Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
What car is this? >

What car is this?

What car is this?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Questions?? What car is this?

A friend of mine is contemplating on purchasing this car off a local seller.

Nether of us are to knowledgeable when it comes to specific models.

I'm guessing its a Mugen Seiki since the belts say it but the pipe says Yokomo

I can tell its a older car but it 'seems' nice and competitive still

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

These are the only pictures that the seller sent us ...

Old 07-30-2009, 10:18 AM
Tech Adept

looks like an old MTX-3
Old 07-30-2009, 10:27 AM
Suspended

Car is old and not competitive anymore, it won't keep up with the newer cars, the internal gear ratio on this car is suited only for those old engines producing only .5 hp, nowadays most engines are rated 1.5 hp, also the car still have small capacity receiver batteries that won't last if compared to the new generation cars with higher capacity receiver batteries, buying this car I would say is a waste of money, not unless you want to be an antique collector or the seller is selling it for $50.00
Old 07-30-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JRGTR
looks like an old MTX-3
Originally Posted by the_geeky
Car is old and not competitive anymore, it won't keep up with the newer cars, the internal gear ratio on this car is suited only for those old engines producing only .5 hp, nowadays most engines are rated 1.5 hp, also the car still have small capacity receiver batteries that won't last if compared to the new generation cars with higher capacity receiver batteries, buying this car I would say is a waste of money, not unless you want to be an antique collector or the seller is selling it for $50.00

I will pass along the information .... thanks fella's
Old 07-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Tech Regular

Hey Jay, yeah it is indeed a Mugen MTX3!!
Old 07-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the_geeky
Hate to say this, but this post is not quite true. I have been running Mugen since the MTX-2. I still have my MTX-3 with the 0.8 pitch gear upgrade and it is still highly competitive with the current crop of cars out there. It is just that replacement parts are very hard to come by now because of the MTX-4/4R. I was running a Max Power Mario Fantini 12 in mine for the longest and it handled the power quite well. I have also run a couple of other modified engines in mine including a JP Modded one and I think that those engines produced way more than .5hp.

Serpent7twenty,

If you are going to do just parking lot/club racing, it is still a good car. However, if there is not a good allotment of parts being sold with it or the seller is asking an unreasonable price, pass on it. If you were looking for a good used nitro touring car where you can find parts aplenty, go with the Kyosho V one RRR.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by JLock
Hate to say this, but this post is not quite true. I have been running Mugen since the MTX-2. I still have my MTX-3 with the 0.8 pitch gear upgrade and it is still highly competitive with the current crop of cars out there. It is just that replacement parts are very hard to come by now because of the MTX-4/4R. I was running a Max Power Mario Fantini 12 in mine for the longest and it handled the power quite well. I have also run a couple of other modified engines in mine including a JP Modded one and I think that those engines produced way more than .5hp.

Serpent7twenty,

If you are going to do just parking lot/club racing, it is still a good car. However, if there is not a good allotment of parts being sold with it or the seller is asking an unreasonable price, pass on it. If you were looking for a good used nitro touring car where you can find parts aplenty, go with the Kyosho V one RRR.

I'm very happy with my 720. My good friend is actually contemplating on purchasing it. The car DOES come with a HUGE box of brand new in the box parts (over 30 Spur and Pinion gears alone are included), arms, 4 chassis, bulk heads, extra tuned pipes, extra sets of foam tires ALL KINDS of crap for this car etc etc etc .. the seller was saying we could build 4 other complete cars if my boy pieced together all the parts.

He wants to get back into it but does not want to spend a large amount of money especially considering he just had another daughter back in March.

The seller is asking $300 for everything including a Spektrum 2.4ghz radio .. the starter box, 2 glow igniters etc etc etc..

Thanks for the help guys! I'm sure this will help my friend greatly in making his decision.
Old 07-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Tech Regular

wow thats pretty good price! For all that he is getting! looking forward to see u all up there at crystal park!!
Old 07-30-2009, 01:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Tell him I'll buy some of the pulley sets if they come with the kit .
Old 07-31-2009, 01:11 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

Hello 720..

From the picture i can see the car is still in a very good shape..this MTX3 is a GOOD car indeed

With proper setup i'm very...very sure..anyone COULD TQ AND WIN with it..
Old 07-31-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Thanks to eveyone that replied ... he turned the car down and picked up a friends 08' 720 ... needs electronics and a few new pieces here and there but he will get it up and running in good time!

Thanks again fellas!
Old 08-01-2009, 03:13 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

i think pro-s-futaba can order the parts.