Wiki Posts
Search

NTC3+ Motor

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default NTC3+ Motor

Just normal driving last night all of a sudden the car stops and i can hear it over revving and not going anywhere, walk all the way across the parking lot (of course ) and notice that the spurs aren't moving together, i shut the car off and haul it back to my pit box aka my trunk and notice that the motor had shifted over causing the 1st gear spur to disengage from the clutch bell. Is this at all normal? Will locktite hold up to the presumed heat in the motor mounts?
Old 07-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

This is the first time I ever heard of this happening, but I'm also not surprised if the motor mount screws were installed w/o thread lock.

A little dab of blue (removable) thread lock should keep the screws tight while operating your car.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Tech Master

theres threadlock on them so im not sure what cause it, i want to take a look at hte clutch and spurs to make sure theres no damage, the motor is already out so the clutch bell is a piece of cake but i dont want to rip half the car apart to get at the spurs if i only have to pull a bit, what do i need to do to get at/change the spur gears on the ntc3+ ?
Old 07-14-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Monteman
theres threadlock on them so im not sure what cause it, i want to take a look at hte clutch and spurs to make sure theres no damage, the motor is already out so the clutch bell is a piece of cake but i dont want to rip half the car apart to get at the spurs if i only have to pull a bit, what do i need to do to get at/change the spur gears on the ntc3+ ?
The fastest way is to take the rear shock tower loose from the diff case (3 screws). Then take the 6 screws that hold the diff case together, then take the 2 screws out that go in front of the two speed, (there is a piece that goes across the out drive piece there that has just 2 screws- u shaped) then just lift the diff case apart, you might not even have to take the rear of it all the way up just the front to get the small gear out of the diff case that is attached to the two speed. It is real simple. You can do it in about if not less than 5 minutes.

Make sure that you oil the bearings in the clutch bell before you put them back in and make sure there is no grit between the motor mounts and the chassis. That motor should have never moved if it was tight, unless there was some grit that gave way to make it loose. I will try and find the car break down and put a link up here for you. Also the big spur gear is on a oneway bearing and it needs to be oiled fairly often also, depending on how much you run and how hard.

Hope this helps, if not you can keep posting and we will continue to try and help.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:34 PM
Tech Fanatic

Here you go:

http://aedownloads.com/downloads/man...c3_manuala.pdf

Check out pages 7 & 8. They show most of what I was talking about. Even if it shows it during building you don't have to take it that far down. As a matter of fact you can get the two speed out without removing the motor.
Old 07-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Tech Master

Sweet thanks dude, for whatever reason i didnt get that book with my car. More reason to believe my NIB ntc3+ was not NIB. Manual missing and fuel lines all chopped up.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Monteman
Sweet thanks dude, for whatever reason i didnt get that book with my car. More reason to believe my NIB ntc3+ was not NIB. Manual missing and fuel lines all chopped up.
You are more than welcome. Glad I could help. I don't know about you but I download manuals for all the cars I get in case something happens, it also lets you get in there for the factory guys setups and option parts.