Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road
1/8 On-Road WC in Lostollo...who do you think will win?? >

1/8 On-Road WC in Lostollo...who do you think will win??

1/8 On-Road WC in Lostollo...who do you think will win??

Old 08-23-2009, 06:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
RCA - No, Collari had a Serpent tank, steering blocks and some other different parts on his car.

Collari, Shimo, Bertin used the M3. Not sure what Tosso ran as he had both in the pits all weekend.

My final report from the WC is up on www.cefx.net now.

jdesoto - Great to see you at the race (good ipod mix too..lol)!! For sure the US team had a strong showing and silenced the keyboard hero's out there who like to take shots at the US drivers who are more than capable with good equipment. (Stefan, where are you??...) I think at next year's 1/10 WC it will be even better with Ralph, Paul and several others also being in the mix. We are all working very hard so it would be great for any of the US drivers to finally bring a 1/10 or 1/8 WC home to the US. Less than 1 year and I can't wait!!
Well put Josh...See you at the Nats...Congrats to Mike and the rest of you kick ass US drivers way to represent
Old 08-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by KyoshokiddT.D
yea ok
dont bet your life savings on that one
big tom your a hole must have puckered up just a little bit what a great showing from mikey congrats

Originally Posted by lil-bump View Post
My money is on Swauger. If he gets his car dialed; he is a total beast. Next would be Josh; I seen him at the GLC. When you lap the field that says something.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Based on the Pics the Host Country went all out.... They even had the names engraved with the finishing order on the Crystal Trophies... That's impressive!
Old 08-23-2009, 11:34 PM
Tech Regular

Congratulations to Mike Swauger. 2nd place with our old and trusty MRX-4, thats quite impressive!

Speaking about MRX-4: The car of Robert Pietsch carried a busload of mod's - Topdeck flexible, extra wide lower rear shock mounts, Velox uprights and so on. Looking at the pictures of Mike's car it seems that he ran only the short rear wheelbase mod, with the rest of the car being stock.
Looking at the laptimes of Pietsch and Swauger, they were almost identical during the final.
Engine wise, I think they are on the same level with their Nova works mills.

With this being said, it looks like us average drivers could take a stock MRX-4 put in a decent powerplant (e.g. Murnan) and be competive. If we are too slow, we don't need to think about our equipment, but have to blame (and work on) our driving skills.

What do you guys think about my theory? Am I missing something here?

Thanks and regards, Stefan
Old 08-24-2009, 12:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fulcrum2
Congratulations to Mike Swauger. 2nd place with our old and trusty MRX-4, thats quite impressive!

Speaking about MRX-4: The car of Robert Pietsch carried a busload of mod's - Topdeck flexible, extra wide lower rear shock mounts, Velox uprights and so on. Looking at the pictures of Mike's car it seems that he ran only the short rear wheelbase mod, with the rest of the car being stock.
Looking at the laptimes of Pietsch and Swauger, they were almost identical during the final.
Engine wise, I think they are on the same level with their Nova works mills.

With this being said, it looks like us average drivers could take a stock MRX-4 put in a decent powerplant (e.g. Murnan) and be competive. If we are too slow, we don't need to think about our equipment, but have to blame (and work on) our driving skills.

What do you guys think about my theory? Am I missing something here?

Thanks and regards, Stefan
I think the mods on Roberts car helped in certain ways. That is according to the qualifying lap times. According Josh's report, Robert changed his strategy which i think attributed to his lost. He was chased by Collari in the beginning of the race but after that Robert was working hard to play catch up after losing the lead. After all it is Robert's job as Mugen Desginer to try new things to make it work.

I guess for the race, Collari played a very smart mind game with the rest of the drivers while Robert had a outright fast car. With the change of strategy, it did not perform throughout the hour of the finals.

Still good for Mugen to be the runner up and Kyosho for putting 2 cars in the top 3.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:03 AM
Tech Lord

Also Collari's car had some (loads of) parts from other brands.

It is not wise to determ your choice on the base of what wins the WC. I know the slogan "what wins on sunday sels on monday" but if I have to follow this I have to get a Kyosho M3 with Serpent steerblocks, Serpent clutch, Serpent tank and a Mugen gearbox. And ofcourse a Collari engine.

Then it is up to you if you can make it to a winner and that is a difficult task. Some brands were using harder plastic you can not get, the engines running in the final are far away from the consumer version and you will never know all other secrets. And beside that, most of us do not have the driving skils of Collari....

Mugen is wise to buy. It is worldwide supported and the car is strong, that is making my choice driving Mugen.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:58 AM
Tech Adept

and Kyosho is not?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:32 AM
occ
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Roelof
Also Collari's car had some (loads of) parts from other brands.

