R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-03-2010, 06:47 PM   #196
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBellyCat View Post
The 1/8 class in Brunei Darussalam mostly consists of 'older' RC drivers. We just had our FEMCA 1/10 EP Touring race here.
There isnt any traction compound available here, i've tried Paragon (back in the 90s) but it wore off the foams.
Hello,

I would recommend starting with the standard setup from the Shepherd website.
If you have any questions,please feel free to ask.

Good Luck,
Mark Sweeney
Shepherd USA/CEFX
MJSGas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 12:18 AM   #197
Tech Regular

Send a message via MSN to PMSorber
Default setup

Quote:
The 1/8 class in Brunei Darussalam mostly consists of 'older' RC drivers. We just had our FEMCA 1/10 EP Touring race here.
There isnt any traction compound available here, i've tried Paragon (back in the 90s) but it wore off the foams.
This is the normal setup we use on low-grip tracks, medium technical.

http://www.team-shepherd.nl/images/s...010_REAL80.pdf
PMSorber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #198
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've run into a snag with the IDM tyres on the fronts of the Velox 08. the rear wheels snap on tight and secure but the front wheels doesnt have the quick change lever 'snap' on the wheel.

I'm wondering if this part of the wheels own design or is it meant to be that way. Would standard foams work or shall I try multi ring tyres?

Much appreciated on the setup above, will post my progress on the upcoming races
BigBellyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #199
Tech Regular

The medium sized track calls for 32F/35R tyres. I'm setup to use 37F/37R tyres, would this make a big difference in the handling. The A mains here will be up to 30mins long, so i hope tyre wear will not be an issue.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:40 PM   #200
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default velox

As far a tire wear you have to test the surface for tire wear,and adjust shore rating from there.MJSGAS has helped me alot with my setup ,listen to these guys on this thread and you will be very happy with the results.

Last edited by ltrdude; 06-04-2010 at 04:03 PM.
ltrdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #201
Tech Regular

Default Yes I am sure

Quote:
The medium sized track calls for 32F/35R tyres. I'm setup to use 37F/37R tyres, would this make a big difference in the handling. The A mains here will be up to 30mins long, so i hope tyre wear will not be an issue.
Sorry to say so but 37/37 will not work on a low grip high wear track, its faster to use 32/35 with a tyre change. In any case you should go for a one step softer front to have enough steering.

One option for the finals could be:

32Left-FR / 35Right-FR
35Left-RR / 37Right-RR

(counter-clock drive)

Regarding IDM-rims, sand/dremel off just a small bit of the quick-release sharp end.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:10 PM   #202
Tech Regular

Thanks for the info on the tyres, i'l make sure to stock up on 32s,35s tyres. testing will begin this weekend.
Btw, would u choose a Lola body or Protoform's 909? The lexan on the 909 seems thicker.

If trimming the quick change levers on the front axle will get them to 'snap' back on the wheels, would it still be secure? i'm choosing between Xceed and IDM tyres for pre-orders before the race.
Old 06-04-2010, 07:14 PM   #203
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the tyres, i'l make sure to stock up on 32s,35s tyres. testing will begin this weekend.
Btw, would u choose a Lola body or Protoform's 909? The lexan on the 909 seems thicker.
The 909 is excellent but make sure to mount it far enough forward for steering. 1mm too far back and it will NOT turn at speed.
wingracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 03:46 AM   #204
Tech Regular

Quote:

If trimming the quick change levers on the front axle will get them to 'snap' back on the wheels, would it still be secure? i'm choosing between Xceed and IDM tyres for pre-orders before the race.
Yes they will. One other option is to "bold" the front wheels, it provides a bit more steering. This is what we did when we used IDM rims. At the finals we installed the quick changes again.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:27 AM   #205
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMSorber View Post
Yes they will. One other option is to "bold" the front wheels, it provides a bit more steering. This is what we did when we used IDM rims. At the finals we installed the quick changes again.
"Bold" the wheels if its IDM rims? what are the procedures involved? I started playing with shim to see if i eliminate play in the fron oudrives or at least make sure that the drive pins are completely engaged with the quick change lever 'snap' on.
Will Serpent lock "nuts" work on the Velox axles, I'll try them when i get home.
Will adding some more weights increase traction? (trade off acceleration) I dont think i will be able to fully exploit the power of my engine on a tight technical track. Using stock pinions and 25% nitro. The white clutch engages superbly. How long can i run the car (1hr or 2hrs?) before i take a look at the clutch shoes and thrust bearing in the clutch?
I've cleaned out all the grease from the clutch bell housing and use black grease on the thrust bearing. So far this combo works really well. am i doing this right?
Old 06-05-2010, 01:38 PM   #206
Tech Regular

Default Answers

Quote:

Will Serpent lock "nuts" work on the Velox axles, I'll try them when i get home.

Will adding some more weights increase traction? (trade off acceleration)

The white clutch engages superbly. How long can i run the car (1hr or 2hrs?) before i take a look at the clutch shoes and thrust bearing in the clutch?

I've cleaned out all the grease from the clutch bell housing and use black grease on the thrust bearing. So far this combo works really well. am i doing this right?

1) The Serpent lock-nuts do not fit, ther tread is different. Shepherd has their own ones that fit, tip: use locktide (thats what I mean with bolts)

2) No adding weight, only if you are too light. Adding weight on wrong positions will be bad.

3) Clutch shoe (white) depends upon the clutch setting, normally we are able to use one for about 4 hours driving (total) The trust-bearing can be used for the whole season

Good luck!

Last edited by PMSorber; 06-05-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #207
Tech Regular

the race qualifiers will have 3 heats of 5minutes and the best heats will sort us out into the A-mains (30mins), B-mains (20mins) etc...
I may be able to use one set of tyres for all three heats or use two sets of tyres and interchange these within the 3 heats.
then use one set of brand new tyres for the A-mains.

There are brass weights at the front of the Velox, do i need to install them or run without them? I think there is no minimum weight stipulated for this race so i will try to run the lightest setup as possible. I do have titanium hardware for 50% of the screws.

Thanks for the expected life for the clutch shoe, i will monitor the shoes but will start with the white shoes as written in the setup.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:01 PM   #208
Tech Regular

Default Weight

Quote:
I may be able to use one set of tyres for all three heats or use two sets of tyres and interchange these within the 3 heats.
then use one set of brand new tyres for the A-mains.

There are brass weights at the front of the Velox, do i need to install them or run without them?
Try to use 2 sets for the qualifications and one for the finals if you can manage. We normally run a new sets every quali and mostly 2 during a final.
Regarding weight... install the 35gr in the front and I think you must install the 2 x 20 grams at each side in order to reach 2500 grams (EFRA) or what ever is needed for IFMAR-rules.
Old 06-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #209
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMSorber View Post
This is the normal setup we use on low-grip tracks, medium technical.

http://www.team-shepherd.nl/images/s...010_REAL80.pdf
Hi PM, I had a look at you set up for low traction, some questions please?
What does the radioplate tuning give you?
White rear on fornt?
350 on front for oil?
And what do you mean by rear side upper-front arm up?

Absolutely low this car found the reason for stripping gears, Kyosho first

Thank you!
Old 06-06-2010, 02:02 PM   #210
Tech Regular

Absolutely low this car found the reason for stripping gears, Kyosho first

Thank you![/QUOTE]

I dont understand what you mean by this. Stripping gears? Never had that happen to me. I own two 1/8 cars and never had to replace stripped pinion or spur gears in an entire season of racing