Wiki Posts
Search

Longevity of an engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Longevity of an engine ?

Quick question,
I will be purchasing 966 kit here in near future, I am a new comer to nitro on road racing and with this I have few questions:

1. I would like to get some ideas on what engines to consider ?

2. I believe that you get what you pay for.

2. What is approximate longevity of an engine that is used for racing and well taking care of ?

3. I will be racing every other weekend during a season, will engine last season long ?

Respectfully
Armed
Old 06-19-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

this is what was suggested when i asked this question

http://kamikazercracing.com/proddetail.php?prod=51219

or

http://kamikazercracing.com/proddeta...359Race21TUNED
Old 06-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Engine

Originally Posted by Armedforces0331
Quick question,
I will be purchasing 966 kit here in near future, I am a new comer to nitro on road racing and with this I have few questions:

2. What is approximate longevity of an engine that is used for racing and well taking care of ?

3. I will be racing every other weekend during a season, will engine last season long ?

Respectfully
Armed
I buy probably 90% of my engines from Kamikaze <Sam> and the Pico Evo is a good engine, and then you can step up to the Novarossi 359 tuned, Colari, or Max engine. Give Sam a call, and he will hook you up with what you need. I just purchased the new 966 from Sam and installed the Colari Cordoba engine in it. I also have the Novarossi 359 tuned, and three Pico Evo engines among other engines I have purchased from Sam.
You can usually get three gallons of fuel from the Novarossi engines before they need a piston, sleeve<this is normal> The Pico will go a little longer between rebuilds, but they are not as quick as the Novarossi based engines, but are still very good, fast motors.It is pretty much a matter of preference, and dollars.I am happy will the Pico engines, and the Novarossi based engines.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)
Talking

Quick question,

Respectfully
Armed

I would suggest a Novarossi based engine and dont waste your money in the Picco engines,yeah they are affordable but you pay for what you get,i speak from expereince with Picco engines , Sam at Kamikaze has the Nova engines ,i think the best right now for your money is the MaxPower TQXL9 or XL7 great engine for the price you will not go wrong with it .
Old 06-19-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Lord

I am a new comer to nitro on road racing
And thats why it is not wise to sugest over the top engines. I would say to go for a JP P7L. It is a Novarossi based engine fast enough to start with but most of all easy to tune and because the tiny lower specs lots of lifespan to expect. Also the 5mm crankpin makes it more reliable compared with the over the top engines using a smaller crankpin.

And most of all, the engine is affordable.
Old 06-19-2009, 01:44 PM
rjr
Tech Adept

Welcome to the world of 1/8th On Road!

1. - There are many good engines out there but, I prefer Novarossi engines. They are fast and reliable.
You don't need the top of the line engine starting out. This engine would suit your needs until you reach the upper echelon of racing.
http://www.novarossiusa.com/product_...products_id=49

2. - Generally speaking, this is true.

3. & 4. - A season on a Novarossi engine should not be a problem. I've had some that I've ran for 2 - 3 seasons at a local club level. Just remember to periodically change the rod to prevent the unexpected blown engine - it's well worth the money.
Old 06-19-2009, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

+1 Novarossi
Old 06-19-2009, 02:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

MAX XL9 very good very fast
Old 06-20-2009, 02:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Gentleman,
Thank you all for your responses, like I said I am new to nitro on road so I will be asking questions, here and there.

Respectfully
Armed
Old 06-20-2009, 07:18 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default DO NOT BUY SIRIO EVO III .12

Last edited by xxx123; 06-20-2009 at 08:32 AM. Reason: wrongg place
Old 06-21-2009, 05:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quick question,

Respectfully
Armed

Get the Novarossi Flash .21....its superb...
Old 06-21-2009, 07:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hello,

You did say you are new to onroad racing, the picco evo3 is a great engine to start racing with. Once you begin winning and think you need more engine you can buy a Nova. The piccos are built with very good material and will last with just slightly less rpm than the Novas for alot less $. Whatever you do you cant go wrong with either of the 2.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:30 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I know alot of new and not so new guys at our club tend to like the Novarossi R1 Kangaroo & 321P engines. These are great motors with plenty of power and they last a long time if maintained right. Also very easy to tune and break-in. I got 9 gallons out of mine my first year racing. It was running perfect when I decided to move up to the 35 plus 21 engines. There are about 4 guys at our club who still run this motor and love them. You can find them new on ebay for around $300-$350. They are the workhorse of the novarossi line.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:36 PM
Tech Rookie

I base how long I think my engines will last on how smoothly the break in period goes, and I tend to knock off some time if my temp runs too high.
Old 06-22-2009, 12:30 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Not all all engines are built equal so longevity is a difficult answer and there are to many variables