Team Magic G4RS 2009 >

Team Magic G4RS 2009

Like Tree3Likes

Team Magic G4RS 2009

Old 07-26-2009, 11:55 PM
Tech Elite

Default Great report

Originally Posted by gtrmx
So now I am back from my race weekend. Soar throat from all the shouting, sunburned despite using plenty of sun block, soar finger tips from all the hand-washing with Orange Clean, lacking sleep... perfect race weekend!!!

After changing my shock oil from 90 to 70 and then to 30 (Losi) I kept on finding a few tenths here and there. Also went back to 50k rear diff oil from 10k I had tried on saturday. I chenged tires from RB to Matrix and that also contributed to improvement. I ended up qualifying to the A-main on the last of seven direct positions. Rest of mains are also 7 driver groups and three bump-ups complete grids of ten on each main. Around 40 drivers total.

By the time the A main came I knew I had a competitive car!! After the first refueling stop I was already in 3rd place and working my way up to the leader!!!! Very unfortunately I used the wrong kind of filter oil and my Novarossi 353 09 kissed good bye after dust found its way into the engine...

So I ended up at 10th place after my DNF, but not all is lost for me because I recorded the fastest lap of the A-main after only 7 mins out of 40 into the race!!!

I was usually off-pace at this track (Queretaro) by .7 to 1 full second, back when using other cars.

I am not saying that the G4RS 09 simply made me gain .7 a lap out of the blue, but qualifying 7th and running the fastest A-main lap with .2 secs clear of the next fastest has to be extremely significant!!!

The car reacted to setup changes in a predictable and subtle form. Changing shock oils, wheelbase, tires, diff oil all produced a noticeable change, but the car was never rendered impossible to drive!! So little by little I got to a point that the car was dialed-in, just in time for the main!!

There is no turning back for me!! I will have to park my other car!!

Despite my DNF, I am absolutely happy with my G4RS 09!!! From the first laps I was already impressed with its handling!! It was the very first time I had put the car on a race track or on the ground for that matter.

I have to say I found a few issues here and there, but there was no one-way problems or even hint of it, at all!!! Just keep it lubed and there should be no issues. I changed to Kyosho shocks just to make quick changes as I suspect a problem with the seal of the stock TM shocks. Further testing is necessary here, though!

Hating to admit it, I also tested the car`s durabilty (not because I wanted it) while finding its limits!! Hit the wall at back straight at least 3 times during the weekend. I am sure those blows would have injured my Kyosho, but I happy to report that NOTHING broke! On friday, one pebble found its way into my rear diff and stripped the pulley. Nonetheless, the belt did not suffer at all!!

Now finally, I`m getting some decent sleep!!
Nice work
Old 07-27-2009, 12:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Well, looks like I can't resist and will be picking up G4RS.

Being completely new to Team Magic, I have a few questions:

1 - what pinion and spur gears are standard with the G4RS?
2 - what shock and diff oils are standard with the G4RS?
3 - is there a stock setup sheet anywhere?
4 - do TM make shock and diff oils, or do most use other brands?
5 - are there any clutch options for the TM? stiffer clutch spring? harder shoe?
6 - are there any anti-roll bar options (ie, thicker bar)?
7 - is there a TM spring chart anywhere? What are the standard shock springs that come with the car?
Old 07-27-2009, 01:37 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Novarossi
Well, looks like I can't resist and will be picking up G4RS.

Being completely new to Team Magic, I have a few questions:

1 - what pinion and spur gears are standard with the G4RS?
2 - what shock and diff oils are standard with the G4RS?
3 - is there a stock setup sheet anywhere?
4 - do TM make shock and diff oils, or do most use other brands?
5 - are there any clutch options for the TM? stiffer clutch spring? harder shoe?
6 - are there any anti-roll bar options (ie, thicker bar)?
7 - is there a TM spring chart anywhere? What are the standard shock springs that come with the car?

