R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 07-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Opinion on NTC3-FT

can this car still be competitive with todays new cars?
GT2RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Tech Master

TC-3 is a good car to learn how to set a car up and how to drive , parts are also cheap and can usually be found in you neighbohood hobby shop but the TC-3 has some short comings that the factory need to address. One of those short comings is the material that the diff gears are made out of will not stand upto the high power output of todays modified top of the line motors, you will be stripping diff gears all day long!!
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

ok thanks for the info. im not new to rc and can drive. i just havent done any on-road yet and dont want to spend money on a car im not gonna have a chance with. im hope,n associated comes out with some NTC-5 or something like that soon. lol thanks for the reply man.
OFNA MBX CUSTOM
Old 07-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Tech Master

Since you are not new to onroad and you have some tuning driving skills maybe you should check out some of the bargains on e-bay . A slightly used Mugen, Serpent or V1RRR might be what you are ready for. I have a V1RRR and it is smooth as silk handles very well even better than my Nitro TC-3 and it handled good. The only draw back with the cars I listed is you usually have to mail order replacment parts. To get around that I usually order extra parts or try to anticipate which parts might break.
nitrohead5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #5
Tech Rookie

O.k. Thanks for the info.
OFNA MBX CUSTOM
Old 07-18-2009, 06:59 AM   #6
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to BLKNOTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrohead5300 View Post
Since you are not new to onroad and you have some tuning driving skills maybe you should check out some of the bargains on e-bay . A slightly used Mugen, Serpent or V1RRR might be what you are ready for. I have a V1RRR and it is smooth as silk handles very well even better than my Nitro TC-3 and it handled good. The only draw back with the cars I listed is you usually have to mail order replacment parts. To get around that I usually order extra parts or try to anticipate which parts might break.
Exactly, I would lean towards a Mugen as they are crazy strong and can gang with the best of them, but like the other guy said any of the listed will have you running for the flag when you can put it all together.
Old 07-18-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2RS View Post
can this car still be competitive with todays new cars?
The direct answer to this question is no. Today's nitro touring cars are so much more advanced that you will only find yourself fustrated trying to compete.

If youre going to go racing I would recommend going with a new kit and building it yourself. This way you know the car and will know how to work on it come raceday. If you're just testing the waters then a used car is fine. Just remember the person you brought it from sold it for a reason.
jiml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #8
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys. i appreciate your input and, ill be getting something else to run. happy rc'ing to all of you.
OFNA MBX CUSTOM