Wiki Posts
Search

G4 or HPI R40???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 12:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default G4 or HPI R40???

hey guys i run electric touring but a buddy of mine is looking into getting a nitro car

you can always be safe and get a NTC3

which many people have at our local track but we are both curious to hear opinions about these two new models as they came out late last fall

i hear the G4 is a good car but doesnt always make it through the mains with longer race times and i know a guy that has a R40 and was having diff probs with it

any info would be helpful

thanks,
Chris08527
Old 12-23-2003, 12:26 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: G4 or HPI R40???

Originally posted by Chris08527
hey guys i run electric touring but a buddy of mine is looking into getting a nitro car

which many people have at our local track but we are both curious to hear opinions about these two new models as they came out late last fall

i hear the G4 is a good car but doesnt always make it through the mains with longer race times and i know a guy that has a R40 and was having diff probs with it

thanks,
Chris08527

Chris, I've tried both the NTC3 and the R40. The NTC3 is definitely a good car as far as performance goes but it's fragile for the everyday driver. If you are a good driver then you'd fly but if you can't avoid hitting something or being hit then its not worth it.

The R40 is more robust but its too "heavy" for me.

The G4 is good but as you've said, the steering rack is a little on the fragile side. Yes, I have one of these too.

If I were you, I'd go with the MTX3 or better still the new Serpent 710. These two are top performaning machines and definitely as robust as can be.

The 710 is the latest and greatest though.

Just my opinions ... I like trying them all out and for me they come as follows:

1- 710
2- MTX3
3- 705
4- everyting else
Old 12-23-2003, 03:07 PM
Tech Regular

I don't know how you recommend the 710 since its basically a totally unproven car. The few that do have it at this point are experiencing problems building it and no one is saying its easy to set up nor does anyone rave about the handling. so much for the latest and greatest.

I would never buy a Mugen due to a total lack of support for it in my area. In addition, in my opinion they just copy serpent and others.

I have a NTC3 and its plenty durable.

My R40 is also a very durable car and the 100 grams wont be noticed by 99.9999% of the drivers.

I would get the R40 over the G4 based on parts prices and availability.

Both the NTC3 and the R40 are a lot easier to work on maintenance wise than the other cars too.

In the end, I would recommend what there is a lot of local support for. If its both decide if you want a shaft or belt car. They are different and both have their pros and cons. There is plenty of threads on the shaft vs belt issue, if you need info on that use the search.

Good luck, both are good cars and you're sure to be happy with either.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:30 PM
Tech Initiate

I just finished putting together a 710, and even as an impulse pro owner, I got to say it was a challenge! Not because of the car itself, but because of how Serpent put the parts bags together. I spent a lot of time searching for parts, even went back to th e LHS and they found it after opening up another bag!
The car is awesome to built though. The technology and refined fit of the parts was impressive.
I can't wait to start running the car this weekend, but I am worried about hitting it and breaking anything!
Old 12-23-2003, 09:35 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 239 (100%+)
Default Re: G4 or HPI R40???

Originally posted by Chris08527

thanks,
Chris08527
How about the Schumacher R12? It is an awesome car

Last edited by Marcos.J; 07-29-2008 at 06:33 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:23 PM
Tech Adept

Hey guys,
Chris linked me to this, i'm the guy he posted it for.

Here's the situation, I sold my electric stuff and i'm going to run nitro this year. Our track is pretty forgiving, since it has rounded curbing, and rarely does anyone break, not even the 12 and under kids that drive full throttle 100% of the time, including with nitro cars.

If the 710, 705, mtx are extremely complicated they may not be right for me yet, as i have zero nitro or two-speed experience.

I prefer belt driven, and i like the gas tank in the center of the car, those are two things that drew me to the r40 or the g4.

The tc3 is a consideration because it's widely used, parts are the most plentiful (although the others aren't hard for me to get) and i would really know exactly what i'm getting.

I don't want to buy twice, so i will still consider the serpents.

Thanks,
Joe

edit: and just another note, seems i could get the g4 e-class overseas for $255 (team magic version), and looks like the serpent 710 is going to cost a whopping 400+, r40 for about 260, both the g4 and the r40 can be found for reasonable prices.

Last edited by 2000xp8; 12-24-2003 at 12:29 PM.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:41 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by treky11
I don't know how you recommend the 710 since its basically a totally unproven car.
Why did you get MTX-3 since at that time it was not proven yet? Also, does it take Hara to win with a R40 to make you buy one?

My point is, every car needs to start somewhere.

