R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 01-15-2004, 04:19 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Default What to do with servo wires?>

I have built a serpent 705 and the car doesnt use a radio box so i have all these long servo wires i have cable tied around the steering servo. How has everyone else taken car of their servo wires? Is it safe to cut and shorten them?
bleach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 05:21 AM   #2
Tech Rookie

of course you can cut them, just make sure you don't make any faults (red on yellow or something like that)
-Nitrohead- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 05:29 AM   #3
Tech Master

Default Re: What to do with servo wires?>

Quote:
Originally posted by bleach1
I have built a serpent 705 and the car doesnt use a radio box so i have all these long servo wires i have cable tied around the steering servo. How has everyone else taken car of their servo wires? Is it safe to cut and shorten them?
You can cut them short, but i think no need for you to cut it, just fold it and tie it with a zip tie. bundle them together and 'store' them under your radio tray between your tank and the battery pack. make sure the wires are not 'grinded' by the front diff or blocking the servo saver movement.

this is one issue / problem serpent need to consider when they design a new car after 710... coz in 710 also they havent solve this problem yet. plus the location for on/off switch...

mop
mop_iko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 05:55 AM   #4
Tech Regular

The best thing to do is unscrew the bottom cover of the servo, de-solder the leads, cut them to length and re-solder them back in place. No mess, no fuss.
KMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 08:24 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

For me this is the hardest part of installing the electronics. I swap my electronics alot so I dont want to cut my wires shorter. I usually bundle up the wire with zip ties somewhere out of the way on the car. It gets pretty hard when you run a failsafe and all that good stuff. Just make sure you keep the wires away from servo arms and motor mounts...I had a battery short out because the hot chassis melted the wires.
Turbo9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 10:01 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Quote:
The best thing to do is unscrew the bottom cover of the servo, de-solder the leads, cut them to length and re-solder them back in place. No mess, no fuss.
Providing they do not damage the board or link solder joints in the process.

Personally I do shorten my pigtails to keep wiring neat and clean, but if you are not an accomplished solderer with adequate equipemnt, you run the risk of ruining the servo by messing up the board or pigtail.
NitroJohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 10:12 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Profoxcg

so there is no place to put an on/off switch? -- what am I going to do ?!
Profoxcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 03:00 PM   #8
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Quote:
so there is no place to put an on/off switch? -- what am I going to do ?!
You can zip-tie, superglue, shoe-goo or shrinkwrap the on/off switch to the throttle servo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg picture 134.jpg (51.6 KB, 233 views)
PUNISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2004, 08:14 PM   #9
Tech Master

Default Re: What to do with servo wires?>

Quote:
Do not cut or re-solder the wires ... you may be asking for trouble unless you have a TRS (throttle return spring). Just bundle it up neatly and cable tie it but remember to also secure the bundle so that it does not drop near the chassis or below it!
tIANcI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 08:14 AM   #10
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: What to do with servo wires?>

www.servocity.com

sells the bits to shorten the wires without soldering. i sent a email to ppurchase these items but their service for OS customers isn't that good! i sent around 4 emails stating a order reminding etc and still haven't recieved any products even after they seemed to confirm it.
VenomWorldOrder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2004, 09:04 AM   #11
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Default Re: Re: Re: What to do with servo wires?>

Quote:
Originally posted by VenomWorldOrder
www.servocity.com

sells the bits to shorten the wires without soldering. i sent a email to ppurchase these items but their service for OS customers isn't that good! i sent around 4 emails stating a order reminding etc and still haven't recieved any products even after they seemed to confirm it.
this?

Manticore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 02:34 AM   #12
Tech Adept

Ok here was my eventual solution to my servo wire problem with the 705. I tried to tie everything down with zip ties. I could only fit my relativly large hitec reciever in a position where it sticks out a fair bit. Any advice on how to protect it?

Last edited by bleach1; 01-24-2004 at 02:55 AM.
bleach1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 02:55 AM   #13
Tech Elite

Thumbs down

Quote:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/bleach1/705wires.jpg
this link works....

UOOHH! UGLY! a mate i race with told me today that dick smiths in australia sells the servo plug ends (the metal components in the pic that manticore posted) so you can then cut the wire and sorten it from the plastic connector peice.
Old 01-26-2004, 06:04 AM   #14
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Profoxcg
Talking cool, thanks for the info

I was able to get the connector replacements at my local store, but it was not as cheap as in the website. I am going to try to get all that sort out tonight. =) I want to start the break in of my engine this week so its ready for some saturday practice.
Profoxcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 03:40 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally posted by VenomWorldOrder
this link works....

UOOHH! UGLY! a mate i race with told me today that dick smiths in australia sells the servo plug ends (the metal components in the pic that manticore posted) so you can then cut the wire and sorten it from the plastic connector peice.
i've purchased the parts i talk about above at dick smiths. they are pcb matrix sockets. they fit......kind of. there is a certain section that is different (the part on the metal connector that is exposed on the plastic cover that sits infront of the plastic flap) this peice is longer than standard. it fits but not too well.

verdict. try it. it will work but won't fit perfect. if anyone in australia can get servocity to answer your emails AND SEND YOU THE PROIDUCTS EMAIL OR PM ME.