R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-15-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 81
Default Advice on 1/8 Scale Car Balance Needed

What is the ideal balance point of an 1/8 Scale On-road car?

The Chassis is a Mugen MRX-4X

I believe it would be centered side to side along the long axis of the chassis.
But I'm not sure centered between the front and rear axle is correct or not.

This is my first 1/8 scale On-Road Car and want to do it right.

I have some ability to move some of my drive gear around, so thats why I'm asking.
(Out of respect for the Nitro Guys I'm not sayng how I can "move my drive gear around")

Thanks in Advance
everything_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Corona Ca.
Posts: 2,834
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default 1/8th car

Quote:
Originally Posted by everything_rc View Post
What is the ideal balance point of an 1/8 Scale On-road car?

The Chassis is a Mugen MRX-4X

I believe it would be centered side to side along the long axis of the chassis.
But I'm not sure centered between the front and rear axle is correct or not.

This is my first 1/8 scale On-Road Car and want to do it right.

I have some ability to move some of my drive gear around, so thats why I'm asking.
(Out of respect for the Nitro Guys I'm not sayng how I can "move my drive gear around")

Thanks in Advance
Best way to do this is get the Hudy set-up station and set the tweak. This will balance out the chassis. They have cheaper set up stations, but you can get it right on the money with the Hudy station
__________________
[COLOR="Red"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][/COLOR]BRC358http://www.kamikazercracing.com
nearest barstool
brc358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 08:20 PM   #3
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

He's not talking about tweak, he's asking about front/rear weight bias.

You are correct, centered or 50/50 is not what you want. You want it shifted towards the rear. Can't tell you how much though as I have never measured it.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:47 AM   #4
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 81
Default

You got it, what I'm asking is;

What is the correct front/rear weight bias of a 1/8 scale Nitro On Road Car??

Thanks

Kevin P.
everything_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:34 AM   #5
avs
Tech Master
 
avs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,175
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by everything_rc View Post
You got it, what I'm asking is;

What is the correct front/rear weight bias of a 1/8 scale Nitro On Road Car??

Thanks

Kevin P.
i don't think there is 1 answer. instead you might think of this as a tuning option.

if you are underweight and need to add some lead, then consider putting it under fuel tank to rotate harder, or maybe in front on the bumper to slow down the rotation. this is more personal taste and track condition dependent.
avs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #6
Tech Champion
 
Roelof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 6,290
Send a message via ICQ to Roelof
Default

My old car with heavy servo's, my new car does have some lighter servo's and makes about 28 gram difference

__________________
The quality of an answer comes with the quality of the question.
Roelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:52 AM   #7
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 271
Send a message via Yahoo to sheeley
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by avs View Post
i don't think there is 1 answer. instead you might think of this as a tuning option.

if you are underweight and need to add some lead, then consider putting it under fuel tank to rotate harder, or maybe in front on the bumper to slow down the rotation. this is more personal taste and track condition dependent.
I agree with AVS that there is no correct place to put weight and this falls under car set up theory. I like to keep wieght low and towards the rear of the car for less weight to turn and quicker repsonse.
sheeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 271
Send a message via Yahoo to sheeley
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roelof View Post
My old car with heavy servo's, my new car does have some lighter servo's and makes about 28 gram difference

I see you put a roller above your front pully. I did the same and can now go all year on a front belt
sheeley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:39 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 81
Default

Thanks Guys,

Here is the scoop about what I'm after.

I'm building a Brushless Lipo Mugen MRX-4X and was just looking for a target front/rear weight bias. I will have the ability to adjust some, but since I've never had a 1/8 scale nitro car, I don't know what the front/rear bias is on a race ready good handling car. Just looking for someone to balance their car and give me some suggestion on where to start.

Thanks in Advance to anyone who can offer this kind of help.

Thanks

Kevin P.
everything_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
Tech Lord
 
wingracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 12,861
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

Look at the numbers on Roelof's post. that would be a good place to start.
__________________
Sean. Certified speed crazed mowron.
Team Shepherd USA
www.ashfordhobby.com
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Corona Ca.
Posts: 2,834
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default car balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by everything_rc View Post
Thanks Guys,

Here is the scoop about what I'm after.

I'm building a Brushless Lipo Mugen MRX-4X and was just looking for a target front/rear weight bias. I will have the ability to adjust some, but since I've never had a 1/8 scale nitro car, I don't know what the front/rear bias is on a race ready good handling car. Just looking for someone to balance their car and give me some suggestion on where to start.

Thanks in Advance to anyone who can offer this kind of help.

Thanks

Kevin P.
I saw a guy drive a brushless Evolva at our local track about 2 weeks ago, and I was very impressed with the speed and power. He was still working out the handling issues, as the car pushed hard in the corners, and was so light in the front end it would lift on the backstraight. I am sure he will work out the problems, and hopefully these brushless 1/8th scale will take off.
Are you converting the car yourself, or using one of the new conversion kits that I have heard about. I have a spare Evolva that I have been thinking about converting to electric.
__________________
[COLOR="Red"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][/FONT][/COLOR]BRC358http://www.kamikazercracing.com
nearest barstool
brc358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:14 PM   #12
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 81
Default

Quote:
Are you converting the car yourself, or using one of the new conversion kits that I have heard about. I have a spare Evolva that I have been thinking about converting to electric.
Well I'm doing this myself, with the addition of a stub shaft purchsed from RC Monster that allows the use of the two speed pinions with a brushless motor with 5mm shaft.

I've converted a few Offroad cars to brushless electric, and I can confirm the power and speed, not to mention the power control offered by a electric over nitro. Don't get me wrong I'm just starting to race Nitro Offroad with a Mugen MBX6T and now I "get" nitro, but my first love is fast electric.

The reason for my post was to keep away from the same problem the guy you know who had with the push, I'm sure I can get the 50/50 front to rear weight balance.

I'll post some stuff once testing begins. I'm almost done with the car, just another couple nights, an a micro digital servo for the brakes and I'm ready to test.

Thanks
everything_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:19 PM   #13
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 81
Default

Roelof,

Thanks for the time and effort getting me the great answer.

Sorry for the delay in my thanks, I just noticed the scales in your picture, guess I need to pay more attention

Thanks Again

Kevin P.
everything_rc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 05:56 AM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net