The few that do have it at this point are experiencing problems building it and no one is saying its easy to set up nor does anyone rave about the handling. so much for the latest and greatest.
I can tell you it drives like a dream out of the box with the stock settings. With a one way front, driving the car is very forgiving. Very flat and the car seems very sure footed in the sweepers and turning tight hairpins. I'm sure many will agree with me on this.
Old 12-26-2003, 08:42 AM
Tech Prophet

Default Re: Re: G4 or HPI R40???

Originally posted by Sow&Steady
3- 705
Old 12-27-2003, 07:12 AM
Tech Adept

I see that there's a little controversy with the serpents and the mugens, but they are out of my budget anyway.

I'd like to know more pro's and cons of the g4 and the r40.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:13 AM
Tech Regular

Originally posted by InitialD
Why did you get MTX-3 since at that time it was not proven yet?

I don't now, nor did I ever own an MTX-3. I would never buy a Mugen, no local support and in my opinion Mugen just copies designs.

Also, does it take Hara to win with a R40 to make you buy one?

No it didnt. I bought the car to run in the HPI Challenges. The only car you can run there. Otherwise I would have stuck with my NTC3. That said however, the R40 is very good and I really like it now that I have it.

My point is, every car needs to start somewhere.

I agree, but telling somebody to buy a car that you haven't seen proven just because its new is wrong. The veteq was the new car at one point and look where that got a lot of people. If you are going to recommend something it should be pointed out that its a new car and there are risks associated with it and it could have more problems than others.

I can tell you it drives like a dream out of the box with the stock settings. With a one way front, driving the car is very forgiving. Very flat and the car seems very sure footed in the sweepers and turning tight hairpins. I'm sure many will agree with me on this.

Glad you like your 710.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:20 AM
Regional Moderator

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally posted by 2000xp8
I see that there's a little controversy with the serpents and the mugens, but they are out of my budget anyway.

I'd like to know more pro's and cons of the g4 and the r40.
Good luck getting them back on the subject! This is what usually happens with these threads. Your best bet is to go to the individual threads and just sit back and do some reading.

I know you may figure that you wont hear anything but good stuff about the cars in their own threads, but you'd be surprised. Within' the car threads, drivers are more likely to admit problems, discuss things their not happy with, and things like that.

Where as on a thread like this, it turns into everyone defending their purchase against everyone else. If you don't have time to read both the individual threads......

.......well, like I said, good luck getting any useful info from here...
Old 12-27-2003, 08:32 AM
Tech Prophet

I agree, but telling somebody to buy a car that you haven't seen proven just because its new is wrong. The veteq was the new car at one point and look where that got a lot of people. If you are going to recommend something it should be pointed out that its a new car and there are risks associated with it and it could have more problems than others.
I'm sorry but I did not mention anywhere to buy the car. I hope I got that set straight. Perhaps the person who recommended it is an ardent Serpent fan.

I agree that there will definitely be issues with any new cars. Any car would not be rid free of problems. No car out there is perfect.

That said, I've run close to 20 tanks till to date and I'm so far very pleased with the 710's build quality. In terms of corner speed and acceleration the 710 definitely gets top notch.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:34 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally posted by Darkseid
Your best bet is to go to the individual threads and just sit back and do some reading.
Yes. Good advice. Let good judgement and common sense prevail.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:22 PM

Well I chose the R40 as my other car, b/c it's design doesn't have any obvious weak points as far as durability and the parts are actually cheaper than associated parts. The serpent is lighter but it's also got a lot of lightweight parts to get it there(can you say bent AL pivot ball?) I also liked the R40s heavy duty tyle rubber belts (not urethane). As for the G4; great car, maybe the best, but very difficult and expensive to get parts for(why do you think that is in the US?), so unless you want to buy two or even three of them I wouldn't consider it. I like all three, I still might get a 710, depending on how they go for when demand goes down, but for now it's the very durable and easy to work on R40.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:44 AM
Tech Regular

I Have no local parts support for anything but the NTC3 and have had no problems ordering parts online for my MTX3. I went with it because the kit needs very little if any improvement Box Stock. The R40 doesn't come with a front oneway.After building my kit came the real expence which is everything else needed. I Paid $325 for my kit and Final initial cost was over $800 and that was after going easy on the servo's radio motor Exhaust sys. Starterbox chargers and building my own battery packs. Base price of the kit really shouldn't matter as much after you take it all in to account. Best advise LOOK at e-bay its after christmas now and VERY good used cars are going Cheap. I just picked up an NTC3 complete 2 sp and OS15 smallblock with radio for under $200 shipped. Just to have a good car to play in the parkinglot with the kids. But I've seen some really nice complete cars with Nova Rossi and RB motors and upgrades go for $400.A new Kit is Very nice but if your on a budget you can get more bang for your buck with good research and a bit of patience. Good Luck and Happy Holidays !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.