It is not wise to determ your choice on the base of what wins the WC. I know the slogan "what wins on sunday sels on monday" but if I have to follow this I have to get a Kyosho M3 with Serpent steerblocks, Serpent clutch, Serpent tank and a Mugen gearbox. And ofcourse a Collari engine.

Then it is up to you if you can make it to a winner and that is a difficult task. Some brands were using harder plastic you can not get, the engines running in the final are far away from the consumer version and you will never know all other secrets. And beside that, most of us do not have the driving skils of Collari....

Mugen is wise to buy. It is worldwide supported and the car is strong, that is making my choice driving Mugen.
I believe all the top brand cars are just as good each other these days. Its just a matter of being able to get the best out of them when it counts. Also being able to drive them helps a lot.

Btw: How come you didn't race Roelof? And why didn't John Ermen race?
Old 08-24-2009, 03:47 AM
V12
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Josh Cyrul
................. to finally bring a 1/10 or 1/8 WC home to the US. ........
when Collari retires.

I think this WC has shown again there is no driver who could beat Collari at the A-Main overall. Everybody was wrong on his real potential until he showed it when it was time for it.
Maybe for next WC itīs better presenting Collari the No. 1 trophy at the beginning and then let the rest of the field battling out the WC. (Just fun)
Old 08-24-2009, 04:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by V12
when Collari retires.

I think this WC has shown again there is no driver who could beat Collari at the A-Main overall. Everybody was wrong on his real potential until he showed it when it was time for it.
Maybe for next WC itīs better presenting Collari the No. 1 trophy at the beginning and then let the rest of the field battling out the WC. (Just fun)
Well, i don't know about it. In Argentina 2 years ago it wasn't all that clear. In the US, engines run totally different and the tracks are different. Collari has to adjust for it and get experience. I'm sure he'll do well, but make it as easy as this time, i don't know....
Old 08-24-2009, 05:05 AM
Tech Regular

@Roelof

You made some good points in your last post. It is clear to me that the car alone will not make a world champ. But some items are "must haves", without them you can not run the required pace. Even Lamberto would not win nowadays with a Protoform Lola T580 body or a Serpent Vector.

From looking at Swaugers car, it looks that most of us guys have the technical package (Car with minimal mods, Zytec body, Enneti tyres) and only our skills are limiting our lap times. This is something that raises my motivation level, because when I first looked at Pietsch's car I thought thats not longer a MRX-4 with all those mods. But in the final, Swauger was just as fast.

The engine is a different story. A Nova works mill is for sure faster then the stuff we buy from online shops, but by dropping another 150 dollar you can get a Murnan which should be close. Then you have everything you need!

What do you think, are there other secrets which are not so obvious?

Regards, Stefan
Old 08-24-2009, 05:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Short clip of the Winning Laps

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:24 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by occ
Btw: How come you didn't race Roelof? And why didn't John Ermen race?
Several reasons....
- Holland was listed for only 5 to 6 places, in the dutch ranking I was on the 10th position to go and normally it was clear I had no chance.
- I was not on time in februari to arrange my hollidays also not sure if I could go so in august I could not get the days off.

I decided to take myself off the list. Only in the last 2 moths it was clear some were dropping out and we did get more places but my job did not let me and it was to short to arrange the trip (budget, hotel etc).
Maybe next time. Then it will be far away so there is less interest from most drivers.

Why Ermen did not go I do not know.

Originally Posted by fulcrum2
@Roelof

What do you think, are there other secrets which are not so obvious?

Regards, Stefan
Most tires come directly from the factory, fresher than that you can never have, and you know the tire is making the most part of the car handeling.
But with the engine you can think of lightweigt crankshafts, special piston aluminium and different glowplugs. On such a level it is easy to think that they will use special custom made engines as it is normal in many racing sports.

Do not get me wrong, Collari and Pietsch did a great job but in a way as factory drivers they are not promoting the car as it should be.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Everybody is talking about cars (different, modified ect), engines (factory, modified etc). All this been changed over the years, but one thing, nobody mentioned is radio, it is stick radio, not pistol grip and this can play big portion of winning (prove if I am wromg). Never been chaged- Lamberto always use stick radio.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by EdwardN
Everybody is talking about cars (different, modified ect), engines (factory, modified etc). All this been changed over the years, but one thing, nobody mentioned is radio, it is stick radio, not pistol grip and this can play big portion of winning (prove if I am wromg). Never been chaged- Lamberto always use stick radio.
Just driver preference. Many Europeans use stick. Nearly all Americans (and most of the rest of the world) use pistol grip.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.