Search

Shepherd V8 '09

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 04:46 AM
avs
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BigBellyCat
I'm finally done testing the different setups for my Velox in preparation for my country's first 1/8 onroad race in a looong time. I cant compare laptimes to other drivers since i'm alone but its consistently hitting the corners EVERY time. Very smooth and fast. How will it stack up against the Evolva, The mugens and the Serpents?

Wish me luck

As I was looking over the car today, I noticed the rear body posts that were attached to the rear uprights had a lot of 'play'. I know i can take out this play by using thin shims either teflon or steel. I'm wondering what effect does this have on the body and the car's performance?

I read somewhere that if the 1/8 body is too tight fitting around all 4 body posts, any crash or bump will tweak the chassis. Is this true? Does the rear body post have to be 'sloppy' or can I reinforce the front and rear body posts with graphite braces?

By the way, i'm using two types of bodies the Protoform 909 and the LOLA. I'm sticking to the LOLA as its more predictable on the straights. The 909 seems a bit 'wandering'...or maybe its just me?
how are you mounting the 909, it is common to raise the rear end (5 to 10mm). i think you will like the increased downforce. it seems very stable with medium-high grip levels, but i have not tried it on a low bite track condition.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:29 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by avs
how are you mounting the 909, it is common to raise the rear end (5 to 10mm). i think you will like the increased downforce. it seems very stable with medium-high grip levels, but i have not tried it on a low bite track condition.
Exactly right. I ran the 909 at the Nats (very low grip) and it was fantastic. I used the Shepherd rear extenders all the way up and pretty far forward (I think it is about 20mm) and gave great steering with reasonable stability.

I was having a weird problem on the straight early on. The only bump on the whole track was about 2/3rds of the way down the straight. My car always wanted to go left over this bump. It was weird as no one else seemed to be doing this but I was able to drive with it that way. After the first couple qualifiers I added a little more caster as the grip came up just a bit and the problem went away. Straight as an arrow over the bump after that.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:43 AM
avs
Tech Master

Originally Posted by avs
hey all, i guess i wasn't paying close enough attention, when i went to install the '09 pulley set, i found the new parts use a square section adapter. so to install the new pulley set i need to:
replace the 3 603501 with 603511 adapters.
but i don't see a '09 version for the rear adapter 603504.

is the single '09 part now used in all 4 places?
fyi, i looked on the shepherd website and the instruction manual is for the '08 car. but i did find an anouncement for an aluminum servo saver that is just released.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:49 PM
avs
Tech Master

Originally Posted by avs
hey all, i guess i wasn't paying close enough attention, when i went to install the '09 pulley set, i found the new parts use a square section adapter. so to install the new pulley set i need to:
replace the 3 603501 with 603511 adapters.
but i don't see a '09 version for the rear adapter 603504.

is the single '09 part now used in all 4 places?
Robert Poage at Ashford was kind enough to point me to the 900010 pulleys+adaptors kit. apparently the adaptors are not available seperately. however, the combined upgrade is the more cost effective way to go.

oh well, now i have spare plastic parts.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:09 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by avs
Robert Poage at Ashford was kind enough to point me to the 900010 pulleys+adaptors kit. apparently the adaptors are not available seperately. however, the combined upgrade is the more cost effective way to go.

oh well, now i have spare plastic parts.
I know that they are also sold seperately: 603511 There are even Light Weight versions as option.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wingracer
Exactly right. I ran the 909 at the Nats (very low grip) and it was fantastic. I used the Shepherd rear extenders all the way up and pretty far forward (I think it is about 20mm) and gave great steering with reasonable stability.

I was having a weird problem on the straight early on. The only bump on the whole track was about 2/3rds of the way down the straight. My car always wanted to go left over this bump. It was weird as no one else seemed to be doing this but I was able to drive with it that way. After the first couple qualifiers I added a little more caster as the grip came up just a bit and the problem went away. Straight as an arrow over the bump after that.
Are you talking about rear body post extenders? I'm currently using the stock body posts and can secure the body. If this is another tuning aid, i'l glady try it to see if it makes any difference to the handling on the 909. I dont have a handling issue using either the LOLA or 909 so if she skips over a bump, she doesnt go like a squirrel. Just tacks straight like an arrow
Old 06-30-2010, 12:28 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by BigBellyCat
Are you talking about rear body post extenders?
Yes
Old 06-30-2010, 12:46 AM
Tech Regular

Yes
Thanks, I have a set but I think i'l experiment a bit more on the 909 and LOLA. Has anyone seen the posting for the 'loose' rear body supports? Would a 'tightly' setup rear body posts tweak the car chassis in the event of a crash?

How much of a difference do interior 'body stiffeners' do to 1/8 bodies? I can see the benefit on the exhaust side of the body, to help deflect the bashing force if you get T-boned. I'm currently only using aluminum tape and foam body rings to cushion the body. Is that enough?
Old 06-30-2010, 04:24 PM
avs
Tech Master

Originally Posted by PMSorber
I know that they are also sold seperately: 603511 There are even Light Weight versions as option.
thanks, i mispoke, they were not available at ashford. Robert generally has excellent inventory.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:35 PM
Tech Regular

Whats the general setting for belt tensioners? I set my rear belt to 'loose' and the front belt 'loose' but either belt does not skip. For the middle belt, how tight must i set it? I'm going to use the stock belts for the qualifiers and mains or should i swap out the belts before the mains?

Even if the mains is just 30mins long, will they be able to handle the stress? I checked my belts and pulleys, no visible sign of damage. Are belts supposed to stretch after use? I noticed that when the car was brand new, I was able to roll the chassis with ease along a flat surface. Now with some run time and bout 3hrs of testing, the car rolls along much smoother.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:18 PM
avs
Tech Master

i am finally getting around to installing the CEFX radio plate, but i have airtronics gear. has anybody been able to install an airtronics steering servo?

it seems the output shaft is too far off center of the servo body so that the horn fouls the tank. is there a secret trick that i am just not seeing?

judging from pictures Josh put up last summer, it almost looks like the output shaft is located in the forward position, but that is so far forward the link becomes very short.

thanks for any help with this.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:44 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by avs
judging from pictures Josh put up last summer, it almost looks like the output shaft is located in the forward position, but that is so far forward the link becomes very short.
That's what you need to do. The shaft gets mounted forward and you use a short turnbuckle.
Old 07-04-2010, 10:11 AM
avs
Tech Master

That's what you need to do. The shaft gets mounted forward and you use a short turnbuckle.

Last edited by avs; 07-08-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:16 PM
avs
Tech Master

Originally Posted by MJSGas
Tony,
I used the Shepherd post extensions.
If you have anyother questions, please feel free to ask.
Mark Sweeney
Shepherd USA/CEFX
Hi Mark,

thanks for the offer, are you using the CEFX radio plate? if so, how long is the link you have from the horn to servo-saver?

i assume this setup all fits nicely with a ko servo, using the dimensions for a ko servo. i end up with a 22mm(center to center) long link. does this sound correct?

i am using the original shepherd servo saver and steering servo posts.
Old 07-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by avs
Hi Mark,

thanks for the offer, are you using the CEFX radio plate? if so, how long is the link you have from the horn to servo-saver?

i assume this setup all fits nicely with a ko servo, using the dimensions for a ko servo. i end up with a 22mm(center to center) long link. does this sound correct?

i am using the original shepherd servo saver and steering servo posts.
Tony,

I will post a pics with a dimension for you tomorrow.

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.