OK, here is what we have learnt so far ( only 1 club day )

1 - 16/22 is the standard pinion gears, should work ok for moorebank ( 2nd was slightly on the tall side at Lilydale, we used Sirio XXX)

2- Std shock oils are 600 , diff is 50,000 - re. the diff, resist the temptation to use a lighter diff oil ! because the gears are so small, you will find that 50k feels like 20k - I'm thinking to be "ballpark" - add 30k to what you think would be right ( i.e. to feel like 50, use 80 )

3 - setup sheet can be downloaded off the TM website ( there's something !) - they also have an "editable" version

4 - K factory make shock & diff oils , speak to Ari

5 - Not sure yet, but I've had a quick look, seems you can fit the sirio clutch in there, no problem - i'll be trying this tonight, we used the kit clutch with a CRF spring and a grub screw in each swing weight, will measure gaps etc and post later ( not bad, but sirio clutch is better)

6 - Again, not sure, but the shape is very reminiscent of the Mugen bars for the MTX4 , I'll check tonight ( doubt you'd want much harder )

7 - The stock springs are fairly hard, for a reason - the '09 has possibly the longest arms of any of the tourers, and hence the biggest leverage on the shock.
You'll find the springs are pretty close to the money, but as a reference, if you compare with Ky and Mug , they are about the same or harder as the "harder" dark blues from either brand.

Couple of extra tips:

#8 / If you are using "+" offset wheels ( i.e Jaco) , beware of adjusting your rear pillow balls in too far as the driveshafts will bottom out in the rear diff out drives and hence limit suspension up-travel.

#9 / When building the rear diff, before assembly, slightly countersink the 4 holes where the 4 screws that hold the diff together go in ( 0.5mm is enough) - this allows you to tighten the screws without deforming the area where the "O" ring seals..

#10 / When assembling the brake rod, before you cut it, allow some extra length to place a piece of fuel tubing between the stopper and the arm.
If you use the stopper only, you will find the brakes are super aggressive and this makes the car "double steer" as you turn in and brake. ( you can use a 16" bicycle spoke bent to shape )
Old 07-27-2009, 03:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Pattojnr
i think it was self explanitory
Hi Paul

I thought Luis was saying TM was shithouse!!!!

Ohh well my bad i guess:P

BB
Old 07-27-2009, 03:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sp Racer
The problem with TM is that they still haven't clicked.

To make the car fast "worldwide" they ( the factory) need to support the distributors and hence help sponsor some good drivers to develop the product.....not to mention trying to stay loyal to their distributors, but that is a whole other paragraph.

Look at Xray, Serpent, Kyosho, Mugen - now Shepherd, Team Pursuit(edam) are starting to do the same .....want to play with the big boys? then pay attention to what they are doing...."team"

Other than Dario and the Italian team, who else anywhere in the world is even remotely close to their performance ? NOBODY......and I don't want to read about some 11 y.o. winning a B championship against ? (no insults or disrespect to anyone) - why?.....TM HAS NO TEAM COMMUNICATION.....best place (only place IMHO) for any TM speak is right here unfortunately.

Where on their website is Dario's setup for the 09 - nowhere
Where is Dario's report on the race meeting? - nowhere
Where are the pics of Dario's car on their website? - nowhere
Where is any mention of the testing of the new platform? - nowhere!!

But however, you can read about the RTR cup results in Brazil with 6 entrants.(again, no insults or disrespect to anyone)...please....

See my trend?......no information sharing....now go read through Xray's website.

Support means information - use their website to "communicate" the TM drivers all over the world....provide the importer with assistance ( parts?) to help the racer promote and develop the product and hence improve sales ..

TM has to realise that for the marque to gain respect and creedence, they must provide this SUPPORT, not just palm it off on the importer to take care of it....

Now I feel better

p.s. Aussie drivers - Brendan & I will be once again wearing the orange and grey! We are using the RS09 at the upcoming Nationals.

Luis:

This is good to hear you are staying around. What happened to the other brand car you where looking at?

