Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree3Likes

Team Magic G4RS 2009

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Sp Racer
"theoretical" top speed is generally irrelevant.

In my experience, It's more about how quickly the car goes from point A to point B.

You'll find that even on the shortest gearing, the RS09 will not be far off the gearing required to suit the rpm range that today's engines put out.
Very true ... Dario gets by ok!
But interesting nonetheless that TM have adopted a different approach.
Old 12-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=Chickentrader;6788831]Thanks for that tip, I was not aware of this. Where do you find the information? I'll have a look at it very soon. Changing the mid shaft pulleys to one pip bigger would satisfy my concerns.

QUOTE]

See here...

http://www.cometrc.com/index.php?opt...news&Itemid=50
Old 12-31-2009, 05:18 PM
Tech Rookie

In my experience, It's more about how quickly the car goes from point A to point B.

You'll find that even on the shortest gearing, the RS09 will not be far off the gearing required to suit the rpm range that today's engines put out.
Luis:

Are we going to hear any New Years Day announcements of you racing the Xray NT1 for HEI International today?

Hehehehehe
Old 12-31-2009, 07:43 PM
Tech Elite

Default MODulus gears.

Originally Posted by getpip
Hi..
I have had both problems. You have to be very careful with your choice of gears and mesh them carefully.
The (also common) pipe problem doesnt help as it tends to tempt you to angle the motor slightly.
I was using the 2607 pipe and had this problem unless the tyres were well under 60mm.
Im now going to try the GRP pipe as Im told it works well with the piccos.
Happy New Year Pip..
FYI
Gearing on our TM Touring cars are constant diameter.. changing the spurs or pinions wont change the engine position. The split between the pinions and spurs is 4mm from memory.

Ive noticed that the sirio pipes are longer.
Old 12-31-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

Default Requesting a cross check.

Originally Posted by afm
According to my electronic gear ratio and speed calculator, G4RS08 has an internal final gear ratio of 2.190, and the G4RS09 has 1.952.

This means you need to place bigger pinions and smaller spurs on the RS09 to equalize speeds with the RS=08.

For example, if you put on an RS09 car a 17-63 and 22-56 combination, you get "almost" same speeds as an RS08 with 16-51 and 21-46 combination. Both at 35,000rpm

AFM

AFM would you care to check the transmission ratios of your calc against mine. I didnt bother to include the side pulleys. I just used the rear drive ratio as it was simpler to calc the pinions, spurs, trans and diff pulleys.

http://www.beachmumsracing.org.au/fyi/speed-calc/

h
Old 12-31-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Happy new year lads!

Luis:

Are we going to hear any New Years Day announcements of you racing the Xray NT1 for HEI International today?

Hehehehehe
No, no announcement ! whishful thinking !
That's not going to happen, I think you'll find HEI probably already has enough drivers racing the NT1 for them. I'm quite happy mechanic-ing at this stage ( getting old )

Hopefully be out testing in the next few days, car has not been driven since the nats - weather is crap in Melb at the moment

Originally Posted by blis
FYI
Gearing on our TM Touring cars are constant diameter.. changing the spurs or pinions wont change the engine position. The split between the pinions and spurs is 4mm from memory.

Ive noticed that the sirio pipes are longer.
New cars are different H , only certain combos work - still very hard to get clearance with 2611 pipe, but you can do it with a bit of tweaking

re. gearing, we we running almost the lowest possible gearing available at Moorebank with the XXX - no top speed issues

Lars, don't forget, the earlier RS has the ED transmission, different ratios (which was) a re-hashed version to cope with the rpm and power of the new engines.

The new cars has a totally different final drive, and due to the smaller and lighter diffs , can get away with being "taller" than say a RRR's tranny.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks Luis,
The speed was only included as a point of trivia that could be of some interest. I found Harry's calculator really interesting, and, I wanted to check front drive ratios as well as 1st gear. We have had some discussions in my club about the road speed of a 540 electric, so it helps with some info.

My concern was basically over revving the engines, the differences only came to light when I tried it out. and it did concerned me a little so I put the query out. I believe you when you say that the tallest gearing is all right. but being a little conservative I may try something (at Brendale)a little taller if I find an alternative.

Kindest regards,
Lars.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:05 PM
Tech Elite

Default Luis

Happy new year lads!

New cars are different H , only certain combos work - still very hard to get clearance with 2611 pipe, but you can do it with a bit of tweaking
NOT MODULUS .8 gears anymore? Seriously?
Old 12-31-2009, 11:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blis
NOT MODULUS .8 gears anymore? Seriously?
Yes, .8 Module gears, but unlike the old car, 15,16,17 pinions vary in o/d , as do the 20,21,22 ( on the old car, they were the same , so you could run any combo)

I'm pretty sure the o/d of the spurs also change dependent on the tooth count
Old 12-31-2009, 11:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

i run the stock gearing at moorebank and i have no top end issues..353 09 with short manfold and 2652 pipe..i also went to 64 58 with high grip at the nationals with no problem
Old 01-01-2010, 12:38 AM
Tech Elite

Default Ouch

Yes, .8 Module gears, but unlike the old car, 15,16,17 pinions vary in o/d , as do the 20,21,22 ( on the old car, they were the same , so you could run any combo)

I'm pretty sure the o/d of the spurs also change dependent on the tooth count
So the step between the spurs and pinions varies and you need a whole set of pinion/spur gears to get a mesh..

*shrugs* My first experience was nothing short of a struggle learning the concept of constant O/D, Module / Metric gearing and variable pitch.. (Head in between hands...sigh)
Old 01-01-2010, 01:03 AM
Tech Rookie

Happy new year lads!

No, no announcement ! whishful thinking !
That's not going to happen, I think you'll find HEI probably already has enough drivers racing the NT1 for them. I'm quite happy mechanic-ing at this stage ( getting old )

Hopefully be out testing in the next few days, car has not been driven since the nats - weather is crap in Melb at the moment

re. gearing, we we running almost the lowest possible gearing available at Moorebank with the XXX - no top speed issues

Lars, don't forget, the earlier RS has the ED transmission, different ratios (which was) a re-hashed version to cope with the rpm and power of the new engines.

The new cars has a totally different final drive, and due to the smaller and lighter diffs , can get away with being "taller" than say a RRR's tranny.
Luis:

Thats a shame... didn't get any major v8 supercar announcements either!
Old 01-01-2010, 03:35 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Front Droop!

Hi

I am in the process of building a 09 RS... Can't work out the front droop set screws. I have just installed the front lower arms and what i thought was the droop screws in the front bulkheads don't touch the arms! Have i missed something???

Thanks
Old 01-01-2010, 03:52 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by The.Enforcer
Hi

I am in the process of building a 09 RS... Can't work out the front droop set screws. I have just installed the front lower arms and what i thought was the droop screws in the front bulkheads don't touch the arms! Have i missed something???

Thanks
The droop screws do not need to touch the arms most of the time. They are there to limit the down travel of the arms (or the uptravel of the chassis) when the suspension becomes uncompressed.
That said I did find them slightly on the short side and have replaced them with longer ones.
It will become clear when you have finished yor build and you come to set the car up.
Old 01-01-2010, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by The.Enforcer
Hi

Thanks
The 5 mm set screws that the instruction manual suggests are too short to set a very little front droop. Use 8 mm set screws instead.

Kindest regards,
Lars

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.