0mm drop or less.

Originally Posted by sukh
your droop value changes as the tires wear down, thats why you have to re-adjust your droop after every run. you will loose droop and and ride hight as your tire's wear down
Droop is how far the suspension can travel downwards relative to the chassis. This is typically measured with the chassis on blocks, without tyres on. Please explain how droop would change with tyre wear.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:02 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by QuiXoTic_NL
Correct, but this method gets very difficult when using 0mm drop or less.

Droop is how far the suspension can travel downwards relative to the chassis. This is typically measured with the chassis on blocks, without tyres on. Please explain how droop would change with tyre wear.
If you shooting for say 2mm droop or 2mm uptravel, after 1 run if you loose 1 mm on your tires how much up travel will you have before your tire lift off the ground? 1mm, so you lost 1mm of droop.

Yes you are right, droop is how far your suspention can travel downwards relative to the chassis but to maintain your value you will have to re-adjust after every run due to tire wear
Old 08-28-2009, 12:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (97%+)

Originally Posted by sukh
If you shooting for say 2mm droop or 2mm uptravel, after 1 run if you loose 1 mm on your tires how much up travel will you have before your tire lift off the ground? 1mm, so you lost 1mm of droop.

Yes you are right, droop is how far your suspention can travel downwards relative to the chassis but to maintain your value you will have to re-adjust after every run due to tire wear
This is very right in a way , the droop value you set with your droop block never changes ,be it what every size of tire you run. How ever you static droop values changes as your tires wear .This value is related to how much wear the tires have gone trough and where you camber linkage are mounted and what roll center block you are using. an example of maximum static droop value changing is when you run the lowest rear or front roll center . you will notice a lot of what you guys are referring to as droop changing. when you use a higher roll center you see less static droop changing . My terms/wording might not be same as books or as other guys use but i believe the concept is right . Feel free to correct me . knowledge is never a waste in rc .
cheers
alex
p.s ur static droop increase as your tire wears feel free to pm me if i am making sense

Last edited by Alex Siddique; 08-28-2009 at 02:22 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.