R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-20-2004, 05:50 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Default NTC3 Pull Start on an AE starter box ~ Will it work?

Been running electric and finally got the nitro bug. Found a pull start (PS) NTC3 and need to know if the AE starter box works on a PS engine. I got the starter box with my second NPS NTC3 and it works fine with the NPS, but seems to bog or drag on the PS stock engine. Are the flywheels different sizes that interfere with the starter box drive wheel?

Gotta tell ya, ain't been the same since I pulled the trigger on a nitro
Ducati-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:26 PM   #2
Tech Addict

you have to change the engine mount and flywheel. to use the starter box, the flywheel must be bigger and the engine mounts must sit lower. check the part numbers in the ae manual.
thefuzzclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:32 PM   #3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 101 (100%+)

you dont have to change it i didn't change mine the non p/s fly wheel is lighter but how cares about weight untill a roar race. i forgot just change the backer plate on it and throw the p/s away good luck with it

Last edited by 20 SMOKE; 01-20-2004 at 06:51 PM.
20 SMOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 11:17 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Default Thqnks

I thought there was some kinda spacing difference. as the non pull starts fits great and spins right up.

bill
Ducati-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 02:41 AM   #5
Tech Adept

There shouldn't be much of a spacing difference.

The reason the engine mounts are taller for PS engines is to make clearance for the pull start itself. The flywheels for pull start engines are generally bigger. This allows you to still use a starter box. You may want to check to see you have a pull start flywheel. Compare it to the one on your other car. You should see a difference in diameter.

Do you have problems starting your PS engine even by pulling the rope? If so, the one-way bearing may be bad.
The Sleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 02:06 AM   #6
Tech Master

Default Re: Thqnks

Quote:
Originally posted by Ducati-Rider
I thought there was some kinda spacing difference. as the non pull starts fits great and spins right up.

bill
The pull-start flywheel is specifically larger than the non-pull flywheel so that even when using pull-start mounts and a pull-start flywheel, you would be able to use a starter box. All cars with flywheel access through the bottom of the chassis are like this. That is why there is a larger (pull-start) flywheel for pull-start engine mounts and a smaller (non-pull) flywheel for lower non-pull motor mounts. The reason for the smaller flywheel and lower motor mounts is simply performance. The reason for the larger flywheel and higher motor mounts are obviously for clearance.

So long as you don't see any black rubber from the starter wheel on the chassis, there should be any clearance issues.

Quote:
Do you have problems starting your PS engine even by pulling the rope? If so, the one-way bearing may be bad.
Agreed.
Im2lazy is offline   Reply With Quote