R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro On-Road

Old 06-03-2011, 12:20 AM   #1621
Tech Apprentice

Aftering doing a a major service on my G4RS 09 over the last week it is now good to hit the pavement once more.

For those interested I did the following.

1. Replaced all the pulleys (several badly damaged ones).

2. Replaced the three belts (the front one was missing two teeth and was torn in half along a 1cm strip). For those interested don't set them too tight initially as it can cause tension in the drive train... took me a while to figure that out.

3. Replaced all the bearings in the car with decent Tamiya Bearings (two of them were completely shot from the Front CVD's).

4. Replaced my 50,000 weight diff fluid... it was as dark as dark could be as I last changed it back in September 2010.

5. Replaced the rear two speed shaft as well as the belt pulley holder as it was jammed on tight due to me stuffing it up during the build.

6. Rebuilt the shocks and replaced the fluid in them as they were only half full.

7. Replaced the glow plug with a new RB6.

8. Added the new K Factory One Way in the front as I keep loosing bluddy set screws from the solid axle (anybody know a trick at all as Loctite Blue has failed and I am one step off using CA or Loctite Red).

Apart from that between waiting on parts the rebuild only took 2 - 3 days to complete... pretty good effort and this car is really a joy to work on

As per the conversation above I look forward to seeing what TM do this year with the cars... one can hope that they keep the TM Style fuel tank as that thing kinda sets the car apart from others.
LRP LiPo RX PACK AAA HUMP 1700 RX 7.4v with MuchMore MRG-5A Regulator
KO PROPO EX-10 EURUS Transmitter with KR-407S Receiver
flynia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:24 AM   #1622
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp Racer View Post
Do you want me to answer Harry ?
Replace the T with a K ??? hehe

Yes please Luis, your 2c worth always appreciates in value over time

PS: Been super busy at work.. need to burn some DVD's hey?!!
blis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:00 AM   #1623
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blis View Post
Replace the T with a K ??? hehe

Yes please Luis, your 2c worth always appreciates in value over time

PS: Been super busy at work.. need to burn some DVD's hey?!!

So the question:

Quote:
Where do you think the TM as a car loses in performance compared with other modern chassis designs?
The RS09 was seemingly a very good car , everything looks to be pretty much in the right places, low CG ,small clutch , light diffs & drivetrain , narrow flex adjustable chassis...etc etc

Regardless of what we did , the car would be inconsistent.

At its worst , we'd start a 5 min heat with the car looking extremely good in the warm up , by the 3 minute mark it would be snap oversteering and by the 4 minute mark it was almost undriveable.

The higher the grip and/or track temp , the worse it got.

We tried everything (and you know when I say everything I mean everything ) - shocks , springs , shock angles , different shocks , bodyshells , tyre splits ,shores , tyre brands etc etc - always had that inherent behaviour where you felt like you were second guessing the car on every corner entry and exit.

Over a single lap it is as good as anything else, but good luck getting it to stay like that for say a 20 min semi.

After a final which we managed to complete , I was amazed when I noticed I could grab the rear wheel and twist the rear arms at almost 90deg !, they had softened up due to heat soak from engine , exhaust and track temp....no wonder the shock settings made little difference.

Sure , K factory offer a multitude of alloy upgrades, hardened arms etc etc...

Team Magic have a slogan "stylish yet functional" , in my opinion TM spend too much time on the " stylish " and not enough on the "functional" ... typical example , look at the shocks on the RS09 , build them out of the box , they leak everywhere.

The RS 09 was supposedly designed by racers , but TM's choice of materials , particularly the suspension arms was poor...I guess a side effect of not having a proper race team as such.

Frustrating , I spent countless hours paying meticulous attention to having the car as perfect as could be, with no reward from the car .
You go to the track and you see everyone else using other products and NOT having the same problems you have .

Heaven forbid you break something and you don't have a spare , no other kits are even remotely similar.

Since the switch to KM , If I'm at the track and "say" I haven't got a spare and:

- I strip a spur , all Xray ones fit
- I break a rear suspension arm / front or rear upright , Xray fits
- I strip a belt , Mugen , Xray , Kyosho
-I can use Sirio clutch , Capricorn clutch, Kyosho clutch , Xray clutch , Xray pinions etc etc etc..

The list goes on and on...best of all , car works perfect straight out of the box with no fancy bits .

there you go - I feel cleansed now !
Sp Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #1624
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
So the question:

The RS09 was seemingly a very good car , everything looks to be pretty much in the right places, low CG ,small clutch , light diffs & drivetrain , narrow flex adjustable chassis...etc etc

At its worst , we'd start a 5 min heat with the car looking extremely good in the warm up , by the 3 minute mark it would be snap oversteering and by the 4 minute mark it was almost undriveable.

We tried everything (and you know when I say everything I mean everything ) - shocks , springs , shock angles , different shocks , bodyshells , tyre splits ,shores , tyre brands etc etc - always had that inherent behaviour where you felt like you were second guessing the car on every corner entry and exit.

