R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-26-2009, 09:15 PM   #1
Tech Adept

Default Have a problem.??

I have a hpi rs4 evo 3 and after awhile on running it wont stay running, any help would be great Thanks guys

Schuy.
calrosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by calrosse View Post
I have a hpi rs4 evo 3 and after awhile on running it wont stay running, any help would be great Thanks guys

Schuy.

You might have to give a bit more info than that. What motor is it? What temp is it when it cuts out? Is it blowing smoke? etc etc
Old 06-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #3
Tech Adept

The motor is the .15fe hpi motor. IT's like when i hit my brakes it dies. I don't know what temp it runs at i don't have a temp gun. Yes it is blowing smoke not when it is idling, but when i get on it she blows smoke.
Old 06-27-2009, 12:27 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Quote:
The motor is the .15fe hpi motor. IT's like when i hit my brakes it dies. I don't know what temp it runs at i don't have a temp gun. Yes it is blowing smoke not when it is idling, but when i get on it she blows smoke.
could be too lean ? is it blowing smoke ? or heaps of smoke (rich) . also see if your radio has end points, set the max travel through the radio. make sure also the throttle linkage is setup right, it may idle fine, accel good, but once brakes used, it maybe not set right , and closignthe throttle more to make it cut out while braking. best way to check , is turn your radio gear on, engine not running, try to close the linkage on the carb by hand, not radio, if it closes more, then its not setup right, or use your brakes and look at the carb, if it closes more under brakes, then put more spring tension on the carb linkage.
Serpent 811-TE REDs R5T
Pattojnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:34 AM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Or, just tighten your idle stop screw until it won't cut off when you hit the brakes. There should be 3 screws for adjustment on that carburator. One is near the throttle rotary valve and this is the low speed adjustment. The second should be visable from above the carburator (it will be at the highest point of the carb.) and this is the high speed adjustment. The third is the idle stop screw. It should be the hardest to reach between the back of the carb. and the engine. This screws only purpose is to limit how far the throttle closes. If the motor cuts off when you hit the brakes, the throttle is closing too far. Just tighten this screw a little at a time until it won't cut off anymore.

MINO Racing
JetMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:26 AM   #6
Tech Adept

Could also be your clutch, thrust bearing may be shot...

MY RIDE - MTX4R, MURNAN RBM3, RB R3, NOVA 2601 & 2630, TWISTER TIRES, MAXYS FUEL
MY OTHER RIDE - CRC GEN XL, TEKIN RS PRO, REDLINE 10.5, THUNDER POWER 1-CELL, AND AGAIN TWISTER TIRES
cdub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #7
Tech Adept

HHMMMMM........ I will check it out today. With The idle screw. It's not blowing a ton of smoke but it is blowing some. I will play with it and let you guys know what had happened. Thanks guys.

Thanks Schuyler.
Old 06-27-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
Tech Master

Quote:
HHMMMMM........ I will check it out today. With The idle screw. It's not blowing a ton of smoke but it is blowing some. I will play with it and let you guys know what had happened. Thanks guys.

Thanks Schuyler.

The idle screw should have nothing to do with the smoke comming out of your exhaust. Only your top,mid,low range needles will have an impact. I personally wouldn't touch the mid range if that motor has one.
Old 06-27-2009, 08:48 PM   #9
Tech Adept

Well thank you everyone that had helped me yesterday and today. I got it screaming now, She's like i have never seen before. It was awesome i am proud of myself i got running great, and then, and then, i broke the high needle flush with the carb base. STUPID. After i got it running good i went to take it back out and seen a guy i had done a job for and he wanted to look at the car, so i let him then he wanted to see it run, so i started it and drove it around and then i hit some fine pebbles and she spun went under a van, and a truck tire stop it with the carb. CRAZY. Well those are the brakes when you are new.
Thanks guys for helping me.

Schuyler....P.S. sorry so long but had to tell you the story.
Old 06-27-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Well thank you everyone that had helped me yesterday and today. I got it screaming now, She's like i have never seen before. It was awesome i am proud of myself i got running great, and then, and then, i broke the high needle flush with the carb base. STUPID. After i got it running good i went to take it back out and seen a guy i had done a job for and he wanted to look at the car, so i let him then he wanted to see it run, so i started it and drove it around and then i hit some fine pebbles and she spun went under a van, and a truck tire stop it with the carb. CRAZY. Well those are the brakes when you are new.

Or should you say you HAD it screaming Nah really you poor bugger. You should be able to buy a replacement carby but maybe now it's a good excuse to get a bigger, better motor
Old 06-28-2009, 08:49 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyles View Post
Or should you say you HAD it screaming Nah really you poor bugger. You should be able to buy a replacement carby but maybe now it's a good excuse to get a bigger, better motor
That was my thought exactly. I am thinking about a os motor. had one treated me good and i have heard good things about them too. So i am looking in to it. Thanks freestyles for feeling my pain, and oh yeah she was screaming.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #12
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
............Well those are the brakes when you are new.

Or lack there of...sorry for you mishap but its part of the program. Now get over to your LHS and get repair parts and get back out there.
Kyo83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:02 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyo83 View Post
get repair parts and get back out there.

That's my plan stan.....lol......jk. Hey i am going to save and get a os motor, and some hop up parts...........
Old 06-29-2009, 09:12 AM   #14
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

i see ur getting OS motor.. it wont disappoint u. anyway, enjoy racing
nazwenhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:20 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazwenhome View Post
i see ur getting OS motor.. it wont disappoint u. anyway, enjoy racing

Yep, and glad to hear it, i cant wait.........