BB
Old 07-27-2009, 04:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Does the g4rs come with an internal fuel filter?
Old 07-27-2009, 04:19 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Yes

Originally Posted by 123unknown
I believe it does,glad to hear all the tips an tricks here on this thread im sure TM is listening.They did a great job on this car ,at the Euros the car did make people stand an take notice. Also this a joke i mean a buddy joke to my friends here Florida they know who they are not bad for a RTR.(Ps this is joke between friends)
Old 07-27-2009, 04:21 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by 123unknown
Yes it does most of the newer cars come with a prebuild filter.
Old 07-27-2009, 04:27 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by gtrmx
So now I am back from my race weekend. Soar throat from all the shouting, sunburned despite using plenty of sun block, soar finger tips from all the hand-washing with Orange Clean, lacking sleep... perfect race weekend!!!

After changing my shock oil from 90 to 70 and then to 30 (Losi) I kept on finding a few tenths here and there. Also went back to 50k rear diff oil from 10k I had tried on saturday. I chenged tires from RB to Matrix and that also contributed to improvement. I ended up qualifying to the A-main on the last of seven direct positions. Rest of mains are also 7 driver groups and three bump-ups complete grids of ten on each main. Around 40 drivers total.

By the time the A main came I knew I had a competitive car!! After the first refueling stop I was already in 3rd place and working my way up to the leader!!!! Very unfortunately I used the wrong kind of filter oil and my Novarossi 353 09 kissed good bye after dust found its way into the engine...

So I ended up at 10th place after my DNF, but not all is lost for me because I recorded the fastest lap of the A-main after only 7 mins out of 40 into the race!!!

I was usually off-pace at this track (Queretaro) by .7 to 1 full second, back when using other cars.

I am not saying that the G4RS 09 simply made me gain .7 a lap out of the blue, but qualifying 7th and running the fastest A-main lap with .2 secs clear of the next fastest has to be extremely significant!!!

The car reacted to setup changes in a predictable and subtle form. Changing shock oils, wheelbase, tires, diff oil all produced a noticeable change, but the car was never rendered impossible to drive!! So little by little I got to a point that the car was dialed-in, just in time for the main!!

There is no turning back for me!! I will have to park my other car!!

Despite my DNF, I am absolutely happy with my G4RS 09!!! From the first laps I was already impressed with its handling!! It was the very first time I had put the car on a race track or on the ground for that matter.

I have to say I found a few issues here and there, but there was no one-way problems or even hint of it, at all!!! Just keep it lubed and there should be no issues. I changed to Kyosho shocks just to make quick changes as I suspect a problem with the seal of the stock TM shocks. Further testing is necessary here, though!

Hating to admit it, I also tested the car`s durabilty (not because I wanted it) while finding its limits!! Hit the wall at back straight at least 3 times during the weekend. I am sure those blows would have injured my Kyosho, but I happy to report that NOTHING broke! On friday, one pebble found its way into my rear diff and stripped the pulley. Nonetheless, the belt did not suffer at all!!

Now finally, I`m getting some decent sleep!!
Good stuff man, sorry to hear about your engine.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (94%+)

has anyone tried shimmimg some up down travel in the ackerman servo saver area? it seams a bit excessive or is it normal?
Old 07-27-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hello, may I know if this model has problem for engaging to 2nd gear?
Old 07-27-2009, 06:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Mine has been problem free so far. I did notice that compared to my G4RS 08, the (useful)adjustment range can get a bit narrow. Still not a problem though.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hello Adrian
It does not have any problems, altought if you go with the stock set up it shifts much earlier. so you sould turn the screws 1/8th clockwise. At Least that what i have done
Thanks
Old 07-27-2009, 06:41 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 2spd

Originally Posted by AdrianOngs
Hello, may I know if this model has problem for engaging to 2nd gear?
Did you scuff the shoes an the 2spd housing with sandpaper i think 180 or 220 grit should be fine.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by mrgsr
has anyone tried shimmimg some up down travel in the ackerman servo saver area? it seams a bit excessive or is it normal?
Do you mean between the chassis and top deck??

I did not notice that, but I had a full three-day race just this last weekend and had no problems with the steering!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.