Over a single lap it is as good as anything else, but good luck getting it to stay like that for say a 20 min semi.

After a final which we managed to complete , I was amazed when I noticed I could grab the rear wheel and twist the rear arms at almost 90deg !, they had softened up due to heat soak from engine , exhaust and track temp....no wonder the shock settings made little difference.

Team Magic have a slogan "stylish yet functional" , in my opinion TM spend too much time on the " stylish " and not enough on the "functional" ... typical example , look at the shocks on the RS09 , build them out of the box , they leak everywhere.

The RS 09 was supposedly designed by racers , but TM's choice of materials , particularly the suspension arms was poor...I guess a side effect of not having a proper race team as such.

Frustrating , I spent countless hours paying meticulous attention to having the car as perfect as could be, with no reward from the car .
You go to the track and you see everyone else using other products and NOT having the same problems you have .

Heaven forbid you break something and you don't have a spare , no other kits are even remotely similar.

Since the switch to KM , If I'm at the track and "say" I haven't got a spare and:

-I can use Sirio clutch , Capricorn clutch, Kyosho clutch , Xray clutch , Xray pinions etc etc etc..

The list goes on and on...best of all , car works perfect straight out of the box with no fancy bits .

Thank you Luis for sharing, appreciated as always!

Andrew
Old 06-03-2011, 07:07 AM   #1625
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to impalabob64
Default +1

Quote:
So the question:

That somes it up right there,
impalabob64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 07:07 AM   #1626
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Luis:

Do you think this is the same on the G4RS 2008 edition with the Flying Wing arms? And would this then make the G4S, G4 Evo a better car with the older arms and plastic?

Andrew
Old 06-21-2011, 04:26 AM   #1627
Tech Adept

I don't know why...but I'm still a TM fan. For me the G4 works great. I hope that TM will force the nitro sedan class and work again with popular driver(s) to compete with other 1/10 nitro brands.
Italboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:50 PM   #1628
abi
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italboy View Post
I don't know why...but I'm still a TM fan. For me the G4 works great. I hope that TM will force the nitro sedan class and work again with popular driver(s) to compete with other 1/10 nitro brands.
I feel the same way as you italboy, but I do think the horse has bolted for TM 1/10 onroad competition cars. I think TM are focusing on the backyard toy side of the hobby with the drift cars and offroad trucks and buggys and competition is not on the radar for them.

I think the racing market is over crowded anyway so having a manufacturer drop out is no bad thing.

TM's web site has not had any onroad updates this year!

Heres a question, who is the worlds current highest ranking TM onroad racer?

I still have my 7 x TM onroad cars and race 2 of them every week at club nights.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:27 AM   #1629
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by abi View Post
I feel the same way as you italboy, but I do think the horse has bolted for TM 1/10 onroad competition cars. I think TM are focusing on the backyard toy side of the hobby with the drift cars and offroad trucks and buggys and competition is not on the radar for them.

I think the racing market is over crowded anyway so having a manufacturer drop out is no bad thing.

TM's web site has not had any onroad updates this year!

Heres a question, who is the worlds current highest ranking TM onroad racer?

I still have my 7 x TM onroad cars and race 2 of them every week at club nights.
You are definetly right abi.

I still ride my 2 TM G4RS09. But now I'm actually building the KM H-K1.
I hope to have also a lot of fun with it!

The highest ranking TM onroad racer at the moment?...I really have no idea..

I'm also thinking about to buy the G4+ Limited Edition Kit, as this one was really a unique piece of art.. but just for display!
Italboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #1630
abi
Tech Adept

Good choice on the G4+, this was the very nice follow-on from the G4S. After the G4+ came the RS08 which was a bomb in the market and turned people away from the TM brand. I kind of like the G4+evo as a better design than the previous models but it did have some cost containment so needs a few K Factory items.

I still think the RS09 could do with an 'Evo' update about now, throw in some k factory parts and a couple of redesigned components such as the positioning of the body posts and a CF bumper support.

Good luck with your racing, I'll still be racing my ones for a while yet.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:57 AM   #1631
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Guys,

Just quick question ... K14234 Brake disk fit on RS09 ? ...

thanks !!

Pato
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 01:46 PM   #1632
Tech Adept

yes it fits on the g4rs
peter. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #1633
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Tabushi Send a message via Yahoo to Tabushi

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter. View Post
yes it fits on the g4rs

Any experiences with it ? ...

Im doing a full rebuild of my RS09 for July nationals at my country ...

thanks,

E-Mail : [email protected]
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/patoconcha
Whatsapp : +56 9 66165085
Tabushi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:23 PM   #1634
Tech Adept

Default Thank you..

Sadly due to the bad economy and lack of support we will be closing our doors.

Everything will be going, contact us to inquire on what we have left.

Best regards
Anna Arze
[email protected]
MACHINARIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:27 AM   #1635
Tech Adept

does anyone know when the new Team Magic Nitro 1 / 10 comes out
peter. is offline   Reply With Quote