Wiki Posts
Search

Shepherd V8 '09

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 07:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avs
what do you mean by 'rubber belt', is that the low friction optional type?

there is a new belt, which by the way seems almost too long, it started with the midshaft adjusted max aft and it still had play.
That's the long belt for the new pulleys. The fronts are bigger, 18/27 instead of 16/24 so you need a longer belt. Also you would want the new short side belt if running the larger front pulleys but neither are available in low friction yet. That's why a lot of people (including me) are running all the new pulleys EXCEPT for the front ones. Just slap an aluminum 16 on it and rock and roll.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:18 AM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
That's the long belt for the new pulleys. The fronts are bigger, 18/27 instead of 16/24 so you need a longer belt. Also you would want the new short side belt if running the larger front pulleys but neither are available in low friction yet. That's why a lot of people (including me) are running all the new pulleys EXCEPT for the front ones. Just slap an aluminum 16 on it and rock and roll.
understood, i put on the 18/27 combination and the new belt is too long. i used all the available adjustment with a fresh belt and there is still ample slack (the outer surface of the belt is rubbing on the chassis, but no apparent skipping)
Old 07-31-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avs
understood, i put on the 18/27 combination and the new belt is too long. i used all the available adjustment with a fresh belt and there is still ample slack (the outer surface of the belt is rubbing on the chassis, but no apparent skipping)
It doesn't need to be as tight as the smaller pulleys. That is why you will also want the short side belt.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:35 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

is the serpent 966 clutch shoe compatible with the velox v8 clutch shoe? can it fit inside the velox clutch?
Old 07-31-2010, 10:27 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by BigBellyCat
is the serpent 966 clutch shoe compatible with the velox v8 clutch shoe? can it fit inside the velox clutch?
It can fit but you would need to alter the holes.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:23 AM
Tech Regular

I just would like to let everyone know that after 5 years of being out of the 1/8 scale races, the Velox is a very good welcome to the world of speed. I followed the setup from the advise given here and it was very stable and the speed was very impressive for me. I didnt have to change much parameters and the car handled very well for my taste. The pulleys held up well to the racing and the new pulleys will be my first upgrade.
Qualified in the B-mains and told myself it was a good return after such a long time and with a brand new spanking car.
Sometimes I think i should be tinkering with the car whole day, but the simple and unbreakable design made me focus more on the driving.
Thank you Team Shepherd for all your help in my races. I'm convinced I made the right choice for returning to 1/8 cars

Preparing for the next race...
Old 08-01-2010, 08:58 AM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i think serpent clutches have all been 3pin. the older mugen is a 4pin should drop in. (H0773 is 4pin, H0779 is the newer 3pin) the yellow version is popular.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Tech Regular

I've done the run-in of the Velox and after almost 1hr of racing and two hours of running, i'm in the process of cleaning it. I cant help notice that there is a lot of fuel residue and oil at the back of the fuel tank where the snap pin is located. I thought it was the exhaust fumes just building up on the radio deck, but the car comes off soaked with fuel residue until the oil drips off the fuel tank. I thought the fuel tank might be leaking but i pressure tested it and there was no leaks...
I took a look at the cooling head and the glow plug area but these areas are clear of fuel and oil residue. The engine doesnt seem to have any oily leaks. If the engine is still tuned 'rich' shouldnt most of the oil be on the inside of the body and not collect at the back of the fuel tank?
Has BP taken up residence inside my car?
Old 08-04-2010, 02:15 PM
Suspended

Yeaaahhhh, you should use concrete to close the hole
Check the nitro-out nipple, tighten it.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Tech Regular

can i seal up the fuel nipple with gasket sealer? just to secure the tap and make no more air/fuel leaks. Does this affect engine performance with a leaky fuel nipple? it just makes the car a bit messy only?
Old 08-05-2010, 04:16 AM
Suspended

can i seal up the fuel nipple with gasket sealer? just to secure the tap and make no more air/fuel leaks. Does this affect engine performance with a leaky fuel nipple? it just makes the car a bit messy only?
Sealing up is not needed, when tightend its sealed. We normally check for leaks by blowing on one tube while holding the other closed, you will sence leaks if there are any. It will affect engine performance (running lean) when you have a leak.

Succes!
Old 08-05-2010, 06:59 AM
Tech Fanatic

I've done the run-in of the Velox and after almost 1hr of racing and two hours of running, i'm in the process of cleaning it. I cant help notice that there is a lot of fuel residue and oil at the back of the fuel tank where the snap pin is located. I thought it was the exhaust fumes just building up on the radio deck, but the car comes off soaked with fuel residue until the oil drips off the fuel tank. I thought the fuel tank might be leaking but i pressure tested it and there was no leaks...
I took a look at the cooling head and the glow plug area but these areas are clear of fuel and oil residue. The engine doesnt seem to have any oily leaks. If the engine is still tuned 'rich' shouldnt most of the oil be on the inside of the body and not collect at the back of the fuel tank?
Easy test to change a new one and see.
I had 2 tanks fail on that place, one was caused by crashing into a fence, one was factory defects from the first batch this cost me big time.... engine run lean blow plug costed me 2 Nova 359 Tuned!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Tech Regular

I'm so peeved. Not only did I have to tighten up the fuel nipple, there was a lot of plastic 'bits and pieces' inside the fuel nipple, so effectively it was clogged up with a lot of junk!!! I dont know how the engine still managed to get its fuel supply and still run well.
I changed the fuel nipple and secured it tight and snug and for extra security layered the edges of the fuel nipple with fuel resistant silicone. Guess I'll have to go run the velox again and see if theres any difference in performance...
Old 08-05-2010, 08:57 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I just would like to let everyone know that after 5 years of being out of the 1/8 scale races, the Velox is a very good welcome to the world of speed. I followed the setup from the advise given here and it was very stable and the speed was very impressive for me. I didnt have to change much parameters and the car handled very well for my taste. The pulleys held up well to the racing and the new pulleys will be my first upgrade.
Qualified in the B-mains and told myself it was a good return after such a long time and with a brand new spanking car.
Sometimes I think i should be tinkering with the car whole day, but the simple and unbreakable design made me focus more on the driving.
Thank you Team Shepherd for all your help in my races. I'm convinced I made the right choice for returning to 1/8 cars

Preparing for the next race...
So u d 1 sitting with miri guys,well u such friendly guy,n 1st time in brunei ur pitcrew is girl,ehe..so u in b-main with me jst no luck running wit u cos raining..haha..so meet u nxt time
Old 08-05-2010, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by g-wan
So u d 1 sitting with miri guys,well u such friendly guy,n 1st time in brunei ur pitcrew is girl,ehe..so u in b-main with me jst no luck running wit u cos raining..haha..so meet u nxt time
That was me. I'm still tuning up the Velox and finding out a lot more things to improve the durability of the platform i'm using. Sad it was raining coz I really wanted to go up against the 966s, the Kyoshos and fellow Velox racers. Anyway, lets see after Raya we just get together and throw together a fun race.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.